Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt >

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Old 12-22-2015, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by AlvaStitcher View Post
AnngelAnne, it wasn't guts. it was , I have no red thread to match and don't want to have to run out to a store to find red". But it worked.
Lol, too funny, yes and it worked well.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:11 AM

I think the bowties look a little bit like spools, and spools can be placed in a design that makes a secondary design of circles with what would be the blacks of clue 4. Maybe something like that can be done with these blocks? Although I have to admit, I'm really bad with thinking up possible block designs from parts, so I might be totally off.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by AnngelAnne View Post
So the question is this, this mystery quilt, are you trying to say it is driving you to drink, or that it is driving you nuts?? Either way, I love how everyone's is turning out. Great job all!!
HaHa, I think I was already a little nuts, but this quilt may just push me over the edge!
Hope everyone else is coming along too! I think I read the next clue will be on Saturday instead of Christmas Day? So there is an extra day this week.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:35 PM

I am finished! Yay! All 30 units. I looked at the last two that needed done and just about lost my ambition to do them. Now I am wondering as well when the next clue will be. I went to the Quiltville site and didn't see where it was, so still not sure. After clue 4 I cant believe I am doing this. I am sure that I would never attempt it if it wasn't a mystery quilt. I am wondering how all these pieces are going to go together.
Jeanne, you crack me up. Yes, count me in, I am right there along with you too.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:54 PM

Yes, somewhere along the way (I think within one of the clues) Bonnie said the next clue will be on Saturday (skipping Christmas day).

I've been alternating cleaning and working on this clue (my reward for cleaning!!). As I said earlier, I'm starching the heck out of the bias seams. Now I'm worried about all that starch when it comes time to quilt this. I usually don't use starch. If I need anything I use Best Press. Anyone have experience with quilting a top with a lot of starch in it?
Old 12-22-2015, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Yes, my black will be the same throughout the entire quilt. I had been thinking of using dark greens for the black, and then changed my mind at the last moment and didn't want to try and shop for blacks so close to the clues starting (I don't have much black in my stash). Fortunately I had 3 yards of this one on hand. I like it, too, but am also loving seeing everyone's wide variety of blacks. They are adding a lot of pizzazz to clue #4!

edit

What a gorgeous red you have there!
Haha...thanks! I've had it for almost 10 years and was thinking, "Whew, I finally get to use this red."
Old 12-22-2015, 04:56 PM

Do you feel like you have done a lot of cutting on this project?? Well, you have! Interesting tidbit: through Clue #4 this quilt has 2,144 pieces!!!! doesn't that just knock your socks off!
Old 12-22-2015, 05:22 PM
Power Poster

After all this work, I just hope I am going to like what it ends up being.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:47 PM

I'm finally getting to clue #4 after finishing up other projects and having a couple of days under the weather. I cut and sewed my first/test set last night. It tuned out the correct size so I finished cutting the reds and neutrals. Then my back gave out so now I need to cut all those black triangles tonight. I have the strips cut and will be doing them 4 at a time with a new blade. Hope I can get that done and start sewing tonight.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
Do you feel like you have done a lot of cutting on this project?? Well, you have! Interesting tidbit: through Clue #4 this quilt has 2,144 pieces!!!! doesn't that just knock your socks off!
I wondered why I had to change my blade! I have five more units of four to finish up clue #4. May not be able to get to it until Thursday. Then I will be ready for Saturday. I have really enjoyed this MQ.