Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Burned Biscuits (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/burned-biscuits-t89879.html)

Lady-T 01-12-2011 11:03 AM

When I was a kid, my Mom liked to make breakfast food for dinner every now and then. And I remember one night in particular when she had made breakfast after a long, hard day at work. On that evening so long ago, my Mom placed a plate of eggs, sausage and extremely burned biscuits in front of my dad. I remember waiting to see if anyone noticed! Yet all my dad did was reach for his biscuit, smile at my Mom and ask me how my day was at school. I don't remember what I told him that night, but I do remember watching him smear butter and jelly on that biscuit and eat every bite!

When I got up from the table that evening, I remember hearing my Mom apologize to my dad for burning the biscuits. And I'll never forget what he said: "Honey, I love burned biscuits." Later that night, I went to kiss Daddy good night and I asked him if he really liked his biscuits burned. He wrapped me in his arms and said, “Your Momma put in a hard day at work today and she's real tired. And besides a little burned biscuit never hurt anyone!" Life is full of imperfect things and imperfect people. I'm not the best at hardly anything, and I forget birthdays and anniversaries just like everyone else. But what I've learned over the years is that learning to accept each other's faults - and choosing to celebrate each others differences - is one of the most important keys to creating a healthy, growing, and lasting relationship.

We could extend this to any relationship. In fact, understanding is the base of any relationship, be it a husband-wife or parent-child or friendship! "Don't put the key to your happiness in someone else's pocket -keep it in your own."

So Please pass me a biscuit, and yes, the burned one will do just fine. Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

craftybear 01-12-2011 11:07 AM

thanks for sharing with us

leatheflea 01-12-2011 11:08 AM

Your daddy was a very wise man.

Luckynumber7 01-12-2011 11:09 AM

Great story! Thanks for sharing.

C.Cal Quilt Girl 01-12-2011 11:11 AM

Great reminder.... Thanks :)

quiltsRfun 01-12-2011 11:13 AM

In our house we call them "golden brown." LOL

Lady-T 01-12-2011 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
Your daddy was a very wise man.

Leatheflea - I wish this were my story :(
(my Dad left us when I was only 2 yr old so don't really know what it would have been like to grow up with one...good or bad)

I received this in a letter from a very dear friend.

np3 01-12-2011 12:02 PM

Special story, whoever it belongs to...

lovingmama 01-12-2011 12:14 PM

This is wonderful, I wish more people would think like this, but it seems they vanish more and more.

CarrieAnne 01-12-2011 12:20 PM

great story!