Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 01-02-2015, 01:50 AM

Hi all,
This is the first time I've done a BH mystery, and I've enjoyed making the units. I've done the 25% size so far, and only my black and yellow are scrappy (2 blues don't really count as scrappy!). Along the way I changed out my original neutral (too yellow) and my original green (too dark). I didn't have any pink in my stash so substituted red.

Looking at the photos, the ones I like the most are those with the palest green in the sashing, which seems to calm the busy-ness immensely. Needless to say MY green is too dark to do that lol.

Sadly, when I laid out Bonnie's arrangement I didn't really like it - I don't know if it was because I had too few blocks to show the pattern properly, or the dark red didn't work, or because I left out the sashing by mistake (which I didn't notice til I pulled up the photo this morning lol).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]504442[/ATTACH]

So I spent an hour or so playing around with the layout till I did get some thing to my liking.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]504445[/ATTACH]

I flipped the diamonds round so the red makes a square along with the broken dishes red sections, and I like the four yellow squares in a line across the diagonal centre. I did try a solid centre as some others have done, but I preferred the 4 yellows together.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]504444[/ATTACH]

So last night I cut enough extra to make 3 more blocks to square it off, and then I'll need to think about the borders. I'm going to make the inner border out of my red too, since the reddish carpet seems to compliment the layout lol. The 25% of the outer border units only go half way round the now, so I'll have to make more of those.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]504443[/ATTACH]

Luckily, it's chucking it down with rain here today, so maybe I can get on with sewing today.....

Best of wishes to you all for a great 2015,
Cheers, K
Attached Thumbnails bonnies-layout.jpg   layout.jpg   block.jpg   layout-2.jpg  
Old 01-02-2015, 02:23 AM

OMG that is truly dreadful. Who could sleep under it? Like others I think I will rearrange the bits and pieces ....someday. I have put too many hours into it to count it a sunk cost and walk off, but not nearly enough to have more than the first clue assembled. Maybe I can finish it and donate to a home for the blind, God bless them.
Where is the illusion? Is it the illusion of sanity I have left after all this work? I have done my first and last mystery quilt. well, chalk it up to experience and get back to something I can stomach looking at.
ARGHHHH!

Piece out, all!
And Happy New Year!
Old 01-02-2015, 04:32 AM

Siodach, I think you are doing well and I like your changes.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Siodach View Post
Hi all,
This is the first time I've done a BH mystery, and I've enjoyed making the units. I've done the 25% size so far, and only my black and yellow are scrappy (2 blues don't really count as scrappy!). Along the way I changed out my original neutral (too yellow) and my original green (too dark). I didn't have any pink in my stash so substituted red.

Looking at the photos, the ones I like the most are those with the palest green in the sashing, which seems to calm the busy-ness immensely. Needless to say MY green is too dark to do that lol.

Sadly, when I laid out Bonnie's arrangement I didn't really like it - I don't know if it was because I had too few blocks to show the pattern properly, or the dark red didn't work, or because I left out the sashing by mistake (which I didn't notice til I pulled up the photo this morning lol).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]504442[/ATTACH]

So I spent an hour or so playing around with the layout till I did get some thing to my liking.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]504445[/ATTACH]

I flipped the diamonds round so the red makes a square along with the broken dishes red sections, and I like the four yellow squares in a line across the diagonal centre. I did try a solid centre as some others have done, but I preferred the 4 yellows together.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]504444[/ATTACH]

So last night I cut enough extra to make 3 more blocks to square it off, and then I'll need to think about the borders. I'm going to make the inner border out of my red too, since the reddish carpet seems to compliment the layout lol. The 25% of the outer border units only go half way round the now, so I'll have to make more of those.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]504443[/ATTACH]

Luckily, it's chucking it down with rain here today, so maybe I can get on with sewing today.....

Best of wishes to you all for a great 2015,
Cheers, K
Did you see the one on FB w/ the black 1 inch sashing I think it would look good w/ your colors
Old 01-02-2015, 04:54 AM

I kind of agree suesew.
I went into this knowing that Bonnies quilts are very busy to me and that she uses smaller pieces than I like but I wanted the experience of doing a mystery. I even went back and looked at the finished other mystery quilts.
Today I woke up at 3am and the first thing that popped into my head was what could I do to make this quilt more to my liking. I hate to make it just to get rid of it somewhere.
I think if I make the sashing all one color it would help especially since I am doing one fabric for each color.
Problem is I'm not sure I would have enough green since I only bought for half intending to do 1/4. I will have to measure for that. I could use the turquoise since I know I would enough for that. Maybe I could make the corner stones the green and the strips the turquoise. I need to get some green in there.
The second thing that I would like to change is the center of the stars. To me the blue and yellow just don't look like they belong. I'm thinking of going with my white which is white with black blobs or my black which is black with white blobs.
Anyway I am not ready to give up on this. I have too much time and money invested to quit yet. I will keep looking at others pictures to see what I like best.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:01 AM

I think I'm probably going to swap out the sashing for something calmer. Maybe I'll use the sashing I already made on the back. I do love the border as she designed. I usually end up doing a solid border on her quilts since they tend to be busy for my taste, but I'll use her idea this time.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:12 AM

on the yahoo group quiltvillechat someone posted a picture of one with light checkerboard sashing instead of the brighter darker green she used light blue. The block was darker and the quilt looked totally different.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
Did you see the one on FB w/ the black 1 inch sashing I think it would look good w/ your colors
hi, yes I did, but not until after I'd sewn the sashing onto my 6 blocks. My first instinct was not to frog, but thinking about it, I suspect maybe a red sashing between would be good. The blocks are not sewn together yet, so frogging would not be TOO onerous lol. I think I'll have a play around in photoshop, see what the effect of different colours could be before I start....
cheers, K
Old 01-02-2015, 06:53 AM

Wow! I just caught up and read every thing that had been posted and have to say I missed alot! Everyones work so far looks great. My sister left to go back home on Tuesday, so that left Wednesday to clean house and yesterday to play. I have put together they way I would like it. I added pinwheels instead of solid blocks to the dashing and solid instead of for patch to my centers. All in all I am pleased and will find something to do with what I have left to make another throw.
Attached Thumbnails 20150102_094608.jpg  
Old 01-02-2015, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Siodach View Post
hi, yes I did, but not until after I'd sewn the sashing onto my 6 blocks. My first instinct was not to frog, but thinking about it, I suspect maybe a red sashing between would be good. The blocks are not sewn together yet, so frogging would not be TOO onerous lol. I think I'll have a play around in photoshop, see what the effect of different colours could be before I start....
cheers, K

OK so I played with photoshop instead of sewing, what do you guys think about adding extra sashing? (Outer border still to be sorted.....)

black
[ATTACH=CONFIG]504452[/ATTACH]

red
[ATTACH=CONFIG]504453[/ATTACH]

combo
[ATTACH=CONFIG]504454[/ATTACH]

back to the sewing machine now lol
cheers, K
Attached Thumbnails black.jpg   red.jpg   red-black-red2.jpg