Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: "Fun on the Farm" Free BOM from Eleanor Burns

Jane Quilter, I think we have 18 farmers joining us on this tour of Eleanor's Farm.

Hopefully we get to make a chicken block. I've loved chickens since I was a kid. I wonder if all the blocks are going to be scrappy like Joy the Pig... So much fun guessing!

I'm going to try to get a head start on the fence sashing soon. Just finishing up my Summertime quilt top made from the swap Judith led here on the QB. It's a bit late for this year's summer celebrations, but there is always next year!
    Quilters do not make mistakes, only variations

1912 White Rotary Treadle, 1942 Singer 66-16, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

Blog Entries
    NZ, on the Facebook group, I guess they had requests from Eleanor Burns for coordinated yardage. And, she specifically stated this quilt was designed to be a scrap (buster) type quilt.

I can't wait to see your Summertime II Quilt NZquilter. I still have mine in the design phase. I have one block to finish embroidering for the Summertime I Quilt before it is completely done.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee

I didn't know that, Judith. That's great that she designed it as a scrap buster quilt! That way each and every quilt will be different and personal. So nice!

1912 White Rotary Treadle, 1942 Singer 66-16, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

Blog Entries
    On Facebook, the even had some who did black pigs. It's some type of specific type of pig.

I agree, I like the idea of a Scrappy Farm. I like being able to use what I have on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Judith1005 View Post
    On Facebook, the even had some who did black pigs. It's some type of specific type of pig.
    I agree, I like the idea of a Scrappy Farm. I like being able to use what I have on hand.

Here you are Judith ... here's a chart with photos of different breeds of pigs ....

http://www.ontariopork.on.ca/Portals...-05-172519-073

There are more than 29 different breeds (around the world) that are raised for pork.

Yorkshire, Landrace, Duroc and Hampshire are the popular breeds, here in Canada.
    Though you will find others.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post

Here you are Judith ... here's a chart with photos of different breeds of pigs ....

http://www.ontariopork.on.ca/Portals...-05-172519-073

There are more than 29 different breeds (around the world) that are raised for pork.

Yorkshire, Landrace, Duroc and Hampshire are the popular breeds, here in Canada.
    Though you will find others.
    Thanks for posting this chart. I am not a farmer and have always thought there was one kinda pig. Guess you keep on learning no matter your age.

QuiltE that was interesting. I have raised hogs one or two at a time for the meat. I never knew what the breeds were. Most were either white or black with a white band. Once we raised a red one. Always liked raising 2 at a time as they have competition on eating and do so well. Also like having a good sized pen for exercise so they aren't fatty. Since it's mostly just my husband and I now we don't raise any hogs. I bet the black and white scrappy pig was cute too.
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by sJens View Post
    Thanks for posting this chart. I am not a farmer and have always thought there was one kinda pig. Guess you keep on learning no matter your age.
    Quote Originally Posted by lawsonmugs View Post
    QuiltE that was interesting. I have raised hogs one or two at a time for the meat. I never knew what the breeds were. Most were either white or black with a white band. Once we raised a red one. Always liked raising 2 at a time as they have competition on eating and do so well. Also like having a good sized pen for exercise so they aren't fatty. Since it's mostly just my husband and I now we don't raise any hogs. I bet the black and white scrappy pig was cute too.

sJens and LawsonMugs
    Yes, lots of breeds of pigs .... just as there are for dogs, cows, horses and and and .......

Glad it helped you be a little more aware of the food that we eat and where it comes from.
    Last edited by QuiltE; 08-10-2018 at 08:32 AM.
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I live in the north valleys of reno. It is above reno on the north side. My friend connie who lives a couple valleys from me has a pet potbelly pig that would even come into her house! It was surprising to see, for sure. She had a huge white parrot, a donkey, horse and an assortment of chickens. A very fun time to visit there and buy her eggs. They were all colors and very fresh!
    Now sue who lives only one valley away, has llamas, rabbits, and horses. I enjoyed her home only once, but it was so interesting and fun to pet them.

I finished my pig last night but my canera had to be charged up before I could post. Dang it.
    Last edited by RedGarnet222; 08-10-2018 at 09:05 AM.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

Blog Entries
    Yeah Red, so good to see your here.

I am not sure this will show up right. New computer... lol! Yay! I did it! I only had a small baby blue rick rack so I made this little tail. I changed the feet to be a little more pointy too, cause I like the hooves on piggies.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RedGarnet222; 08-10-2018 at 11:33 AM.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

Blog Entries
    Your piggy is super cute. And, I love the curly tail you made with the thinner rick rack. Great stash busting, right?!

Yeah Red, so good to see your here.
    Thanks Judith! I honestly wondered if that dang flu was gonna kill me three times! Wow, what a horrible thing to get.
    RedGarnet222

*Oliver Wendell Holms

Your piggy is super cute. And, I love the curly tail you made with the thinner rick rack. Great stash busting, right?!
    I was very fun to make something in such a fast amount of time after working on the other things I made lately. I have had to sew at night upstairs because of the heat. Most days over a hundred and so smokey you can't open a window. Uh, what a summer.
    RedGarnet222

*Oliver Wendell Holms

Here is the finished "art" quilt for the little boy.

https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictur...ml#post8109131
    RedGarnet222

*Oliver Wendell Holms

Darling piggy, Red!! Love the tail... Art quilt is awesome, too!

My DH raised a pig when he was a wee lad for 4H. He named her Rosebud, loved on her, played with her, showed her in competitions, won ribbons with her,...then he ate her. Lol.. I know I know....on the farm, these creatures are not pets but.....I figure once you name it, it's a pet...lol.. He wants to get a couple of goats when we move and I already told him they would not be butchered. No way...
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Beautiful art quilt Sandy.
    Mary

Thanks girls! I appreciate your kind comments. Really!
    Teen, I have never lived on a farm, but my mom did and she taught us all about the life there daily. It is so "real". I love gardening and working in the garden. The landscaping I put in over 17 years old now is a challenge to keep up at my age. I can't imagine the long days people put in their whole life.
    Last edited by RedGarnet222; 08-10-2018 at 07:30 PM.
    RedGarnet222

*Oliver Wendell Holms

Blog Entries
    Red, that is the cutest curly blue tail ever!

LOL! This is very fun. Thanks everyone for the kind comments. I am still thinking about making the sashings / borders like her pattern. Is anyone else making them like that?
    RedGarnet222

*Oliver Wendell Holms

I am. I ordered some wood looking fabric to make it look more like fencing.
    Mary

Darling pig, Red! I too like the curly tail.

Lawsonmugs, wood printed fabric sounds wonderful for the fence! What a great idea. I too will be making the fenced sashing but I'll be using a dark brown fabric I have in my stash. I still need to measure it, but I think I have enough.

Blog Entries
    Red, sorry to hear you had to battle Pneumonia for so long. I hope this time you really are on the mend.

I'm still thinking about the fencing also. But, instead of individually around each block, I might do it as a border all around the outside of the quilt. But, I am extremely undecided on the color. As I don't have any brown in my stash. I do have gray though. So, maybe gray would work. I will continue to give it some thought and maybe do a small mock sample to see if I like the color.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 View Post
    LOL! This is very fun. Thanks everyone for the kind comments. I am still thinking about making the sashings / borders like her pattern. Is anyone else making them like that?
    I definitely will be making her fence. But I plan on making a white fence with green beside it. Growing up in MS our fences were white washed and grass always grew under it.

Blog Entries
    toverly, white fencing is a wonderful idea. I have lots and lots of white also. Will give it a think. I am making this quilt very bright. So, it will need a little lightning and freshening in the final border. May jump on your white band wagon.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast