Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is quilting with rulers easy? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-rulers-easy-t312173.html)

linmarlang 08-18-2020 06:56 AM

Is quilting with rulers easy?

I am new to FMQ and was wondering how easy is it to quilt with rulers on a Janome 4300 QDC? I don’t have a ruler foot or ruler yet but would like to fill some 2”x4” flying geese on a baby quilt with geometric designs and was thinking this is the best way to get straight lines. Your thoughts please?

Tartan 08-18-2020 07:04 AM

There is a learning curve but I love it on my Bernina. You do need the ruler foot and the extra thick rulers for ruler work. The gripper tape that goes on the back of the rulers is helpful and creative grid rulers come with a little bit of non slip edge on them. Angela Walters has a new small ruler called Sid that comes with a short straight edge and a curved side. Westalee also has many fun rulers and both Westalee and Angela have YouTube videos on ruler use.

linmarlang 08-18-2020 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 8411018)
There is a learning curve but I love it on my Bernina. You do need the ruler foot and the extra thick rulers for ruler work. The gripper tape that goes on the back of the rulers is helpful and creative grid rulers come with a little bit of non slip edge on them. Angela Walters has a new small ruler called Sid that comes with a short straight edge and a curved side. Westalee also has many fun rulers and both Westalee and Angela have YouTube videos on ruler use.

Yes I saw her videos and that is what is making me ask. She makes it look so easy!

juliasb 08-18-2020 08:06 AM

I have the rulers and ruler foot for my machine already but have not used them yet out of fear! I want to take some practice pieces and try them out that way. I am wondering if I can use them on my FW. Of course I can use it on my Juki or Janome. I am just a bit intimidated by the rulers. I wish I could be of more help. Like you I am almost ready to take the plunge.

NZquilter 08-18-2020 08:29 AM

I just started ruler quilting this summer. I use my vintage Pfaff 130, so a low shank machine. I really do enjoy it!

Three Dog Night 08-18-2020 09:10 AM

I've been using rulers for quilting for about 3 years now. I have completed both the Janet Collins and Angela Attwater quilts. I had my rulers and foot for a long time before I started using them as there is a learning curve. Sew Steady has wonderful videos and currently on Facebook they are having a lot of online instruction from their instructors. My LQS started giving classes on rulers and that was when I finally pulled out my Westalee starter set and dove in. When purchasing rulers just make sure you know if your machine is a low or high shank (if you order from Sew Steady they will make sure you get the right foot). A ruler for a high shank machine will not work on a low shank machine (too thick), I bought some Angela Walters rulers and they are 1/4" will work on a high shank machine but not a low shank. Also be careful if you order off Amazon as some what they sell is knockoffs that are cheaply made.

Watson 08-18-2020 09:35 AM

I really enjoy using rulers.
As Three Dog mentioned, if you go through a Sew Steady/Westalee dealer, you just have to give them your model number and they will give you the right ruler foot. Their intro set actually comes with my favourite ruler of all time which is straight on one edge and an arc on the other. I use it all the time. It has very useful markings on it and comes with rubbery things so it doesn't slip.

With rulers, you have to be able to visualise that everything is 1/4" over from where it seems, as the needle is centred in the middle of the foot, a 1/4" from the edge of the ruler. Once you understand the concept, it's easy.
Some things I had to pay attention to were to not look too far ahead, because then the foot would wander off the ruler and I'd get a squiggly line and to keep my hand not just on the ruler, but also on the fabric, so I could move it all as a unit. Also, don't be afraid to use your marking pens so that you know where you're going and don't feel you have to press hard against the ruler.

The lady from Westalee has some really good videos as do many people, but a beginners class is likely great, too. (Although I managed without one so it can be done.)

Have fun!

Watson

Onebyone 08-18-2020 10:05 AM

I use a regular ruler to quilt straight lines using my walking foot. I do have the ruler foot and several different shaped quilting rulers and the ones by Angela Walters are the easiest to line up.

Three Dog Night 08-18-2020 11:24 AM

After my original post I checked my email and found this in my inbox,https://www.hillsidequilting.com.au/blogs/news. Anita is a Sew Steady accredited instructor in Australia and she posted this article on her blog a couple of days ago, she gives some really good information if you are thinking about ruler quilting worth looking at.

NJ Quilter 08-19-2020 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Watson (Post 8411069)
I really enjoy using rulers.
As Three Dog mentioned, if you go through a Sew Steady/Westalee dealer, you just have to give them your model number and they will give you the right ruler foot. Their intro set actually comes with my favourite ruler of all time which is straight on one edge and an arc on the other. I use it all the time. It has very useful markings on it and comes with rubbery things so it doesn't slip.

With rulers, you have to be able to visualise that everything is 1/4" over from where it seems, as the needle is centred in the middle of the foot, a 1/4" from the edge of the ruler. Once you understand the concept, it's easy.
Some things I had to pay attention to were to not look too far ahead, because then the foot would wander off the ruler and I'd get a squiggly line and to keep my hand not just on the ruler, but also on the fabric, so I could move it all as a unit. Also, don't be afraid to use your marking pens so that you know where you're going and don't feel you have to press hard against the ruler.

The lady from Westalee has some really good videos as do many people, but a beginners class is likely great, too. (Although I managed without one so it can be done.)

Have fun!

Watson

I've been intrigued by ruler quilting for a while now myself. My LQS just last week offered a Zoom ruler quilting class. It was exactly what I was looking for to see if this was something I thought I could manage. As Watson mentions, and the instructor emphasized repeatedly, there is the offset of sizing of your quilting design due to the needle being 1/4" away (either inside or outside) of the ruler edge. Another thing this particular instructor emphasized was to mark a grid on your quilt so you could get your design set properly on the quilt and you can line up the various markings on the ruler to the grid you have on your quilt.

I can see where I would like doing this type of quilting. As I mentioned to a friend of mine - will it help me decide on a quilting design - no. Will it help me quilt the designs I like (intricate and symmetrical) by machine easier - absolutely! I plan on taking the plunge in the near future as I still need to purchase all of the supplies.