Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek >

Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek

Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek

Old 01-10-2021, 09:23 AM

Had to put together at least 4 to see what Bonnie's layout would look like in my colors. Haven't finished the strip pieced sashing yet - had a minor parathyroid surgery Wednesday and took a break for a couple days (back to feeling almost normal now). Anyway, may not at least for this quilt - I think I may try some lt. blue ones for a "lighter" finish just to really see how her secondary pattern works out with them - or even a solid lt. blue. The greys finish it a little dark for what I think I'm going for in my room. Have to do some more to think about it tho. When I laid the 4 next to each other I kind of like them with more light blue popping - for my purposes. Was thinking of incorporating some of my other ocean themed blocks into this quilt, but I think I'm liking it as is with my colors. More to do!
Attached Thumbnails 1st-4-blocks-web-ready.jpg   bonnies-layout-web-ready.jpg  
Old 01-10-2021, 10:12 AM

Looking great so far... Jill...I continue to watch your colors come alive. Great choices..

auntjo....I love that your Ohio stars really jump out with your neutrals. Some of mine are a little less noticeable but I’m good..

I have 3 rows assembled. I kept getting interrupted..lol...Today a friend stopping by so won’t be able to work on until this evening.. but, here it is in progress so far..
Attached Thumbnails 35f7c265-5d93-4765-95a4-a1bcc81126f8.jpeg  
Old 01-10-2021, 10:29 AM

Here are are my final color choices, doing one constant for each color and I chose from the Grunge pallet. I will play with the sashing this week and decide if I will use hers or not. I love everyones colors!
Attached Thumbnails 3d0c096e-d7cb-4399-a6fb-a608f463f216.jpeg  
Old 01-10-2021, 01:12 PM

Everyone has been so busy sewing, and the blocks are gorgeous!

auntjo, you seem to have the optimal placement of light and dark. Looking at your photo helped me see the design more clearly.

I have spent a lot of time thinking about the pattern and looking at photos on Quiltville, and have finally settled on an approach. I've gone down to 12 blocks, which, realistically, is a size quilt I will actually be able to quilt (I saw a photo of a 3x4 and liked the proportions). This also allowed me to eliminate my darkest grays and dullest golds. I have a couple of small changes I'm going to try, which I'm hoping will leave me a little more comfortable with the sashing.
Old 01-10-2021, 04:44 PM

So many great quilts coming together. Really love all the different color combinations.

I’m only doing half sized and have most of my blocks done. Just put the finished blocks out with the sashing and cornerstones to see how I like it so far. So far, so good.
Attached Thumbnails mygrassysofar.jpg  
Old 01-10-2021, 05:04 PM

SuzSLO, that has such a wonderful retro look to me. I'm just loving your color and fabric choices! It feels like a day at the beach from my childhood.
Old 01-10-2021, 05:54 PM

The blocks are looking great. Here's a little tip to those that are doing a half quilt. I have learned the hard way when I did not do this in previous mysteries. When you finish the top, go back and edit the directions to the correct number of each unit to make. i.e. half square triangles, 9 patch, flying geese ect. It is wonderful if you make the pattern again to know exactly how many of each to make. Include a photo of your quilt in the directions and the final size for future use.
Old 01-10-2021, 06:38 PM

Progress so far! I had a lot of issues with the sizing of clue 3/4 units but all 16 squares are close enough in size that I think they will come together just fine. Definitely a few questionable points/intersections, but it will all look fine from a distance in the overall quit. This is my first mystery and by far the most complex quilt I’ve made, so I’m pretty pleased so far.
Attached Thumbnails d81efba0-f59e-4d47-ad2e-6649f2ecbaa2.jpeg  
Old 01-11-2021, 09:15 AM

leheath8, that's gorgeous! You're colors really sing together.
Old 01-11-2021, 05:45 PM

Thanks for the tip, toverly!

Getting a look at my modification ideas: I shortened the string block to 6 1/2, eliminating the point. Since I made my 9-p with constant fabrics, I put a 2" bar of whatever neutral I used in the 9-p between the shortened string block and the red bar, hoping this will make the churn dashedness more obvious. One of the things I didn't like in the reveal was the way the red overwhelmed the 9-p (which in my case are kind of delicate), so I got out my least solid reds and used those as the churn dash bars. I think the round sashing looks kind of comical, but I'm hoping a pale gray or black on white constant fabric in place of the strings will make the roundness less obvious. I have some pale gray yardage and a stripe, so will experiment with those.
Attached Thumbnails img_6007_fotor.jpg   img_6008_fotor.jpg