Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 31 40 41 42 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 1058

Thread: ART Quilt Challenges Monthly

Blog Entries
    I have a fetish for lamps and chairs. Weird, hunh! Just love them, the more unusual the better.
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

on a side track here there is a new quilt posted in pictures that I think totally qualifies as an 'art quilt' she has taken a picture of a lake and made a window view looking out the doors to the dock to the chairs at the end of the dock to the water its done incredibly well with superb perspective. its titled a lake quilt I believe just posted today. check it out marvelous work.

you guys are super creative. one day when I stop swapping I will have time to work on these things too until then I will just ogle your art work
    Linda
    Here today... why what a lucky bunch we are.

Unicolor quilt!?

Are you beavering away with your colors and theme for the month? Making up a cute gift or keeper for yourself? C'mon there's still time to express something...............................
    Suzie
    Author; I Don't Know Where I Want to Be -But it Isn't Here!

Blog Entries
    I had my first long arm lesson and free motioned on a muslin piece. I call it " promise beneath the snow". Now, as soon as I can figure out how to post it i will.

oh oh cant wait to see. and Nancia, where are you hiding? how is that baby of yours? growing leaps and bounds I am sure. Hey I need a pair of those adorable pink slippers, bunny things you make for an 18" doll and any patterns you would like to share that size for doll cloths. American girl doll flat feet.. can you help me?
    Linda
    Here today... why what a lucky bunch we are.

Blog Entries
    Brat, what exactly do you need? A lot is available on line , and lots free, but of course, I will share some with you! Give me an idea, other than the slippers, what you're looking for. I was given a new doll yesterday. Took a picture but couldn't remember how to post it. I know it's simple, it's an [email protected]!

I do have the perfect white & grayish fabric. Will play around after the holiday. Had a huge tree trimming party.
    Getting ready for a quiet January.
    Dotty in NYC

I hope everyone had an excellent set of holidays!!!!

Down here we are sweating and eating salads. When browsing for a snack the choices are fresh strawberries,blueberries, raspberries or melons. (Oh yeah and all that chocolate candy I made that I was going to share more fully but instead am eating)

Getting your projects done for the month now that the fuss is calming down? I am multi-piecing a big fat yellow/white moon as we have had some whoppers lately. It will go into another art quilt later I am sure but now it gets it's own spotlight.

SH
    Suzie

Blog Entries
    I've been trying to post a picture, and been interrupted several times, so I'm starting over. Not only is this my hidden spring piece ( signs of warmer weather under the snow), and if i can also the day of the dead piece for my parents. It is not done, still evolving! Wish me luck! Could be another Christmas miracle!Name:  image.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  1.90 MBThe beige piece is also the trial piece for my long arm lesson. I get little done, but i do put a lot of thought into them. Right now I'm more of an idea man, and not so much a producer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nancia; 12-26-2013 at 05:38 PM.

Blog Entries
    Attachment 453337This is the butterfly that is also hidden by the winter cold, and the left side does not match the right. Another design glitch not thought of!

Quote Originally Posted by nancia View Post
    Attachment 453337This is the butterfly that is also hidden by the winter cold, and the left side does not match the right. Another design glitch not thought of!
    Oh thoe pesky ideas and then their imperfect execution! Keep practicing and your hand will get steadier! New adventire for you this year.....
    Suzie

January 2014 ------------- The New Year!!!

Would love to see your WIPs! What are you guys up to?

Here is one I just presented to a commissioned client. (I am so glad to see the back side of this one.Worked on it since Sept.) Doesn't look very tidy in the photo but it did get blocked and hangs straight and flat. The client was bowled over. They are musicians and wanted it over the sofa in their new house in bright colors. Quilting is all sorts of musical symbology. So all was well there.

I have had some interesting experiences these last few weeks as I am sure you all have. Holidays, party making and interacting with lots of people tends to do that. For me it has meant being invited into several new circles of people. Consequently I have been invited to be a part of 3 international art shows this year. This has me madly considering and making new works of course. My creative juices are in overdrive right now as you can imagine.

For this reason I am going to have to relinquish being at the helm of this project. We certainly get a lot of lookers here and I think this is such a valuable place for people to come and discuss and be a part of the 'artsy' end of quilting.

Anybody want to step up and steer this boat? Perhaps several people? All that is needed is a topic and some input. I am going to be checking in and showing off work as I go along but the tyranny of a deadline and topics is something that won't figure into this year's work flow for me. The topics we've had the last while have made me stretch and explore new territory and techniques and I sure hope it continues!

The best to all of you in this new year and thanks especially to my good friends made on this board..............
    Suzie

Blog Entries
    Why is it always good news/ bad news? You've done a great job, with your encouragement, advice and example, Suzie! Thanks for starting this and keeping us going! I'm an idea person, more than a completion person. If there's someone who would like to work with me I'm willing. I can come up with themes, but might never actually finish anything , lol. Who would like to come play?

oh, my goodness! I was so upset by your news , Suzie , i forgot to mention how gorgeous your piece is, and how excited i am for your art show acceptance! You go girl! Love the quilting ! You be sure and post here often! We are behind you every step of the way, and don't want to miss a thing!
    Last edited by nancia; 01-02-2014 at 10:35 AM.

