Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   On a Fabric Diet So I ...(Finish this Sentence) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-diet-so-i-finish-sentence-t93649.html)

quilt-fanatic 01-25-2011 01:12 AM

I'm on a Fabric Diet so I'm buying books and patterns!
Not much stash to sew from, so I'm getting ideas.

quilterella 01-25-2011 01:31 AM

If you went to the library and and got your books, you could indulge more on fabric...LOL

plainpat 01-25-2011 02:22 AM

I'm not on a fabric diet, but cutting way back.BTW,there are more patterns on line & right on this board than I could ever make.

sew_southern 01-25-2011 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by plainpat
I'm not on a fabric diet, but cutting way back.BTW,there are more patterns on line & right on this board than I could ever make.

I stopped looking at so many books because of all the free patterns online. Too many to choose from. :)

mic-pa 01-25-2011 04:07 AM

I too am on an austarity budget for the time being so started using my fabric to make scrappy quilts. I am on my fourth quilt top and love it. What a variety. Most of my patterns I got off Bonnie Hunters site, quiltville.com Besides there is always newer fabric coming out. but for now I am not buying

sunflower126 01-25-2011 05:14 AM

I too decided while organizing my stash that it is time to use some of what I have. So far I have made a bed runner and a lap quilt this month using only what I have in stock. I will have to buy batting though. Although I did sew a couple of larger pieces of batting together for the lap quilt. I love buying books--quilting as well as novels-but as someone stated you can get many free patterns on line.

Julie in NM 01-25-2011 05:29 AM

...learning to applique. Using odd size pieces from my stash. Also trying NOT to buy more books/mags. Need to use the books I have. There must be a reason I bought them in the first place, right?

Kyiav10 01-25-2011 05:33 AM

Working on UFO's. I don't want to START any new projects this year.

Though I have two in mind which will be OBW's for my sisters. If I find the perfect fabric I will buy this only!!!

Kyia

Hen3rietta 01-25-2011 05:47 AM

I like your turn of phrase - 'fabric diet'. I'm on another group and for a year joined their no-buy challenge and was pretty successful at it but there were times when I wanted to buy something after serious consideration so I challenged myself the next year not to buy on impulse alone. Fabric diet is a perfect description for this. You don't buy on impulse, but you need to treat yourself very occasionally and with great thought when you do.

I have pretty much gone no-buy for everything except what I need to finish projects that I have started - thread, batting, border fabric etc. When I started quilting I bought lots of books on different techniques and styles, some new, some used. I found that what I used my books for was browsing for design ideas when starting a new quilt. I never actually used the patterns. I went through and only kept those that had techniques I wanted to try out in the future, lots of inspirational photos or encyclopedic style for reference.

Diana

quilter1943 01-25-2011 05:48 AM

I'm trying to use up some of my stash, but seem to need backing fabric for every one. Has anyone ever used to "tops" instead of a solid piece for the backing? Just a thought since I have so many scraps.