Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Texas Tornado Cake (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/texas-tornado-cake-t95485.html)

olebat 01-31-2011 08:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is not a triditional birthday cake, but our family isn't particullary fond of those dry cakes with overly sweet iceing anyway. We tend to gravitate to the gooey, moist things like good ole German Chocolate, apple spice, carrott cakes and the sweet breads – bannana nut, pumpkin, and blue berries. This Texas Tornado is a blend of some of those flavors in an easy-peasy scratch and dump style recipe.

Thanks Dietter for a reminder that this was in my inventory. There are now several veriations available on the www, (including a chocolate rendition,) but this is the recepie I got the from a coworker, Cheryl Ellis, R.N., in 1987.

Texas Tornado Cake
serves anout 10

1½ cup sugar
2 eggs
2 cups fruit coctail including liquid
¼ cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans)

Mix and cream together everything except brown sugar and nuts. Pour into lightly greesed & floured 13 X 9 X 2 inch cake pan.

Mix brown sugar and nuts together and sprinkle onto the batter.

Bake at 3250F for 40 minutes.

Iceing: Spread on cake while hot
1 stick butter
½ cup evaporated milk
¾ cup sugar
1 cup flaked coconut
Boil the butter, sugar and milk for 2 minutes; add coconut. Spoon over cake as soon as cake is removed from oven.
Cut into squares when cool to serve.

Serve with a fork.

Texas Tornado Cake: Certainly not eye candy with gracefully draped sheets of rolled fondant, or artfully piped sugar ribbons and roses, but it is certainly yummy to the tummy.

amma 01-31-2011 08:11 AM

Thank your for sharing, this sounds really good :D:D:D

clem55 01-31-2011 10:34 AM

Just read that recipe to my hubby, now his mouth is watering and he is thinking about going to the store. LOL Like your family, we prefer the heavy moist cakes. Have you ever made an oatmeal spice cake? Delicious!!

sewwhat85 01-31-2011 10:44 AM

sounds good

olebat 01-31-2011 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by clem55
Have you ever made an oatmeal spice cake? Delicious!!

Absolutely! Another fab one is an apple-raisin oatmeal spice cake. More time consuming, but oh, so good. Who needs chocolate? Uh Oh, I'll be in trouble now. I predict more exercise. I have to use the open can of evaporated milk. I had planned to use the open fruit cocktail in regular pancakes. Now I need to refresh the taste buds with the oatmeal spice and the apple-raisin, and the carrot, and the . . .

#1piecemaker 02-01-2011 03:57 AM

This sounds so good. I think it is kin to one of our favorites, Fruit Cocktail Cake. Yum!!

KarenBarnes 02-01-2011 08:41 AM

You should try Earthquake cake. It is a German Chocolate cake with the icing and some cream cheese baked in! Yumm!!

Ritacarl 02-01-2011 09:28 AM

We always called that Fruit Cocktail Cake.

lawsonmugs 02-01-2011 10:11 AM

boy that looks great. may have to try this while snowed in. thanks for the picture,makes it better with a visual. Mary

cheryl rearick 02-01-2011 06:20 PM

not only sounds good but looks delicious :) thank you