Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Aaqi challenge for qb members (first annual?) >

Aaqi challenge for qb members (first annual?)

Aaqi challenge for qb members (first annual?)

Old 04-14-2012, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by almond View Post
Question for you girls!!! If I did an embroidery design that I purchased from Dakota Collectibles and made a mini with one of their designs, do I need to ask for permission to use it?
I would say so as the purchased patterns are for personal use only and not for sale or auction according to copyright laws. Better to be safe than sorry. lol.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:35 PM

Candi, that is too cute! Good work! I have sometimes discovered that a mini is too big for AAQI at the last minute also. Since I hate to unsew, I do not take off the binding and cut them down. I just make another! (Thanks for the reg. no.)

N2: I would LOVE for one of mine to be selected for a monthly auction. But I cannot figure out how they choose them. What do you think they're looking for?
Old 04-14-2012, 05:05 PM

Hi Leslie! What a good question! I've wondered too how AAQI selects their 27 for the auctions, but I'm sure the first criteria met must be appeal! If it's not appealing, it won't cut it. They may even have 5 or 6 categories that must be met first to be selected such as (1) overall design and appeal (2) precision (3) color (4) construction and (5) originality. That's just a guess, but in watching this judge at the IQF @ Houston go through the process of selecting the 25 finalists, I was shocked how it was done! The judge is in a room at a distance with 3 ladies who remove the quilts from the stack on the table one at a time as the judge gives her yay or nay. She takes a glance and in 3 seconds or less gives a yay or nay!! The recipients then get a letter from them saying their quilt has been chosen for the competition. The real examination of the quilt stitches, etc. is done on their arrival and not beforehand! They explained there are just too many quilts to spend any more time than a few seconds on each one! So in answer to your question, I would say it's APPEAL!! The judge also replied when asked how she determines her yays and nays, she said 'if the quilt makes me want to look at it again, it gets a yay!' Well, I couldn't believe the 2 contestants who didn't make it in the competition (among the many others)! Their work was outstanding and so precisely done, but when I thought about it, I could see how I wouldn't have wanted their art work hanging on my wall either. Caryl Bryer Fallert won the competition and rightly so! Her precision is incredible! She glues everything in place so it doesn't move when working on a juried piece! She works from her light box entirely for the precision. Then again, you wouldn't believe her collection of fabrics, her studio, etc., etc. So there you have it! Overall appeal wins out above all others!
Old 04-15-2012, 05:58 PM

I have some of my registration numbers now. They're going in the mail in the morning, and should hopefully be listed on the AAQI website soon. I've got a few others made, but haven't registered them yet.

#10,087 - Northern Lights

[ATTACH=CONFIG]328117[/ATTACH]

#10,088 - Garden Paths

[ATTACH=CONFIG]328118[/ATTACH]

#10,089 - Candy Dots

[ATTACH=CONFIG]328119[/ATTACH]

#10,090 - Mammaw's Fans

[ATTACH=CONFIG]328120[/ATTACH]

#10,091 - Out of Africa

[ATTACH=CONFIG]328121[/ATTACH]

#10,092 - Stained Glass Window

[ATTACH=CONFIG]328122[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails aaqi-sunset.jpg   aaqi-gardenpaths.jpg   aaqi-candydots.jpg   aaqi-mammawsfans.jpg   aaqi-outofafrica.jpg  

aaqi-stainedglasswindow.jpg  
Old 04-16-2012, 06:55 AM
Power Poster

Pretty minis!!
Old 04-16-2012, 07:29 AM

I was just wondering, would you like us to post pictures each time we complete a quilt or do you want us to wait until we are ready to send a group in?
Old 04-16-2012, 08:58 AM

Great use of fabric on your Northern Lights mini, Moonrise. All of your minis are beauties.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:31 AM

Good question, almond! I was wondering the same thing.

Moonrise, very nice work!!! Love all your minis and especially your rounded corners! I haven't tried that yet. They are just adorable!!!
Old 04-16-2012, 01:26 PM

Please post pics whenever you feel like it! They'll be inspiration to everyone else. I've noticed that AAQI is a little slow in getting pics up on their website right now. My quilt from Feb. is pictured, but not the ones from March yet, or April.

Moonrise, your quilts are wonderful! I have done rounded corners on a couple of projects, but not many. Do you use bias binding for that, or straight? I don't cut bias binding unless I have to!

Originally Posted by almond View Post
I was just wondering, would you like us to post pictures each time we complete a quilt or do you want us to wait until we are ready to send a group in?
Old 04-16-2012, 01:41 PM

Thanks!

On the ones with the rounded corners (like the heart in my Photobucket album), I used storebought bias binding. On the Stained Glass Window one with the scalloped edges, I cut my own bias binding. There's a tutorial in the Tutorials section on how to do the scallops.

Otherwise I just use regular (non-bias) 2-1/2" strips for the binding.