Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek >

Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek

Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek

Old 01-09-2021, 05:08 AM

Is anyone else confused about the sashing information? Bonnie says to join the 2x3 1/2 red pieces with the small flying guess units and that they will measure 6 1/2 inches. I can see from the pictures that they border the 3 1/2 inch 9 patches and then will measure 6 1/2 inches unfinished, but no where are the 9 patches mentioned. I have not started putting mine together yet, but want to be sure about that step. I love seeing all the blocks coming together - Joe's mom, your colors look great together.
Old 01-09-2021, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Carol in WI View Post
Is anyone else confused about the sashing information? Bonnie says to join the 2x3 1/2 red pieces with the small flying guess units and that they will measure 6 1/2 inches. I can see from the pictures that they border the 3 1/2 inch 9 patches and then will measure 6 1/2 inches unfinished, but no where are the 9 patches mentioned. I have not started putting mine together yet, but want to be sure about that step. I love seeing all the blocks coming together - Joe's mom, your colors look great together.
The flying geese + red rectangles go in the “completer” border around all the blocks (but before the green skinny border).

More of the red rectangles attach to each of the grey string pieced units to form the sashing. The 9 patch blocks are the cornerstones. She mentions them somewhat later in the instructions:
“Laid out and ready to roll!
Lay out your main blocks with space in between to insert sashings and the nine-patch cornerstones from Part Five.”

Hope this helps.
Old 01-09-2021, 06:09 AM

Sorry I haven't been hanging around - apparently taking on 2 mystery quilts, over the holidays, while working full time and raising a 4- month old was a bit more of a challenge than I was expecting! My hand dyed version is further along, all I have left are 1/3 of the flying geese, 1/3 of the sashing blocks (made non-scrappy) and about 1/5 of the clue 4&5 units to trim. Those things gave me such a headache and really impeded my process. Needless to say, I will have very few sharp points, but we're going to call it a variation and move on.

As to my Bonnie colorway, Clue 3 is as far as I've gotten. 😞

Originally Posted by leheath8 View Post
For those that used yardage and didn't string the clue 6 units, are you just using the same gray (or whatever color you used for Bonnie's gray) for the border? Or something different? I don't have a stash for strips, but could go buy a different piece of yardage for the border...
@leheath8 I had this same question yesterday. Luckily, on NYE, I found this curved stripe at Joanns and bought the rest of the bolt (just under 3 yards). I was originally thinking of using it in the backing, but I think it will make the perfect long border now. I'm planning on cutting it on the LOF to get more movement and avoid having to piece it.
Attached Thumbnails img_20210109_001556_996.jpg  
Old 01-09-2021, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Carol in WI View Post
Is anyone else confused about the sashing information? Bonnie says to join the 2x3 1/2 red pieces with the small flying guess units and that they will measure 6 1/2 inches. I can see from the pictures that they border the 3 1/2 inch 9 patches and then will measure 6 1/2 inches unfinished, but no where are the 9 patches mentioned. I have not started putting mine together yet, but want to be sure about that step.
@Carol in WI I see what you're saying and think it may be a typo. The blocks should measure 3.5 inches and finish at 3".
Old 01-09-2021, 07:16 AM

here is my progress. I got a bit confused about the 9 patches also, so ditched in instructions and looked at the picture. I sewed the red to the 9 patches and then sewed to the strips.

Here is my progress so far. the star blocks and the strips that go with those rows, and the narrow row that goes between. I've got a dozen extra flying geese at this point. Didn't end up with extra red rectangles because I miscounted and was short 14 from what we were told to cut.
Attached Thumbnails imgp5265.jpg   imgp5267.jpg  
Old 01-09-2021, 08:23 AM

I ditched the instructions, as well, and just followed diagram. I decided on 4x4 layout so I’m making some extra units. Blocks come together quickly so I have 12 completed and will finish the additional 4 today....then onto sashing.
Old 01-09-2021, 08:24 AM

It took all day, but I finally made peace with the pattern. It is typical that it takes me a while to appreciate and understand Bonnie's mystery patterns. I don't understand the bulging sashings, but I'm now excited to see how this looks with my fabrics. However, I still have a long time sewing strings, and then I have to add the corners, so it will be several days yet, I guess, before I'm ready to go.

Is anyone else seeing propellers around the nine-patch? I think I will have to call my quilt 'Flying Low over Grassy Creek.'

This is such a fun time, seeing all the quilts take shape and all the different colorways!

Quiltylikeafox, your dyed fabrics are amazingly beautiful.

Old 01-09-2021, 09:02 AM

I haven't checked yet, but ususally when Bonnie has a confusing instruction or a mistake, she will revise the original clue. So if you check again, she may have addressed the "missing 9 patch"
Old 01-09-2021, 09:31 AM

I dunno. Maybe no sashing. I will only have 12 blocks though...will keep working and see where it goes.
Attached Thumbnails e6b62176-9264-4bba-b041-633c29de69cd.jpeg   de48e401-7c59-4079-a5fa-31fff73a3929.jpeg  
Old 01-09-2021, 09:35 AM

I think she just went in the following order: pieces that need to be cut, then pieces that needed to be sewn for the block, then the sashing and completer borders and finally putting everything together for the full top. Because the 9 patches were the cornerstones and were already an assembled unit, she did not give instructions until it was time to put the whole top together.