Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 39 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Fabric Moratorium

Blog Entries

2018 Fabric Moratorium

Welcome to the 2018 Fabric Moratorium.
    We have general guidelines, but please just do whatever makes sense for you. Although we call it the "Fabric Moratorium" the main idea is to not add to our stash and hopefully reduce it!
    Here are some general guidelines:
    * No fabric purchases "just for your stash" from Jan 1 until U.S. Black Friday (11/23/18).
    * When you start a new project, shop your stash first. If you don't have anything that will work, then feel free to make a purchase. Hopefully at least some of the fabric for every new project will come from your existing stash.
    As the year progresses, post your updates here. We can support and encourage each other, post tips on how you use your stash, and any planned new projects where you shopped your stash!
    Let us know about falling off the wagon, everyone enjoys a great excuse to purchase fabric.
    Pictures are always wonderful!
    As stated these are just guidelines, there are No Moratorium Police! Please do whatever makes sense for you and your stash. Just start using all that gorgeous fabric in your stash, after all, that's what you bought it for!
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Off with a bang, no purchases so far this year. Okay, that's pushing it, but did well last year so going to aim for the same goal this year if not better. Also, secondary goal is to finish all the UFO's I have in my crafts I started cleaning out the sewing room which hold all craft supplies, yarns, aida cloth, floss, etc and am putting all UFO's in a box and that is what I am working on this year. Scary, but I can do this. Good luck to everyone, Happy New Year as well.

Blog Entries
    Happy New Year may all our purchases be sewn up!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Happy New Year's Day everyone.

I'm in again. This is doable for me. My goal this year is to keep a yardage tab of using stash/scraps verses buying yardage. I know I need to buy backing for this years BHMQ. I have a package of fabric I ordered last week and expect it any day now. Most of it is for a swap and starting a 1-2 years new project. "365 day challenge, project. All of which should not count for this year. Later today I plan to go through my stash and pull out fabric for the Merry Mayhem NYD mystery quilt. It should be starting anytime now. If I do it today, it will be 6 yards plus a border fabric. Then I'm on my way to saving money. Like AnngleAnne, I have many UFO's to complete as well. So off I go to work on my projects today.

Thank you for continuing this challenge. My goals are the same as last year - not to buy fabric to add to stash (except maybe birthday exemption), and to use at least 80% of stash fabrics for any quilt. I'd like to say "100%" but there is always that one fabric that I need and don't have the right colour in my stash.

Happy New Year, everyone.

Blog Entries
    Happy New Year!! It's only 3 above right now in Northern Indiana. My hands about froze while feeding the birds.

I have no fabric on order.......does that count?

Blog Entries
    I'm joining again this year.
    I did good last year and hope to continue shopping the stash.
    Veronica

Oh, I so need to join this. I was really bad last year with a LQS going out of fabric business I bought by the bolt along with yardage. I really want to use some of my stash, but it always seems I get custom orders and I don't have fabric needed. I am thinking real hard about this.

Blog Entries
    Happy new year everyone. My first dilemma is what should I do with the LQS gift cards I got for Christmas? I guess I'll have to save them for when nothing in my stash will work!
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    I am continuing the moratorium another year. Today I participated in my first mystery quilt project- pulled totally from my shelves. 6 yards of fabric put to use. Yea! Off to a good start.
    Going to try to get some ufos done & not create more too.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I’m in again!

I know I will be buying some fabric to finish the BOM I have been doing through my LQS. I have put enough time and energy in it, while learning lots, to finish it with the coordinating LQS fabrics.

Like Happylab, I want to keep track of how much yardage goes out and comes in. I won’t measure the donated fabric that comes in-only purchased fabric.

Also like PaperPrincess, I do have a fabric store gift card.

Happy New Year!

Connie

Of course I'm in again!!
    Last year was my first time on the Fabric Moratorium, and I think it Really helped!!
    This year, there are several things helping to drive me even more seriously with my "no fabric purchases" goals. I must admit, I "fell off the wagon" yesterday evening, but it was for a consignment quilt, and eventually I will get reimbursed for the purchase, so it doesn't count.

It's a balmy 15 degrees here (LOL). I'm so happy that I have Lots of quilts to put on my bed!! I'm planning to toss one in the backseat of my car, in case of emergency on my way to work tomorrow. From what the Weather Channel is saying, everyone (in the US, anyway) is in for some major chill time this coming week.

