Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 01-20-2022, 08:46 AM

Sandra-P - the worst I've done is to look at it and realize it's wrong, rip out and sew correctly, only to realize I was looking at it wrong to start with and it was Ok - so it has to be ripped out and put back the way it was to start with.

Those are the times I decide my brain needs a rest and it's time to move away from the sewing machine (and anything sharp too).

I've to the part of assembling the blocks, and after that is the fun part of getting the arranged correctly.
Old 01-20-2022, 11:57 AM

SusieQOH, nice to know I am in good company with you and Iceblossom in making the same mistake twice. Toverly, I am done with this part now! I was determined to get it finished today. Now on to the flying geese border, but not till Sunday. I have a class tomorrow and Saturday for embroidery. It is put on at the local quilt shop by OESD. I bought a Solaris two years ago and have used it mainly for embroidery projects but I have used it for this quilt to sharpen my sewing skills with it. So off to pack it in its wheely bag and get ready for tomorrow. It has been since before the Pandemic that I have taken a class. I plan on wearing a mask in the classroom, probably be the only one to do so but I dont care lol. Macybaby, just saw your post. I have done that as well. If there is a mistake to be made count on the fact that I can do it.

Last edited by Sandra-P; 01-20-2022 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-20-2022, 01:44 PM

You guys are all so far along! It's so exciting and so much fun to see your progress. I'm still working on components, so not yet ready for a layout. But it's coming.
Old 01-20-2022, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Sandra-P View Post
Well what is worse than seeing that you put an hourglass block in wrong? Ripping it out and resewing it and seeing you put it back in the exact same wrong way! Yes, I did this last night. I was just laughing telling hubby that I had done such a thing before in other projects then I go and do it! Put it away till this morning and got it right. Geez. Progress so far. I am getting kind of tired with this part. Want to move on to the flying geese. Is anyone else making this larger by putting a border on it and if so would you please share with me how you are doing that?
I feel your pain, Sandra! I have done that numerous times. I think the best thing then is to just do what you did and come back to it with fresh eyes. It looks fantastic!

Leslie
Old 01-21-2022, 03:24 AM

On a scale of 1 - 10, just how mad am I for considering NOT trimming the garnet squares, and inserting neutral triangles instead? I'm mainly thinking about using up the extra neutral triangles I cut by mistake (haha), but I also like the idea of keeping the garnets squares whole. (I could alternatively use yellow...)
Attached Thumbnails white-2.jpg   yellow-2.jpg  

Last edited by Siodach; 01-21-2022 at 03:30 AM.
Old 01-21-2022, 04:47 AM

Siodach: Actually I like the lighter colors next to the garnet, but the geometry of the result feels a bit off for me when the colors are the same. Might I make another suggestion? Could you try lining up the flying geese so that the yellow side is next to the white triangles or the white side is next to the yellow triangles?
Old 01-21-2022, 05:02 AM

Well, my answer is 11 !!!! I gave it a whirl, and put the insets into one of my setting triangles, and decided the effort involved was just not worth it, so I took them back out again….. back to square one, haha.
Old 01-21-2022, 05:46 AM

Siodach -- sometimes you just got to try it out!

I'm still waffling on my sashing decision. I've started building my borders and surely my white fabric will come today and I'll have to make a decision...
Old 01-21-2022, 06:28 AM

I wondered the same thing as woodland creature: would reversing the colors on the border look better? So, I went ahead and played with Paint and got this:

I like it better than the color matching options that Siodach posted, but I don't love it and if was my quilt, I definitely wouldn't consider it worth the effort of putting insets into the setting triangles.

It is kinda fun to consider various options.
Attached Thumbnails q3.jpg  

Last edited by platyhiker; 01-21-2022 at 06:31 AM.
Old 01-21-2022, 06:40 AM

Siodach, I like the one with the yellow to the inside. A lot also depends on what you are considering (or have fabric for) for the border.

I've got my blocks sewn into rows this morning, and then realized I've got at least one row with some blocks turned so it will be back to ripping when I get off work this afternoon. I'll be laying the rows out and looking them over good before I start sewing them together.

I've done quite a bit of ripping on this quilt so far, but not my record yet!