Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Build a quilt around a central character you design

Jenniky - Massive love for that movie! I watched it again recently with a friend and we both squee'd the whole way through. Your Mikey was fantastic and I can't wait to see Sully! And of course, Miss Celia is lovely.

Blog Entries
    Hey Jenniky, you going to make his car as well? That would be cool to add in the fold of blocks.
    Life is short, live it while you still can. QuilterMomma

VickyG ... you go girl! get a bunch of pics and then start making plans!

Quote Originally Posted by Jennalyn View Post
    Maybe taking it as a challenge will help motivate me not to let it sit once I get started!
    That's one of the good things about getting involved in these challenges .. we make an open commitment to others and then we live up to it. If we keep it a secret, no one knows ... and we keep putting it off! You're getting some good plans made, so continue on!!!

Shayzamn ... I'll look forward to seeing how Little Moo evolves!

Jenniky ... I think you posted the same over in the other thread with Miss Mazel ... somewhat answered you there!

JennaLyn and QuilterMomma ... Do hope that the two of you are going to pick out a character of your own and join in the fun of this challenge.
    Last edited by QuiltE; 07-19-2012 at 06:41 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Blog Entries
    oh great.....now I just had another idea that might need to try first. I think it will be a little easier for me since it will be more straight lines.

OK....I'm a big Doctor Who fan so I'm thinking the TARDIS in the middle and some of the monsters going around it. This will definitely be a work-in-progress because I want to make a lap quilt for me.

I'll still work on my 'puppies' quilt but maybe in a wallhanging size.

See what you've started???? Now I need to get to work. LOL
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G
    https://www.facebook.com/vickigdesigns
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VickiGDesigns

Blog Entries
    Its a very quiet Sunday

Vicki Your Dr. Who quilt sounds great. My BIL is a real big fan of Dr. Who. Are you going to start with the Tardis or the Monsters?
    Have an awesome day!

<clap> <clap> <clap>
    for VickiG ... yeaaaaaa for two projects in the plans!
    more <clap> <clap> <clap> !!!!!!!!!!!!

vivki626 - cool idea. Yes, there are so many ideas and so little time. But, we will be here for all the characters you come up with.

So, QuiltE, find any Bo-Peep fabric on the hop?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenniky View Post
    Its a very quiet Sunday

Vicki Your Dr. Who quilt sounds great. My BIL is a real big fan of Dr. Who. Are you going to start with the Tardis or the Monsters?
    I'm going to start with the Tardis as the center. I can't draw if my life depended on it so I'll have to rely on pictures to work from. I'm thinking having it on a background showing planets and stars and tilted as if it's flying. Once I get that part done, I'll figure out how to tackle the monsters -- cybermen, weeping angels, daleks to start with.

I'm probably over my head but that's me. I learned to quilt when my son wanted a quilt -- then decided he wanted a 5-pointed star as the center. It's the one in my avatar. Took 2 years of lessons and help in designing to complete.

I always push myself when learning something new.
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=QuiltE;5378848]VickyG ... you go girl! get a bunch of pics and then start making plans!

That's one of the good things about getting involved in these challenges .. we make an open commitment to others and then we live up to it. If we keep it a secret, no one knows ... and we keep putting it off! You're getting some good plans made, so continue on!!!

Thanks for the encouragement QuiltE.....I have a bad habit of making quilts for others but never anything fun for myself. So, this group will help me....also typing as I watch Doctor Who reruns LOL
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G

Blog Entries
    your quilt is lovely vickig, i have just learned to sew in jan of this year while in our winter place in arizona. then problem being is my learning partner and support group is there and i have checked here where we live in alberta during the summer but there is no groups, people, or support centre were i can get the help i desperately need. you are lucky to be able to find an area to learn and take classes. i am still hoping i will find someone here to share this with and help me learn. wish me luck .

Autumna - my quilting fairy godmother

She’s carrying quilts to a show, wearing her quilt show pins and dreaming of the fall quilts she’ll make when the weather cools down. I added 3-dimensional sleeves to her dress, too.

