Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QB Help Center (https://www.quiltingboard.com/qb-help-center-f27/)
-   -   Problem typing a response. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/qb-help-center-f27/problem-typing-response-t259959.html)

Emma S 01-19-2015 10:38 AM

Problem typing a response.

This is a problem I've been having for a long time, when I start typing in a response to a thread some of the letters don't register. The strangest part is I was just going to type in my problem so you could see it but every single letter is right where I typed it so can't actually show you. The omissions don' hppen any other plae. Now i's stating to d it. I read wher other pople are ving the same prbem.

NJ Quilter 01-19-2015 11:35 AM

It could be the browser that you are using. I have no issue using Mozilla Firefox but have had problems in the past with Internet Explorer. Some seem to play nicer together than others.

QuiltnNan 01-20-2015 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by Emma S (Post 7054495)
This is a problem I've been having for a long time, when I start typing in a response to a thread some of the letters don't register. The strangest part is I was just going to type in my problem so you could see it but every single letter is right where I typed it so can't actually show you. The omissions don' hppen any other plae. Now i's stating to d it. I read wher other pople are ving the same prbem.

when reporting problems here, please provide information like the type of device you are using, your browser, and other info to help the techs. there are so many different devices being used these days.

lawsonmugs 01-20-2015 08:59 AM

Emma, I have this same problem. If you click on the A/A above the text box (the first A/A) right above where you type to the left. it should stop skipping. But you need to do this every time you send a reply. See ya on the mystery train.

Redtop 01-20-2015 03:25 PM

I'm having the same problem. I clicked on the A/A and it doesn't help. Posting is such a pain, I usually don't. I don't have this problem on any other forum

Emma his is wat mine is doing. Sometims it's worse---yesterday it was fine.

GEMRM 01-20-2015 04:37 PM

I was having this same problem and read a thread that told me to go to a setting on my computer and set up something to do with compatibility with the QB website. Once I did this it has not happened. I think I found the thread under the help section. If I can find it again, I'll let you know.

tessagin 01-20-2015 04:40 PM

GEMRM is right. After I did what she did, I was good. Sometimes I have to reboot.

Emma S 01-21-2015 06:34 AM

Thanks everyone. Love QB but sometimes fighting through the problems with input is really frustrating. I tried the AA method and had no problems with posting this, I am also going to try to find the post about the computer adjustment. I am not sure what info the Techs need but I use Google search engine. If I can help with further info just ask.
This whole reply was typed with no problems at all. Thanks again everyone, yet again the evidence is in, this is a really great group to interact with!

Quincunx 02-07-2015 06:20 PM

The "computer adjustment" may have been to whitelist QB. To tell your browser program that it is OK to let QB run scripts because the QB reply box always uses a script even though other boards running similar board software do not. It is not an adjustment at the level of the computer hardware.

[Side trip #1. You can skip this.]
The type of computer and operating system is like saying what kind of machine your machine is. (Is it an Apple running OS X? Is it a longarm instead of a regular sized sewing machine?)

The type of browser program is like saying what brand of machine your machine is. (Do you use Firefox version 35? Is your regular sized sewing machine a Brother SE400?)

The type of browser add-on is like saying what kind of foot you have on your machine. (Are you running NoScript? Are you using the buttonhole foot?)
[End of side trip #1.]

[Side trip #2.]
My problem was I was unable to input a line break. When I hit Enter nothing happened. I have some run-on posts from before I figured out this problem. And another problem was stranger. I type with a modified keyboard. The physical keyboard has the wrong symbols on it so I use software controls (at the level of the operating system) to get the "virtual keyboard" I want. Sometimes the cats step on the keyboard and turn the virtual keyboard off. And when that happened the reply box would not always update to the current keyboard even when I reloaded the page.
[End side trip #2.]

I run the browser Firefox 35.0 with the add-on NoScript 2.6 which stops sites from auto-playing scripts written with Flash and other annoying things that make my computer use extra thinking time. I keep most sites "blacklisted", meaning no, I do not let them run their scripts. No I do not want your news video to auto play when I go to its page. No, I NEVER want to hear the music you have in the background of your sewing shop. I have to go to NoScript's control panel and tell it to "whitelist" or say Yes to a site. It will let me allow it temporarily (until I shut down Firefox or revoke all temporary permissions) or allow it permanently.

Once I said Yes to letting QB run scripts, the reply box problems went away.

So why am I bothering to post a totally different set of problems?

Because when NoScript is blocking a script that really WANTS to run, the script slows down EVERYTHING in the browser program. Including typing input.

Pressing the A/a button may be sending the script a signal to stop running and stop using up all the computer's thinking power.