Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 12-04-2014, 02:05 PM

Sunlite, LOL. Isn't there something about a watched pot???

I don't know about a GRAND Illusion, but there are plenty of Optical illusions in this pattern. I didn't have to re-break too many of those broken dishes but they seemed to want to switch places when I wasn't looking. But....I made it before the next clue (only doing 1/4 so I'm not bragging, for sure). I am doing one fabric for each color except for the pink. After all, geraniums aren't all one color of pink.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]501199[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails whitepine11-%25.jpg  

Last edited by whitepine; 12-04-2014 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:09 PM

Julie, I didn't trim the HST but definitely trimmed after the completed broken dishes. The HSTs never seem to come out the same as a plain square for me. Not a lot to trim but enough to throw off the next step.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:40 PM

Whitepine they look great...my DD is doing a constant yellow and constant black (she found a really cute black) and scrappy with green, aqua and the rosey pink corals...I am just constant yellow and several scrappy of everything else but finding that some accidentally match... oops.

ok, will only check for the clue once every five minutes after 9P.M. (PST) that will not be watching (sorta...actually I know I will fall asleep while waiting)
Old 12-04-2014, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by HouseDragon View Post
*LOL* We live in the tropics and not much dries out too much here. It's usually the other way around.

Do you have an olfa mat? Or Fiskers?

I bought an olfa mat after the Fiskers mat became hard as a rock.

It turns out the hard as a rock Fiskers mat is perfect to use the pinking blade on.

House Dragon, My brother lives on your island! You might run into him or his wife. George & Jami Knox.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles View Post
going to take a nap and be wide awake at the time the clue posts.......that is my strategy.....it never worked for Santa but it may work tonight !!!
OH OH check this out http://quiltville.blogspot.co.uk/201...fi-go-out.html
Old 12-04-2014, 04:34 PM

Oh, my! So we might have less time than normal for the second clue (and more time for the first)?

I'm happy to report that I have resolved all of my fabric issues. I set aside some of my lighter pinks that were reading as solids, and replaced them with higher contrast, larger scale prints. I brought in some lighter blues, and figured out my blacks. My only remaining glitch is that I'm waiting on a black from Hancock's of Paducah. I placed the order on the weekend and it is still pending (not shipped). They must have been swamped with orders due to all the sales they've been having. I guess I can set aside a number of broken dishes units until that black arrives. In the meantime, I'm off to sew like mad until the next clue is up.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:59 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK View Post
Well, looks like we all can get a good night's sleep tonight! I'm going to have a busy weekend (my last craft show before Christmas), so I won't get to sew right away, anyway. I'm done with my clue 1-- made 75 blocks instead of 100-- so I'm ready for #2 when it shows up.

Poor Bonnie... first her dog being poorly, then her back goes out, and now nature is conspiring against her.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:17 PM

I did my un sewing and now have started to sew the HST to the yellow and black again. Next come the broken dish units. I did one and like it a lot.
I am not ready for clue 2 but am anxious to at least see it so will be checking on when Bonnie gets her power back!

I squared up the HST and I will be squaring up the broken dish units also. Any of the black and HST or yellow and HST that look off will be squared up before making the broken dish units.
You can't square too much IMHO!
Old 12-04-2014, 06:34 PM

I took a long nap and this 75 year old is ready to party......or chamomile tea and sleep
Old 12-04-2014, 07:01 PM

Bonnie has her power back! You may begin again to watch the clock!