Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QB Help Center (https://www.quiltingboard.com/qb-help-center-f27/)
-   -   Free Sample Ads? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/qb-help-center-f27/free-sample-ads-t184314.html)

quilter68 03-29-2012 06:06 AM

Free Sample Ads?

What's up with the free Tide, etc. ads?
I just spent more than 10 mins. answering and the health questioaire did not stop.
It just goes around in a circle.
Can I trust the ads on this site?
Kathleen

jaciqltznok 03-29-2012 06:16 AM

NO...they are just another way of PHISHING....

BMP 03-29-2012 06:20 AM

Dummy me did it too, now my inbox gets full of JUNK ....Why did the site allow them to advertise here ???

patricej 03-29-2012 10:17 AM

why do you automatically assume and accuse? :hunf:

ads are pushed through the spaces from a variety of providers. the advertising team will move immediately to block ads like that if they detect them or when they are reported. they don't like them any more than we do. those ads are like cockroaches.

if you see a suspicious ad, send a report with as many details as possible to [email protected]

BMP 03-29-2012 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ (Post 5099813)
why do you automatically assume and accuse? :hunf:

ads are pushed through the spaces from a variety of providers. the advertising team will move immediately to block ads like that if they detect them or when they are reported. they don't like them any more than we do. those ads are like cockroaches.

if you see a suspicious ad, send a report with as many details as possible to [email protected]

"why do you automatically assume and accuse" certainly wasnt accusing, I just thought that advertisements were pre-screened before being allowed..... Sorry

AZ Jane 03-31-2012 03:35 AM

What's really strange is on my computer I see a company I was at yesterday. Now on quilting board, at the top of screen is an add about how much they miss me? Phishing??

rainagade 03-31-2012 09:08 AM

geezzzz you guys. This was a legitimate question!
Snarly people hanging around.

Quilter68, i will go to coupon sites but use a yahoo email address for these things. I never check this email so I do not care if it is full of spam or not. I learned the hard way too.

patricej 04-01-2012 02:57 AM

we can all thank Google for the ease with which Phishers can find us. the only way to reduce or eliminate that is to:

1. install an ad blocker
2. install anti-malware
3. use only in-private browsing

any one or combination of those things will make a big difference. the anti-malware is a "must" for anybody who surfs the internet or has an email account.

alisonrose 04-05-2012 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by AZ Jane (Post 5104205)
What's really strange is on my computer I see a company I was at yesterday. Now on quilting board, at the top of screen is an add about how much they miss me? Phishing??

AZJane, that sounds like a retargeting ad. The site that you visited before is running an ad throughout the web that only shows to their previous visitors. It's a legitimate type of ad - not a scam like phishing (stealing your passwords and info). To get rid of it, you should clear your "cookies".