Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 9 of 54 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 ... LastLast

Thread: International Patriotic Challenge

DublB's X method works ... you have bias on the outside edges of yoru square in a square.
    I used it for this quilt, as I needed to get the pattern facing the right way in the setting triangles. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t179122.html

The \ method ... you have bias on the side you are stitching right away, leaving straight of grain on the outside edges.

Either ways, you have bias to deal with ... spray starch the fabric and it'll help keep it stable while you are cutting/trimming.

If not doing overly large sq-in-sq .... I like to PP them .... gets it all really nice and precise.

W4Me .... how large is your cross stitched maple leaf centre?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Beautiful quilt QuiltE.

Cross stitch is now about 9" square (I haven't actually measured ) Final square will be 12" finished.
    Maple leaf is about 6"(?) so I have room to play.

Blog Entries
    Here is a sample of my Patriotic MQ Clue 1, 2 and 3. Next clue is Friday.. cant wait to see whats next. Will have to come back later and peruse all the postings. Have a wonderful day everyone.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Have an awesome day!

W4Me ... Perfect!! big enough, but not overpowering!!! Room to play is always good ... so when creativity strikes, you're not prevented from using it!

JenniKy ... Looks terrific! Is this a patriotic mystery for all? Or just that you chose the fabrics as such? We'll look forward to seeing what the next clue creates!

Blog Entries
    QuiltE, I am doing a Mystery quilt on another site which I selected to make as my Patriotic challenge. I am doing two quilts in this mystery. One in Black and Tan/white Paisley and the other Patriotic for this challenge. It's been really fun to see how all the quilts are emerging. I think the last estimate was that 800 were signed up and participating...I'm sure there are many who are working on it that are not signed up. All of the mystery's I have done up to now have just been for smaller quilts or large blocks which can be expanded to the size you prefer. This is the first time I have done a mystery with a full size quilt as the outcome..so very exciting for me. The patriotic quilt will be for me and the Paisley for my DH. This next winter we will have to become even more scrupulous on heating fuel...the cost is so high...so we will be wrapping up in these quilts for TV watching and working at the computer. LOL we are not very good at sharing covers so we both need our own. Haha
    Have an awesome day!

Jenniky - looks fabulous. I'm looking forward to more updates. Perhaps you can provide a link to the Mystery for us?
    I'm thinking moose for the centre of the left hand centre blocks. Too many possibilities for next year's patriotic project and I have barely begun this year's.

Blog Entries
    I wasnt sure if I was allowed to. I originally heard about this mystery on this site someone was trying to satellite host it over here and it was shut down..so l went over to the actual site.. A lot of posts to read up on with so many people participating.. Obviously cant read everyone's posts and replies or I wouldn't be doing anything else all day but reading and replying LOL. I will PM you with the link W4me and If anyone else would like it please PM me and I will be happy to send you a link.
    Have an awesome day!

Thank you. Didn't realize it was a different site.

Not that I need more projects, especially with the new mystery train starting today.

Muv
    Hello Jenniky - nice to see your blocks on display! And interesting to see that you are doing two at once so you can have two different versions. I don't know if I could do a Mystery Quilt - the suspense would be too much.

It's been a busy day, and I've posted a tutorial thread with pictures to explain the method I am using. I hope I have taken the mystery out of it!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...ml#post5205713

Quote Originally Posted by dublb View Post
    W4Me - I heard of a method for doing a square in a square. (I have done it once.) Cut 2 squares the same size as the center square. Now cut diagonal across both of 'em. 4 triangles that are too big. Find the centers of the center block & the centers of the triangles. Line 2 of the centers up w/the opposite sides of the block & sew 'em on. Then do the other 2 sides. Trim to the correct size. Clear as mud???? Wish I had my camera so I could show ya.
    One of my friends laid a square of the next color on top of the original block and sewed a 1/4 inch seam all the way around. She then drew an X from corner to corner, clipped along the lines and pressed it open. Looked really simple but I've never tried it.

Blog Entries
    Muv.... tomorrow Im going to give the stems on my dgd's quilt a go again using your method. I also was inspired by your tutorial on antique applique.

Muvs Method:
    Fold and iron the material on the diagonal. Then cut the folded material through both thicknesses. For these stems I am cutting half an inch from the fold. Then lay the strip, still folded, on the backing material and pin in position. Have the end with the selvedge at the bottom of the stem. Then stitch one eighth of an inch from the raw edges. Next, fold the stem over and iron into place so the stitching and raw edges are covered, then stitch down the folded edge by hand. The stem will be three eighths of an inch thick. The raw edges at the top of the stem will be covered by the applique flower.

I havent had time to catch up on reading all the posts while I was away however, the pictures are worth a thousand words everyone who has posted pictures of their projects in the works. So many different processes and techniques. Let me just say WOW so much talent and beautiful fabrics everyone.
    Have an awesome day!

