Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek >

Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek

Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek

Old 01-08-2021, 09:01 AM

This is how I had been putting my pieces up on the wall, but I always knew a Bonnie quilt could not be so simple as a single block with sashing. I got quite fond of this design as I was working, so maybe will stick with it. I love the interplay of the grays in the block centers and the way it looks like a sun.

Attached Thumbnails img_5970_fotor.jpg  
Old 01-08-2021, 09:17 AM

I'm looking forward to getting off work so I can see how my blocks look when assembled.

I have a whole lot of green strips, so I may find a way to use them in the border instead of cutting a bunch more of brown (my gray).
Old 01-08-2021, 09:26 AM

For those that used yardage and didn't string the clue 6 units, are you just using the same gray (or whatever color you used for Bonnie's gray) for the border? Or something different? I don't have a stash for strips, but could go buy a different piece of yardage for the border...
Old 01-08-2021, 01:27 PM

Joe’smom...
that was a really good guess!! Those look good, too!

I’m off and running.... I really like it....I think I made enough for a small version, too. We’ll se how this goes together with sashing etc.

good thing I took picture so I can see my boo boo....lol
Attached Thumbnails 32df00dc-a13a-4f41-9589-cc5d883724fe.jpeg  

Last edited by Teen; 01-08-2021 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-08-2021, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by leheath8 View Post
For those that used yardage and didn't string the clue 6 units, are you just using the same gray (or whatever color you used for Bonnie's gray) for the border? Or something different? I don't have a stash for strips, but could go buy a different piece of yardage for the border...
leheath, I would wait until you have your quilt center together, and then you might have a sense of what you would like as a border.

Such pretty colors, Teen!

Last edited by joe'smom; 01-08-2021 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-08-2021, 01:38 PM

I used yardage and like the lozenge shape that comes from not doing strings. But I am going to change up the border. I would like to use my focus fabric as a wide border. I think it will pull my colors together. But that decision has to wait till tomorrow. Enough sewing for today.
Old 01-08-2021, 03:03 PM

@Teen your block is beautiful - such nice, complimentary colors and fabrics! I hope mine aren't too bright. Will lay out some tonight and see how it looks. What size will you be making your smaller quilt? I don't quite have enough for a 4x4 smaller quilt - could do 3x4 or could make a few more units from each clue...
Old 01-08-2021, 04:25 PM

@Teen your block is beautiful - such nice, complimentary colors and fabrics! I hope mine aren't too bright. Will lay out some tonight and see how it looks. What size will you be making your smaller quilt? I don't quite have enough for a 4x4 smaller quilt - could do 3x4 or could make a few more units from each clue...
I was wondering the same thing for the smaller quilt. I’m trying to decide between 3x 4 straight set (with a quarter block “completer” borders for a finished quilt size of about 64” x 79”) and a 3 x 3 on point set (13 blocks with a finished quilt size of about 61” x 61”). So still working as if I need 13 blocks. When I get those done, I’ll see where I should go with it.
Old 01-08-2021, 04:37 PM

Thank you, Leheath8....I made enough for 12 blocks so that is likely what I’ll be doing. When we did the hourglass blocks, I kinda figured these would be for star blocks so I made enough for 12. Lucky guess.. I’ll see what it looks like and go from there..
Old 01-08-2021, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
This is how I had been putting my pieces up on the wall, but I always knew a Bonnie quilt could not be so simple as a single block with sashing. I got quite fond of this design as I was working, so maybe will stick with it. I love the interplay of the grays in the block centers and the way it looks like a sun.
I really like your layout, joe'smom! It seems very uplifting. It does look like a sun.

Leslie