Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek >

Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek

Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek

Old 12-13-2020, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by SuzSLO View Post
I’m not usually a fan of orange, but I love you pumpkin fabric. They all look great.
Thank you! A forum member gave me that pumpkin fabric...it was perfect for this mystery...
Old 12-13-2020, 02:05 PM

Everyone’s color choices look so pretty! I am finished with the first 3 clues-but I am only doing half the number listed. I found starch to be friend with clue #3.

Teen, those ginger people are adorable and the filling looks delicious!
Old 12-13-2020, 02:08 PM

Thank you, Jill..... homemade ginger frosting....it is delicious. Thank goodness I had enough to pipe the filling cuz I was eating it out of mixer bowl..lol..
Old 12-13-2020, 02:08 PM

Beautiful blocks, everyone!

Trimmed down my hourglasses from clue 2, and cut out all of my clue 3. I am having problems putting them together...the stitch plate on my machine doesn't have a small hole, and it is trying to eat all these triangles. I'm not sure I could get as consistent of a seam on my treadle, which is my only machine without a wide mouth stitch plate.
Old 12-13-2020, 02:20 PM

origamig, there might be a straight stitch plate available for or compatible with your machine; it makes all the difference in the world. You might try inquiring at sewingpartsonline, they have everything under the sun and are very helpful.

https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/?g...hoC5cIQAvD_BwE

Beautiful units, one and all!
Old 12-13-2020, 02:31 PM

origamigoldfish - If you're not already using leaders, there's a chance that using leaders could help prevent your machine from eating the triangle points. I like to use a scrap about 1.5" x .75" for a leader. Sew almost to the edge of the leader, and then (raise the presser foot and) put what you want sew right next to the leader. For step 1 of sewing the two triangles together to make a square, I would rotate the leader to match the 45 degree left edge of the fabric.
Old 12-13-2020, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by origamigoldfish View Post
Beautiful blocks, everyone!

Trimmed down my hourglasses from clue 2, and cut out all of my clue 3. I am having problems putting them together...the stitch plate on my machine doesn't have a small hole, and it is trying to eat all these triangles. I'm not sure I could get as consistent of a seam on my treadle, which is my only machine without a wide mouth stitch plate.
I grieves me to say this....but I have concluded after buying straight stitch plates and straight stitch feet, and a walking foot and then trying to address needle positions.....I bought a 5.5 mm feed dog machine without all the bells and whistles to do my piecing on....it is just so much easier than trying to deal with those wide feed dogs...I sure wish they would make more high end machines with the narrow feed dogs...for us quilters....and you know what...those embroidery machines do not need the wide feet....the only time those wide problematic feet are needed is if and when you do the decorative stitches....I am using my ancient Viking D1 on this mystery with it's narrow feed dogs and that machine also did beautiful embroidery until I wore out the embroidery unit...
Old 12-13-2020, 06:28 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions! I am already using a leader block, but I will try scooting it closer to my triangles to see if that helps. Unfortunately, there is no single stitch plate available for my current machine. I do have a vintage kenmore machine with one, but it needs a trip to the repair shop after the end of the year, it will only sew two or three stitches before the tension slips and it starts breaking thread.

I did get a few sets done tonight, will try a few more tomorrow. Hopefully I can get through all of them before friday!
Old 12-13-2020, 06:39 PM

origamigoldfish - For a long time I have been wondering if it is possible to make a temporary straight stitch plate out of an index card (or similar stiff paper, like card stock). You could cut a small hole for the needle and the appropriate holes for the feed dogs and then securely tape it in place, maybe using painters tape. If you're game to try the experiment, it might help.
Old 12-13-2020, 06:53 PM

For the record, the strip tube method works well when doing the red/neutral pieces from yardage. I cut the strip per Bonnie's instructions, then sew a 1/4 seam down each side, joining the red/neutral into a tube. Then I cut using Bonnie's ruler, as I would cut the raw pieces. The few stitches at the top are easy to pop out.
Attached Thumbnails 20201213_215243.jpg