I started with the fairy godmother pattern I generated from the Paper Panache website a few months ago. I'm entering her in the Autumn's Glory challenge from Keepsake Quilting.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tammy

Vicki - I like your plans for a Dr. Who quilt too. My teen daughter is a huge fan and I enjoy the show too.
    Tammy

Now that's a totally FUN quilt, Kuseta ... and you just whipped this up, since W4Me started this challenge? WOW!!

W4Me ... sadly there was no meadow fabric for Miss Peep! I did buy some sky, but I really can't proceed til I get the meadows. Also got some Texture Magic, maybe for her hat? or bodice? or even trees? or the sheep? and maybe not at all? I don't know, I just thought it'd be a neat addition ... we'll have to wait and see.

Welcome kuseta,

Your quilting fairy godmother is great. So, did we inspire you to start and/or finish your fairy godmother? If so, fabulous. If she was already finished, no fair.(pouts) Now you have to come up with something equally fabulous to work on with the rest of us. It sure looks like you can do it.

Actually, my fairy godmother was in process when I found this challenge, so I was able to finish her in a short amount of time. I have thoughts of a frog quilt, so I'll keep you posted.
    Tammy

Quote Originally Posted by kuseta View Post
    Actually, my fairy godmother was in process when I found this challenge, so I was able to finish her in a short amount of time. I have thoughts of a frog quilt, so I'll keep you posted.
    That's the spirit ... make plans for the next one!

Kuseta - seeing your fairy godmother has me conjuring up all sorts of pictures as to what your frog quilt will look like and I like them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by huntersgrammie View Post
    your quilt is lovely vickig, i have just learned to sew in jan of this year while in our winter place in arizona. then problem being is my learning partner and support group is there and i have checked here where we live in alberta during the summer but there is no groups, people, or support centre were i can get the help i desperately need. you are lucky to be able to find an area to learn and take classes. i am still hoping i will find someone here to share this with and help me learn. wish me luck .
    Thanks for your kind words. The quilt shop I was taking classes moved from here (Detroit area) to Indiana this past year so I really miss Deb (the owner) a lot!! Want to do a road trip with my quilting buddy next door to go visit her.

I'm having to design "in my mind" right now since DH is in the hospital since Friday for his COPD. This is such scary stuff.
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G

kuseta, can't wait to see your frog quilt.

So sorry VickyG about your husband ... keep an idea book in your purse, and then you can sketch and make notes instead of trying to keep them in your mind! It'll be a good stress reliever for you too ... to feel like you are being constructive and creative. Here's to his being out of the hospital soon ....... and you and your friend taking off for a FART roadtrip!

I second what QuiltE said vickig626. Hope hubby improves quickly and is back home soon.

Wow, I just found this thread and am in awe with some of the designs I am seeing. I have a particular disney character I plan to make into a quilt, but it is from a cross stitch pattern. Are we allowed to share those? This might be just what I need to get off my tush and get sewing again.
    Brooke

Quote Originally Posted by brookemarie19 View Post
    Wow, I just found this thread and am in awe with some of the designs I am seeing. I have a particular disney character I plan to make into a quilt, but it is from a cross stitch pattern. Are we allowed to share those? This might be just what I need to get off my tush and get sewing again.
    Welcome BrookeMarie!!
    Absolutely ... no reason why you can't use a cross stitch centre, and then put quilting blocks around it! And whom might this Disney character be? Please do tell ... and better still, show us some pics!

Welcome brookemarie19. Are you saying you want to adapt the pattern to quilting or want to do it as a cross stitch? I think either one works. I used a cross stitch centre for my Canada D'Eh quilt for the
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltin...e-t186260.html
    and was pleased with the results.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/4669637...57628290906487

Your surrounding blocks can showcase items that go with the centre block or can use fabrics that tie in. For example: Franky is getting 12 blocks surrounding him, all in Halloween fabrics. If things work out, all will have different spider fabrics as well, to further tie in with Franky being 100% spider fabric.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with and we will all encourage you along.

W4Me ... just hit me ... that'll be one Scaaaaaaaaary Sampler!!!!

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast