Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
International Patriotic Challenge >

International Patriotic Challenge

International Patriotic Challenge

Old 05-22-2012, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post

Thank You
Ghostie ... Now that's just the cutest little Smiley ever!!!!
I ended up working (the paying type) ... instead of enjoying the Stat Holiday!!!

And another wickedly hot day it was . Thankfully there was a breeze to help moderate it a little .
The heat is the reason I didn't use this much cuter patriotic smiley ...his hat is too much out of season!
Old 05-22-2012, 06:55 AM

Here is half of my Texas Star. It's so big it doesn't fit on my design wall. I have all of the star done and need to complete 2 more setting blocks which are made up of 8 paper pieced sections. Squaring up a star can be challenging and that will be the next step. Don't know if I will even get to sew on it before July 1 but I'm glad for this challenge. I'm in Texas for the rest of this month and have to get the anniversary and wedding quilts bound in June and keep up with classwork. At least I got it out of the box and have a plan for finishing sometime this summer...I hope! Thanks QuiltE and works4me for this challenge.
Attached Thumbnails texas-star-half.jpg  
Old 05-22-2012, 10:53 AM

Wow, Gardnergal that is one awesome quilt. Glad you put it in your to do list. Your going to be so happy when it is completed!
Old 05-22-2012, 05:54 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by gardnergal970 View Post
Here is half of my Texas Star. It's so big it doesn't fit on my design wall. I have all of the star done and need to complete 2 more setting blocks which are made up of 8 paper pieced sections. Squaring up a star can be challenging and that will be the next step. Don't know if I will even get to sew on it before July 1 but I'm glad for this challenge. I'm in Texas for the rest of this month and have to get the anniversary and wedding quilts bound in June and keep up with classwork. At least I got it out of the box and have a plan for finishing sometime this summer...I hope! Thanks QuiltE and works4me for this challenge.

That's going to be spectacular GGal .... With a beauty like that, I too am gload you let it back out of it's hiding spot. After your Texas trip .. then will you be able to work on it?

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
The heat is the reason I didn't use this much cuter patriotic smiley ...his hat is too much out of season!

He's a cutie, but yes a tad warm right now for him to wear that toque amidst this heat wave!
I'm surprised you don't have one with sunglasses and a swim suit!!!
Old 05-23-2012, 07:44 AM

Hi all, took a few days off. A lot seems to have happened while I was away.

QuiltE - Thanks for keeping the Welcome Wagon going.

leggz48 - Glad you were able to find more of the fabric. The other project sounds like a good cause. We'll be here to cheer you on when you get back to us.

debquilts2 - Good to have you along. Small is good and small gets finished.

Jenniky - looks great.

bmwolfensberger - Sounds good. We love to see progress photos. Will you be doing #3 with us?

Muv - Gorgeous.

ghostrider - we look forward to seeing what you come up with but don't lose sleep on our account.

gardnergal970 - looks wonderful. Keep it going and we'll be here to cheer you on.

Me, I finished my mystery quilt block completely so can now move on to the Canada D'Eh quilt.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]337472[/ATTACH]This is what has been holding me up. I'm not thrilled with it so I was dragging my heels on finishing. But, I have a policy that one doesn't get started until the other is finished so had to get my rear in gear.

Finished the centre of the Canada quilt. [ATTACH=CONFIG]337473[/ATTACH]I used gardnergal's method of sewing the fabric to the back of the centre and cutting diagonally. That way, I was sewing straight lines the whole time. It worked out to be an exact 12-1/2inch square at the end which is what I need. Managed to also get my white sqares cut out, my red maple leaves cut and fused to the white squares so I'm doing well now. Need to play with scraps to decide how I want to applique everything. Would love to hand applique but don't think my hands will take it and I don't think I have the time. We'll see. But not until at least this coming weekend.

Good to have everyone on board. Keep up all the great work.
Attached Thumbnails mystery-hanging.jpg   canada-deh-centre-1-.jpg  
Old 05-23-2012, 10:00 AM

Ohhh, I think your mystery block turned out wonderful. I've got to finish mine now!!! The new mystery block starts this week.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:41 AM

Thank you. If I had it to do over, the pale blue would be the centre and the batik would be one of the rectangles. That way, the centre would be a different value. But, it was a mystery so, who knew?

It turns out I'm not a good mystery person. I like to know the ending so I have some control. I should have known that but I've now proven it. I plan to follow along the new mystery but make the block at a later date.

I'm working from a pattern for the Canada quilt but am changing it. There's that control thing again.

Originally Posted by JeanieG View Post
Ohhh, I think your mystery block turned out wonderful. I've got to finish mine now!!! The new mystery block starts this week.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:14 PM
Power Poster

W4Me ... what a cute kitty quilt hanger that is!! Your Mystery looks pretty nice, despite your dissatisfaction. And what progress you have made with your Canada D'Eh!!!! What a woman ... away for a few days holidays and comes back and races right on with her latest and next projects!!
Old 05-23-2012, 01:43 PM

I have two of those hangers and generally try to make quilts that have bottom tabs for the tail portion. Mystery was too big for that and I have too small a dowel being used with the other hanger so, there it is. I plan to add buy dowels to my shopping list for this weekend so mystery may end up with a tail yet. Mind you, two felines play with the tail dowels so...

Hey, I got nothing at all done until yesterday so it should be even more impressive.

Last edited by works4me; 05-23-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:46 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by works4me View Post
Hey, I got nothing at all done until yesterday so it should be even more impressive.
Absolutely impressive!!!!!!