Your piece is gorgeous!!

Cool

, i forgot to mention how gorgeous your piece is, and how excited i am for your art show acceptance! You go girl! Love the quilting ! You be sure and post here often! We are behind you every step of the way, and don't want to miss a thing!
    Nancia, thanks so much for your kudos! ...............I blush. It is over 100 degrees here and working on a large Q sounds way to exhausting. I think I will lay here on the couch and 'design'.

I will be checking in and contributing where possible.
    Suzie

Very pretty! I like this one better than the first one.

I've just found this thread and it seems to have died. Is there an easy way for me to find each months challenge with reading 101 pages of posts?
    Cindy

'm with cindynub, Is there another post of this or starting over?
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

We could all post some suggestions and any one who is interested could vote. I'm really busy using up scraps and finish ing ufos, but would like to practice my art quilting skills.
    I'm thinking I should choose a size/format so that one decision is made and they will look good hanging together.
    How did everyone do theirs before?

Challenges for all

Quote Originally Posted by cindynvb View Post
    We could all post some suggestions and any one who is interested could vote. I'm really busy using up scraps and finish ing ufos, but would like to practice my art quilting skills.
    I'm thinking I should choose a size/format so that one decision is made and they will look good hanging together.
    How did everyone do theirs before?
    Mainly I posted a topic or idea ie; 'express the weather outside this month', or 'use a majority of colors in your scrap bag and depict some aspect of your home - a small or large object, the floorplan, the entryway...' etc. Usually works were any size but my pet theme is to try and have someone who looks at an art Q of mine feel something. So I would make my criteria as above. Absolutely not necessary of course and others in the group were more flexible with their experimentations. ie; Use purples and work must include circles and be 14 x 20 or larger. These are always a fun stretch to just 'do-it' without needed an overall theme to express.

So just post anything you have in mind and see if anyone else wants to play. I do suggest a deadline tho or topics drag on forever and never get done--so one month is just about enough tyranny usually for experiments. When you get into work you have heart and soul invested in then a longer time is usually needed.

So post whatever is on your mind. And hopefully others will do the same and a great deal can be learned.
    I started this thread so we could work out on new skills and ideas plus giving each other ideas of how to achieve various effects.

I stopped as I have an international art show to participate in at the end of this year and so needed more than a month for an experiment and coming up with topics for others and time for this thread were running low. But do go for it-------please I want to come back when the show is done.

Meantime here is my latest work........ Dragon's Tongue (this is a special real type of tornado that is a spontaneous fire)

Suzie

Blog Entries
    Suzie, love your stitching! Will this piece be included in the show? What conditions cause a dragon's tongue? I was always pulled to the power of a tornado. Never had one hit close to me, for which I am grateful! Saw lots of dirt devils.

Suzie, love your stitching! Will this piece be included in the show? What conditions cause a dragon's tongue?
    Gosh I blush...I see several points where i fell I should have pulled some stitching out and redone it. But Thank you I know we all see faults in our own work. This show is an invitational so I can send whatever I want to it. Since it is held late in the year we will see what all gets created and how much wall space I get. Dragon's Tongue was originally made for a challenge that I did not get into in Australia. 17x40 was a size challenge for me. So much vertical skinny space. bg

Anyway a tongue is created when there are the conditions for tornado action and electricity in the air. Some tornado dust devils and add some flammable particles and there is a spectacular eruption. Here are the original stills. (And since this art piece is up for public views I did get permission from the photographer to make a work based on his work)

http://blog.londonconnection.com/201...-contributors/

Now what are you up to creatively these days?
    Suzie

amh
    Suzie:

Your work is just marvelous. I hope you'll keep posting some photos, and good luck with your show.

Yes, things have slowed down somewhat on this thread, but things will pick up again. At least I hope they will. I haven't come up with any ideas as I haven't been able to do much sewing recently. I hope to soon and post some photos.

If anyone has an idea for projects I hope they will post. I'm just getting into art quilting, so don't feel as though I can make suggestions yet.

amh
    Aileen
    Saskatoon SK Canada

Blog Entries
    I found some lovely fabric that will be used for either sky or water ,havent made up my mind yet,,maybe both. lol.Love it when a plan comes together.
    Landscape quilts and needle turn applique favs.Antlers,Ok

Quote Originally Posted by amh View Post
    Suzie:
    If anyone has an idea for projects I hope they will post. I'm just getting into art quilting, so don't feel as though I can make suggestions yet.

amh
    Take an idea or feeling..longing for spring,maybe? Start piecing everything in those colors to express it... white blocks to soft colors? Gotta use your scrap bag for this little project. Or here is an example of a 4" tumbler block --free pattern everywhere. And my personal challenge was to go from white to black using only the stuff in my bag--but you could change that challenge criteria for yourself--only blues and greens horizontally for sky and water, etc. You can do a ton of these with all sorts of different criteria. They go together fast and look great, you can heat-n-bond flowers, fish whatever over your base for more dimensions....................

Just an idea.
    Suzie

Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 31 40 41 42 ... LastLast