Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
"Fun on the Farm" Free BOM from Eleanor Burns >

"Fun on the Farm" Free BOM from Eleanor Burns

"Fun on the Farm" Free BOM from Eleanor Burns

Old 03-02-2019, 12:56 PM

After the first couple of blocks came out, I decided to sit back and watch how the BOM was playing out. I have really enjoyed seeing your creativity on your blocks. The personalized changes you've made.

I decided to put the first 3 blocks aside for right now. I have started over. I pulled out all my 30's repro's that I have been hoarding. I set them out on my table and pulled the patterns back out.

So, here is a photo of the fabrics I'm pulling from.

I re-started with Joy. Because she's just fun. Maybe I need to make a quilt of cutie Pigs with this pattern. I do have a hankering to make a black one. But, that is a thought for another time.

And, here is a photo of the barn and the Farmer's Daughter block together. I have been playing with these two blocks since this morning. The barn has literaly kicked my butt. I have re-cut, unstitched over the course of the day. I have lost points. But, I am a firm believer of doing your best and done is better then perfect. So, I'm happy with it. I will be working on quilting and embellishing it this evening.

I am still doing it as a QAYG. The backing is going to be all white. So, white is the sashing on the blocks. Because, that is what I had on hand that I had enough of last night when I re-started this QAL.

I think I'm going to do the pumpkin next. I need an easy one. I am still going to change/add/or omit a block here and there. As, I'm really not one to follow a pattern all the way through. I'm not going to do the fencing the way she did. I'm thinking of doing a chevron border around the outside when I'm done with all the middle blocks.

Thank you to all of you that have inspired me to give this darling QAL another go. I'm not looking at as a kids quilt now. I'm just looking at it as patchwork quilt now. And, that has re-newed my energy. See you soon with another block to share.
Old 03-02-2019, 03:28 PM

All lovely, Judith!! Love the 30's fabric.... The dress block will look great with those fabrics.... I decided to do the dress block. I'm so far behind but I will get to these blocks. I am 4 blocks behind...ugh! I hate that. Makes me want to unpack u til I find the project box for this BOM...
Old 03-02-2019, 04:40 PM

Lovely, Judith! I'm looking forward to your future blocks!
Old 03-03-2019, 08:20 AM

Good range of 30's colors. That will make an awesome quilt. You might want to think of adding a brown 30's just in case. I made the Farm Girl Vintage quilt and that was the only color I couldn't substitute very well.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:01 PM

Lovely Judith. I like your fabric range and completed blocks. I'm saving the block patterns for my to do list. I'm thinking it will make a great kidlet quilt.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:26 PM

I made this tractor applique six years ago for a project that didn't ultimately need it. I've kept it all this time, and it finally found an appropriate place in this quilt. All I had to do was blanket stitch around it on some background fabric. I feel so accomplished!
Attached Thumbnails tractor.jpg  
Old 03-07-2019, 04:06 PM
Power Poster

Very cute. love the mud on the tires... lol
Old 03-07-2019, 05:04 PM

Jen...that is so cool! Perfect for this BOM and your fabrics are always spot on...
Old 03-07-2019, 07:55 PM

JENNR8R: Awesome use for the tractor applique!
Old 03-08-2019, 05:57 AM

JENNR8R, that's a fabulous tractor. So glad that you can pull out a little orphan block and that it can get some love and use. I love how big and chuncky it is. Just as a tractor should be.