Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do I fix this old quilt top? >

How do I fix this old quilt top?

How do I fix this old quilt top?

Old 06-12-2021, 07:38 AM

Default How do I fix this old quilt top?

IThis old quilt top is mostly hand pieced and had insets on the outside of rotting bedsheets. Thinking I could simply replace the insets, I removed them, used them as a template, cut new, and stitched them in. Removed them. Restitched, and on and on. None of the insets are the same size, and from the photographs you can see the star is far more full in some areas than others and will not lay flat. The photos show this quilt top with a pin in the center of the red star and one at the inside peak of the iinsets. Any suggestions without totally ditching it disassembling the entire top? Thanks in advance for your insightful and helpful suggestions.
Old 06-12-2021, 03:45 PM
Power Poster

Sounds like quite an undertaking. I'd love to see it.
Old 06-12-2021, 05:07 PM

No pictures showed up. Sometimes it is because the file size of the image is too big or that you forgot to scrll over to the right to click on "Upload," which sometimes takes a bit to actually get them uploaded.

We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

I have found that only the big red "Reply" button or "Quote" work to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...p-location.jpg

Some additional info regarding reducing images at post #4 and images for the scroll and upload button can be found at #5 of quilt block ID?

Or simply - Make sure pictures are smaller than 2MB
Click on red "Reply" button
Click on the paper clip icon
Click browse - choose picture/s. (only 5 allowed per post)
Once they show up as being loaded, Scroll over to the right side and click on "Upload"
After the pictures show up as being attached, you can close that window and go back to the screen to finish posting your post.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 06-12-2021, 08:35 PM
Power Poster

The top was probably left unfinished because it had issues. I can replace individual pieces by hand but it will be quite an undertaking. Unless it has sentimental value, I would consider folding it in an attractive way and use it for display only. Placed in a glassed shadow box frame with a few antique button cards and wooden spools would make a nice conversation piece.
Old 06-15-2021, 10:43 AM

A photo would be great. Some quilts however are more difficult that other quilts to restore. Some are even beyond being repaired. I hope to see this beauty and maybe help out.