Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > QB Help Center
Stuck Bobbin >

Stuck Bobbin

Stuck Bobbin

Old 06-11-2017, 10:31 PM

Unhappy Stuck Bobbin

I have a Singer Quantum 9960 that takes class 15 bobbins. I put a bobbin on the rewinding post and wound it. Now, I can't get it off! I realized too late that the bobbin I used was a 15J bobbin. I can't move the bobbin up or down. A little metal piece showed up in the middle of the post that looks like a hook. I have no clue how to remove the bobbin. Someone please help!!
Old 06-12-2017, 04:10 AM
Power Poster

It might have to go to the repairman. If you want to try it yourself, I would remove all the thread off it first. If it won't turn to remove the thread, cut it off with an exacto knife. Once the thread is all off you can better see what you are doing. I would then destroy the bobbin. If you have a Dremel set with the small attachments, I would use a cutting tool to cut into the bobbin and stop just before it gets to the winder. You can then pull off the bobbin in pieces. Good Luck!
Old 06-12-2017, 01:26 PM

I think Tartan gave you spot-on advice. It's what I would try to do. That little metal hook is probably what is supposed to fit into a slot cut into the sides of the bobbin so the spindle can turn it. On my machines (none are Singers) they are on the outside of the spindle. I hope that hook didn't get damaged. If so, it may need to go to the hospital anyways.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by mtdghse View Post
I have a Singer Quantum 9960 that takes class 15 bobbins. I put a bobbin on the rewinding post and wound it. Now, I can't get it off! I realized too late that the bobbin I used was a 15J bobbin. I can't move the bobbin up or down. A little metal piece showed up in the middle of the post that looks like a hook. I have no clue how to remove the bobbin. Someone please help!!
It's that little metal piece that is the problem. It pops out when the bobbin is placed on the post and is holding the bobbin in place. Depress the metal piece as you lift the bobbin, and I'll bet it will come off.