Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stitch in the Ditch Sewing Machine Foot (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stitch-ditch-sewing-machine-foot-t94887.html)

Jaos 01-29-2011 06:08 AM

How does a stitch in the ditch machine foot work? Does it make it any easier? I've practiced stitch in the ditch on more placemats than I can count and still I'm not satisfied with it.

RJ 01-29-2011 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jaos
How does a stitch in the ditch machine foot work? Does it make it any easier? I've practiced stitch in the ditch on more placemats than I can count and still I'm not satisfied with it.

Well I fell for the claims about this foot---and I do not like it at all----yes it will help keep stitches in the ditch a little better than without---but it does not move the fabric like a walking foot does---and it tends to stop moving easily when using on quilt sandwitched together.

grann of 6 01-29-2011 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jaos

Yes, I have one, and it does help. It pushes the fabric away from that seam so you can get right in there with your needle. I have a new walking foot for my Vikings that has interchangeable feet, so I can do SID, 1/4", and regular stitching with the walking foot. And I forgot to use the SID foot when doing my QAYG yesterday.

Deb watkins 01-29-2011 06:12 AM

Jaos, if you go to the search section, and type in stitch in the ditch, there are many others who have the same question. Our Board members have lots of helpful suggestions! We are always eager to share our tips!

jdiane318 01-29-2011 06:13 AM

I have a Janome and the stitch in the ditch foot has a small divider attached to the middle of the foot, it helps position the foot along the stitching line. Makes it easy to see and follow.

mhunt1717 01-29-2011 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by jdiane318
I have a Janome and the stitch in the ditch foot has a small divider attached to the middle of the foot, it helps position the foot along the stitching line. Makes it easy to see and follow.

Me, too! I love the foot!!

CompulsiveQuilter 01-29-2011 06:51 AM

I am so bad at SID that I use invisible thread. You can still see the "shine" sometimes, but at least not the thread. Is this a good and normal solution? I really can't afford the interchangable-foot walking foot for my Viking. It's my dissatisfaction with SID that forced me to learn FMQ.

jemma 01-29-2011 07:00 AM

i was stitching in the ditch today---pfaff with in built walking foot---my second time only using my new foot--if i ran the guide along the high side [the side the seam is lying underneath ] almost 100% sucsess otherside a couple of boo boos love that foot

feffertim 01-29-2011 07:18 AM

I also have a viking that has a sid and a 1/4 " foot that snaps on the walking foot. It is really great and improves my quilting a lot

brighmet 01-29-2011 09:44 AM

I have found using a smoke colored transparent thread on medium to dark colored fabrics helps to hide the "shiny" clear thread look.