Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QB Help Center (https://www.quiltingboard.com/qb-help-center-f27/)
-   -   Page out of no where! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/qb-help-center-f27/page-out-no-where-t309481.html)

Evy 01-29-2020 03:36 AM

Page out of no where!

I know this is not a forum issue, it's an "operator error" type issue. Every once in a while when I intend to hit the left arrow at the top of the page (back arrow) a very colorful page with ideas and links appears. The page disappears as quickly as it appears unless I click one of the pictures on it. How did I get to this page and how can I bring it up when I want to?
I know this is probably a silly question/issue but I cannot figure out what I am doing to get to that page. Thanks.

QuiltnNan 01-29-2020 04:47 AM

Do you also get ads in the rest of your pages? Your arrow issue may also be ads. I don't get what you describe. I always add AdBlockPlus to my browsers. It is free and blocks all ads. I also like that it tells me how many ads are being blocked on the page LOL

patricej 01-29-2020 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Evy (Post 8355874)
I know this is probably a silly question/issue but I cannot figure out what I am doing to get to that page. Thanks.

i don't think it's a silly question.
i don't have a clue about the cause, but it was definitely a good idea to ask.:thumbup:
i will have to consult a techie. they don't always have the answers but we won't know if i don't ask.

Evy 01-29-2020 06:35 AM

Thanks. I finally got to the page for a minute. The header is "More from the quilting board" or something similar. One of the boxes on the page was titled resources, had a picture of a needle, another was something about design. Then it disappeared!

patricej 01-29-2020 07:02 AM

this is a truly wild guess.
it might have something to do with pages from the old version of the board in your browser's cache.

try clearing your browser cache and history.
take care to not delete your cookies.
that wouldn't be tragic but you would have to log in again the next time you come to the QB, and perhaps at other sites you use.

TheMerkleFamily 01-29-2020 07:44 AM

I've had this page "flash" up several times but can not get it to come up on command. It appears to be similar to the pop-up pages I've seen on websites when I'm attempting to leave their page and they offer a discount hoping you'll reconsider purchasing something from their site. In the case of the QB, it appears to be highlight type pictures from posts on the board. I'd be delighted if it were an intended feature :)

juliasb 01-29-2020 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Evy (Post 8355874)
I know this is not a forum issue, it's an "operator error" type issue. Every once in a while when I intend to hit the left arrow at the top of the page (back arrow) a very colorful page with ideas and links appears. The page disappears as quickly as it appears unless I click one of the pictures on it. How did I get to this page and how can I bring it up when I want to?

I have seen this to a couple of times usually when I am coming onto the board the first time of the day and one time later in the day. I have been X'ing out of it.

patricej 01-29-2020 10:36 AM

i have sent this to tech. they suggested it might be a pop-up ad of sorts.
just sent another email asking that they look at these two most recent posts.
i can't imagine they'd be doing pop-up ads for the QB.
they know we hate them and do their best to prevent any sneaking into the ad stream.
maybe somebody has figured out a sneaky hijack.

no matter what ... never click on whatever it is.
either "X out" of it or close the browser tab.

mindless 01-29-2020 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ (Post 8356001)
i have sent this to tech. they suggested it might be a pop-up ad of sorts.
just sent another email asking that they look at these two most recent posts.
i can't imagine they'd be doing pop-up ads for the QB.
they know we hate them and do their best to prevent any sneaking into the ad stream.
maybe somebody has figured out a sneaky hijack.

no matter what ... never click on whatever it is.
either "X out" of it or close the browser tab.

Thank you for the warning! Good to know.