Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QB Help Center (https://www.quiltingboard.com/qb-help-center-f27/)
-   -   Popups and more threats come on computers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/qb-help-center-f27/popups-more-threats-come-computers-t221806.html)

T. 05-19-2013 08:10 AM

Popups and more threats come on computers

I don't know if it happens to anyone else? Lately I have ads that pop up on the bottom of the screen and a speaking ad at a corner. If I close the speaking one with the X, then the screen turns black & I'd have to "refresh" in order to have my screen back.
In the last 30 days I have had 366 (medium) threats removed from my computer when I run the virus scan. It just started all of a sudden.
There is usually no threats in the first scan in the morning.
I experimented by not checking in the QB for a couple of days, the threats were reduced considerably. Something must have hitchhiked the Board. I now have to schedule my virus scan every 6 hours instead of 3 days/week.
I also try to delete temp files often. Eventually one day I am sure something is going to fry my computer :( Does anyone know what else I can do?
As I previewed this post, I see that these 3 words have become links "checking", "scheduled" and "temp files" to ads. I am sure that's how the popups come in. Please help!
Thank you,

crafty pat 05-19-2013 08:20 AM

I had the problem with the pop ups and my computer got a virus. I use good protection so it finally went away. I had a problem with the board that when I would start to get on my Micro Trend would tell me to get off that it was a dangerous page and would block my getting on until I tried a second or third time. I did notify the board about this problem but never heard back but the problem stopped soon after. It has been awhile now with no problems.

T. 05-19-2013 09:29 AM

Yes, I would also get messages like "the page you are trying to open require Java....". I know it isn't normal, because I have opened that page (the Board) hundreds of times. I wouldn't even respond to it. I just close the browser & start all over again.
I hope my problems would go away too. Thank you,

barri1 05-19-2013 03:35 PM

I ran into a problem last Tues, and it was a major problem. I was getting on the board at lunch time, and it went straight to a virus. It was a major problem as it wasn't my computer. One of the bosses had to go into safe mode, and get a different virus software to delete it. It took a while to get it off.. The computer has a virus software, but since there are so many viruses around, the software wasn't working.. This was the second time it has happened.. My home computer doesn't seem to have a problem with going on the board. I am using Norton 360..

Audreyek 05-20-2013 07:49 AM

My e-mail has be blocking the messages that come from the board with "VIPRE Anti-phishing removed a known bad URL from your email message. It was deleted or quarantined and replaced with this message. " It is usually there 3 times with the block. Is that happening to anyone?

Virta Walter 05-20-2013 08:51 AM

Same here but mine started about a month ago, every time I opened the e-mail from quilting board it said a milieus virus and I just ignored it (thinking Norton ) would take care of it. Well after about the 6th time it shut down my whole e-mail system and I had to run a check-up and just this week I tried again and it is still attached to my e-mail from quilting board. So know I have to type in the address, this virus is attached to my 123 grettings e-mail acct also so I quite accepting mail from them also.

levada 05-21-2013 05:04 AM

I use Sandboxie to browse the Internet. It is a free program. What it does is contain any malware that jumps on you when visiting a site. It is contained within the "sandbox"....lol and then every once in a while you delete anything in there. Nothing is 100% safe 100% of the time, but Sandboxie has saved me many times, and it works with any browser you like to use.

Hope this helps.

Levada

tessagin 05-21-2013 06:25 AM

I was having that trouble and called tech support. They can scan and "clean" it up for you. I would contact tech support from what ever program you're on.

roguequilter 05-21-2013 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by levada (Post 6076758)
I use Sandboxie to browse the Internet. It is a free program. What it does is contain any malware that jumps on you when visiting a site. It is contained within the "sandbox"....lol and then every once in a while you delete anything in there. Nothing is 100% safe 100% of the time, but Sandboxie has saved me many times, and it works with any browser you like to use.

Hope this helps.

Levada

sandboxie & other sandbox type security programs are very effective.

i just forwarded this topic and a few of your responses to my son. he was a software engineer at symantec - they write the norton software, and he is now a software engineer at adobe systems. he told me that i-pad, i-phone and a few other mobile devices have sandbox type security programmed in. he also said that the androids mobile units may not as they are a favorite target of badies that target us w spyware, virus' etc.

here is a link to search with all the pages it pulled up for discusions, down loads & more for sandboxie and similar antiviral sandbox software that is available.

http://www.zapmeta.com/?vid=l7153688...ie+alternative

i strongly suggest that your pc's ahould probably have a program like this. i don't have it on my pc, but i will. i don't visit the board w pc, just my ipad. but i have noticed that i am getting emails from every thread i read now, logged in or not. i used to only get emails to threads that i had logged in and subscribed to. i think it is correct of me to assume that the personal email entity that i use to recieve emails from websites, is now compromised. i think also, that the Quilt Board operators and tech support should have adressed this issue when those of you who contacted them reported it.

patricej 05-22-2013 09:10 AM

the board is virus free.
it has always been virus free.
the problems are rooted in the user end.

this has been addressed many times over.