Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Burgoyne Surrounded Sew-Along >

Burgoyne Surrounded Sew-Along

Burgoyne Surrounded Sew-Along

Old 10-01-2018, 10:46 AM

Default Burgoyne Surrounded Sew-Along

Welcome to my new Sew-Along! We will be making the classic quilt, Burgoyne Surrounded which refers to battle that had a significant impact in the Civil War. We will be using the free pattern by Lyn Brown (permission given & confirmed). Please check out her blog/website and her patterns at:

http://www.lynbrown.com/

Making this quilt as a Sew-Along gives us lots of advantages. We can choose our own colors, we save on postage and we have no deadlines. Remember, this is not a race. Sew at your own pace and please share your progress. We love pictures!!!

Let's get started with the supply list, options and a little house keeping. I plan on posting instruction steps approximately every two weeks - total of seven steps - unless the group prefers something else. The block is 15 1/2" unfinished. The smaller quilt calls for 12 blocks and is 59” X 77” with no Border. The larger quilt calls for 20 blocks and measures 77” X 95” with no border. There are instructions for border options in the last set of instructions. You may make a 2-color, a 3-color or a scrappy version of this quilt. Lots of choices!

The yardage requirements are in the supply list below:

http://www.lynbrown.com/wp-content/u...-List-2012.pdf

I will post Step One this coming Friday, October 5th.

Any questions - please let me know!

Thanks -

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-01-2018 at 11:25 AM. Reason: update link correction
Old 10-01-2018, 11:16 AM

I went to the site for the yardage but it says: site not found. I went to her site, but wasn't able to download anything.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:29 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pocoellie View Post
I went to the site for the yardage but it says: site not found. I went to her site, but wasn't able to download anything.
The link in the original post has been corrected and updated
Old 10-01-2018, 11:39 AM
Power Poster

I'm glad you chose this quilt. I grew up in Saratoga and my grandmother was Saratoga County Historian. So I am quite familiar with this quilt. I have owned the pattern book for many years and the spine is not even cracked LOL. Perhaps I could get it done with this thread.
https://www.amazon.com/Burgoyne-Surr...yne+surrounded
Old 10-01-2018, 12:29 PM

Thank you Jane for choosing and hosting this sew along.

Yes , I am so in on doing this along with everyone. Now to brainstorm which color way 2 colors scrappy or just all colors scrappy with a solid color background. Can't wait to see what everyone chooses for there Burgoyne Surrounded
Old 10-01-2018, 01:08 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
I'm glad you chose this quilt. I grew up in Saratoga and my grandmother was Saratoga County Historian. So I am quite familiar with this quilt. I have owned the pattern book for many years and the spine is not even cracked LOL. Perhaps I could get it done with this thread.
https://www.amazon.com/Burgoyne-Surr...yne+surrounded
Was in Saratoga last summer...history police here, Jane (LOL). It was the Revolutionary War, not Civil War. Thanks for starting this...going to get my reds ready and find a background fabric.
Old 10-01-2018, 01:10 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Was in Saratoga last summer...history police here, Jane (LOL). It was the Revolutionary War, not Civil War. Thanks for starting this...going to get my reds ready and find a background fabric.
oksewglad... since you quoted my post, I just assumed that I had made the mistake. Turns out it was not my error after all.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-01-2018 at 02:57 PM. Reason: correction of confusion
Old 10-01-2018, 02:18 PM

Yep - - - Revolutionary War not the Civil War.
Old 10-01-2018, 02:22 PM

I'm going to do mine in scrappy 30's. I think the trick is to have good contrast so I'm trying to choose prints that are strong enough to stand out to create the 'circle' and the chain part of the blocks.

I'm anxious to see what others are choosing for your colors too.
Old 10-01-2018, 06:56 PM
Power Poster

This is my selection---yikes![ATTACH=CONFIG]601955[/ATTACH]
What a mess! Yes I decided to use my red scraps. As many of the fabrics have been gifted, most have not been prewashed. I prewash, especially the reds. An idea popped into my head. Why not put the bits in lingerie bags and wash them in the washer. Great plan, right? Not! The zippers broke and I have one hot mess to sort through. DD called tonight and spent +30 minutes talking to her while separating out the tangle. Still more to go. Don't think I will dry these in the dryer. Guess I had better get through sorting! Sigh....
Attached Thumbnails dscn0620-2-.jpg