Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek >

Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek

Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek

Old 12-23-2020, 11:25 AM

Oh SuzSlo I think your quilt will be very striking!! I love your colors and the contrast is very good. I have not even shown any of my pieces yet as I'm disappointed in the lack of contrast and "pop" but just pray that my friend who chose the colors is pleased with it in the end. I didn't realize how hard it would be to keep motivated on something so out of my comfort zone color wise, but it is a good experience for me just the same. I have enjoyed seeing all the samples and comments. Praying you all have a Blessed Christmas.
Old 12-23-2020, 11:42 AM

Gorgeous, Suz!! I think you did great on contrast.
Old 12-23-2020, 01:20 PM

SuzSLO, I just love your blues and greens. Red and gray isn't that good a contrast, either, unless you use light grays. When you think about the fact that Bonnie's red and gray paint chips were the two darkest, I have to wonder just how important the contrast there will be.

I sewed my clue 2 halves together, sewed the right orange triangle on my red HSTs, and finished pressing and cutting my new neutrals for clue 4. Now back to it! I hope to be able to post photos before we get our next clue.
Old 12-23-2020, 02:27 PM

Looking good, everyone!
I have my clue 4s completed! Yay. I saved all of my grey scraps, hoping to string piece when the time comes. What do you use as a foundation?
And, personally, I think scarlet and grey look wonderful together! Heh heh heh.....Go Bucks!
Old 12-23-2020, 06:09 PM

Lol@jillmc..
Old 12-24-2020, 06:53 AM

My clue 4 is complete except for 4 units that need to be trimmed. I was working away this morning, letting DH sleep late since I had the day off (normally he gets up before I go to work, around 6 am). when a big truck drove by. It was one of those "oh no!" moments when I remembered today is garbage day! At least it was a sanding truck and not the garbage truck. Ran downstairs and DH was just getting out of bed (he heard the truck too) so I told him he still had time.

Got the garbage out (does not take long) and now it's breakfast time. So the last of the trimming will get done later.

I also just realized I have to take the 5 yards of backing I've got mounted on the LA off. It's for a king size quilt for my bed, and I did a brain freeze when I went to mount it and didn't think about it not being wide enough. I'd bought this fabric 6-7 years ago when I started this quilt, so I'd forgotten all about needing to piece it. As I was mounting it, it did cross my mind why it was so long . . . The floppy is 118" square, and I had bought a king size batting for it that is 120x122, so that will be tight. Not worried about side to side, and if I run out at the bottom, I've got a queen size roll of the same stuff to piece in if needed.

What's funny about this quilt, I got the idea and really wanted to make it for myself, but I knew it wasn't going to look real good in my bedroom. So I had made another quilt that looked much better but kept working on this one (it's a crazy quilt with 100 blocks, made with neutrals and a lot of lace, ribbon and trimming embellishment, along with a lot of fancy machine stitching). I've been working on it for years - though it spent most of it's time in a tote.

Then a year ago we decided to move, and my old quilt doesn't work at all in the new bedroom, but this new one sure will. So that got me more motivated to get it finished.
Old 12-24-2020, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Carol in WI View Post
Oh SuzSlo I think your quilt will be very striking!! I love your colors and the contrast is very good. I have not even shown any of my pieces yet as I'm disappointed in the lack of contrast and "pop" but just pray that my friend who chose the colors is pleased with it in the end. I didn't realize how hard it would be to keep motivated on something so out of my comfort zone color wise, but it is a good experience for me just the same. I have enjoyed seeing all the samples and comments. Praying you all have a Blessed Christmas.
Carol: Thank you. I’m hoping that my higher contrast units will help the eye fill in the blank for those with lower contrast.

I think your fabric is fabulous, although I can understand that it may not be in your comfort zone. I think it will lead to a quilt with a softness and low volume. Please post photos.
Old 12-24-2020, 10:19 AM

Macybaby...I’m working on my King bed quilt too. Since moving and changing decor and colors, I tried to find a pattern for our bed and just couldn’t find anything I liked. I made a tree farm quilt thinking this would be it..
then decided against it but finished it anyway. Then, I finally decided on a simple Buffalo check in grays.....made some pillows first to see and it ended being the perfect choice. Glad this first quilt will be perfect in your new home. It sounds beautiful and intricate..can’t wait to see it. I hope you’ll share.. and, hope you’ll share your mystery units.

Old 12-24-2020, 01:15 PM

Here are some pictures - had to recharge the batteries for my camera. Two pictures of clues 1-4, and a picture of the quilt on the LA.

I swapped brown for the grey, simply because I have a lot of brown in my stash but very little grey.

Attached Thumbnails imgp5230.jpg   imgp5233.jpg   imgp5226.jpg  
Old 12-24-2020, 01:38 PM

Beautiful units and a stunning quilt, Macybaby. Just gorgeous! Thank you for sharing a pic of quilt. Wowza..