Happy New Year, everyone!! May your stash and your UFO piles be greatly reduced this year!!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-06-2018 at 04:23 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
    Leta in Upstate SC

Even though I have only been quilting since spring 2017, I am going to join. I really want to keep control of my stash. As a weaver, I let my yarn stash really get out of hand and I am terrified that it will happen with fabric as well.

A happy, healthy, and productive New Years wish ro all!
    Theresa -
    a weaver turned quilter
    Singer Lover: 1932 15-88, 1933 99k25 HC, 1950 221-1, 1950 201-2, 1952 301, 1955 99k28, 1959 401a
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...88-albums.html

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    Happy new year everyone. My first dilemma is what should I do with the LQS gift cards I got for Christmas? I guess I'll have to save them for when nothing in my stash will work!
    Those could also be used if you wanted to get a special new ruler or other useful sewing tool. Perhaps a pattern book you've been really wanting.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Quote Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
    Those could also be used if you wanted to get a special new ruler or other useful sewing tool. Perhaps a pattern book you've been really wanting.
    That's exactly what I did with my LQS gift card - I bought one of Deb Tucker's rulers (that I was unable to find locally - this was the LQS near my DD in Raleigh). I had 87 cents left over! LOL! And surprisingly, I wasn't really even tempted by the fabric!
    Leta in Upstate SC

There is no way I could do this! But kudos to all of you courageous souls!
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

Blog Entries
    Oh NZ, you'd be surprised how easy it is once you set your mind to it! FYI, I work in a LQS and only bought one yard of fabric to finish a project during this last week's Year end clearance!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

I'm in again this year. A LQS is going out of business for a couple of months. Last week I finally bought some fabric and used a "frequent shopper" card. But that was last year!

Now in the new year.... I'm finishing a UFO from last year and had to shop my stash to find enough fabric for the borders. It's not a special quilt, so the borders will be pieced to use up some small pieces. It's 36" wide now so only want 4" more to be less than the width of fabric-no piecing the back.

Good luck to everyone with their moratorium!

I wasn't signed up for last year's thread, but I did do pretty good on my self-imposed "fabric diet". Other than a roll of W&N and 2-1/2 yards of a solid I really needed, I only fell off the wagon once and bought about 30 FQs that were only 50 cents each. It wasn't too hard, considering I only finished 4 quilts with pieced backings, thanks to my hand not working as well as I would like.

I'm hoping to be a little more productive this coming year. With all of my UFO's and scraps, I'm really don't have any excuse to buy more fabric, with the exception of white/off-white TOTs, which I am seriously low on. Fingers crossed!

I want to participate this year. I need to scale down. I am starting off with a well organized stash. I have weeded out some things that I am sure I won't use. There are lots of places to give away. I have looked over past plans that didn't materialize even after I had purchased the fabrics. I am also making some 'kits' for projects from the stash. I hope that will encourage me to do them. I have some gift certificates that I will use for neutrals that I know I will need to complete a project. I am excited to do this.

Count me in. I'm getting older and have had a couple of health scares so I have to do this.

Nice to know that when every brick and mortar shop closes...no one will notice. ��

sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
    Nice to know that when every brick and mortar shop closes...no one will notice. ��

sandy
    ??? I don’t understand your comment.
    i would very much miss my LQS if it closed, and when we travel my hubby & I both enjoy visiting shops we’ve never been to before. Some of them are down right magical.
    Last edited by ckcowl; 01-02-2018 at 04:22 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thinking about your comment...are you referring to our moratorium? Just because we are using our stash doesn’t mean we still won’t support our LQS— the moratorium is to not buy just to stuff our shelves ( add to our stash) we still purchase what we need, we just don’t buy for the sake of buying.

Iím in. My stash is actually noticeably smaller than it was 2 years ago even though there have been several drive by fabric drop offs that needed to be added to my stash in the last couple of years. Now when I visit my LQS I go through their remnant bins with a list in my hand that shows what kinds of fabrics I am running low on and that are ďstaplesĒ that can be used in a variety of projects- these are usually neutrals and lights since my stash still has lots of darks and medium value brights. I like scrappy, so By shopping the remnant bins, I can walk out of my LQS with 10 or more different fabrics and still have added as little as 1 and 1/4 yds to my stash. I still donít fabric shop only to get fabrics for a specific project since my creative process doesnít work that way, but I do shop with knowledge of what is currently in my stash and what things I use a lot of that need to be replenished.

Of course, I do fall off the wagon at times...LOL

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158.1914/ 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Page 1 of 39 1 2 11 ... LastLast