Here is update on my Red White & Blue Stars using a pattern called "Crown Jewels". Now I'm looking for an appropriate border and backing. Stay tuned!
    Linda

Quote Originally Posted by Jenniky View Post
    Here is a sample of my Patriotic MQ Clue 1, 2 and 3. Next clue is Friday.. cant wait to see whats next. Will have to come back later and peruse all the postings. Have a wonderful day everyone.
    This is what I need for my border !!! So pretty and patriotic.
    Linda

Leggs48....what a great pattern! Can't wait to see how it goes together.

QuiltE...I was crazy to think I could get the Texas Star done by July 1. I'm going to be traveling for 2 weeks and the 3 gift quilts go with me so no avoiding that deadline and then my regular quilt class projects which I need to keep up on. Your challenge did get it on my design wall and I fell in love with it all over again. It won't be buried so deep again and it will get finished this year, just not by July 1.

gardnergal970 - that sounds like a pretty simple way to do the square in a square. Will keep it in mind. Glad your design made it to the design board. We won't tell if you don't finish by July 1, but we DO want to see progress photos.

leggz48 - gorgeous

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by leggz48 View Post
    This is what I need for my border !!! So pretty and patriotic.
    Linda I love your quilt top.. the patriotic stars fabric in my quilt is from JoAnns Im sure you can find it on line.. my local one currently has a really nice large selection of patriotic fabrics.
    Have an awesome day!

Muv
    Hello Legz48 - what a lovely cheerful quilt!

Gardnergal - I'll be lucky if I'm finished by October 1st. Just join in!

A progress report picture...

Quote Originally Posted by leggz48 View Post
    Here is update on my Red White & Blue Stars using a pattern called "Crown Jewels". Now I'm looking for an appropriate border and backing. Stay tuned!
    Your quilt is very striking, look forward to seeing your border addition!

Quote Originally Posted by Muv View Post
    Hello Legz48 - what a lovely cheerful quilt!

Gardnergal - I'll be lucky if I'm finished by October 1st. Just join in!

A progress report picture...
    Hmmm.... interesting year..... is that your birth year? OR?

Muv
    The year of the Queen's Coronation. I am trying to get the wall hanging ready in time for the Diamond Jubilee celebrations on 4th June.

GGal ... neat way to do the square in a square, though for me, I'd probably clip right thru and into the uncut square, so I think I'd best steer clear, for safety's sake!! Glad that the Texas Star has resurfaced and is no longer ♫♪♪ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GhHf_5-cdE ♪♪♫ And yes you will finish it before your 4th of July ........ some year!! How be you give us some pics of it on your design wall????

What say ALL? ... do you agree that GGal should show us some pics?

Muv ... Alas! we get to "see".. Yippppppeeeee!!!!!! And wow does it look wonderful. I'l be checking out your tutorial. As I said before, I haven't done applique to any extent, though am getting intrigued by it and can see me at least giving it a try!

Leggz .. Nice pattern!!! Looks like a spinoff from a Carpenter's Wheel. What are you looking for, for your border and backing choices? I can see a RW+B stripe border or what about a piano key border in the assorted fabrics you've used? Being that it's patriotic, backing would be nice in a patriotic print.

JenniKy ... oh please do show us some pics of what your applique in progress a la Muv!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    GGal ... neat way to do the square in a square, though for me, I'd probably clip right thru and into the uncut square, so I think I'd best steer clear, for safety's sake!! Glad that the Texas Star has resurfaced and is no longer ♫♪♪ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GhHf_5-cdE ♪♪♫ And yes you will finish it before your 4th of July ........ some year!! How be you give us some pics of it on your design wall????

What say ALL? ... do you agree that GGal should show us some pics?

Muv ... Alas! we get to "see".. Yippppppeeeee!!!!!! And wow does it look wonderful. I'l be checking out your tutorial. As I said before, I haven't done applique to any extent, though am getting intrigued by it and can see me at least giving it a try!

Leggz .. Nice pattern!!! Looks like a spinoff from a Carpenter's Wheel. What are you looking for, for your border and backing choices? I can see a RW+B stripe border or what about a piano key border in the assorted fabrics you've used? Being that it's patriotic, backing would be nice in a patriotic print.

JenniKy ... oh please do show us some pics of what your applique in progress a la Muv!
    Oh yes GGal I would love to see some pics..I have never done the square in square ... and Quilt E ... I was so enthused with Muv's tutorial I ended up working on using her antique applique method and made a pillow for my grandson..instead.. Oh but I do need to get on those last three squares and get my dgd's quilt top completed and off to a longarm quilter. Also the next clue is up for my patriotic quilt so wow... I need to get real busy. Posting a picture of the pillow I made using Muv's Antique method and also this was my first attempt ever at making prairie points after watching like six different tutorials. Im real please with my result..and now want to make him a matching nap blanket.. Oh my more projects on my design board.

Have an awesome day!

JenniKy ... OMG that novelty fabric is priceless!!!!! Yea for you for jumping ship and doing something different and trying not one, but two new techniques! Sometimes we just need that break from what we are working on and switch it up. hhmmmm??? Guess maybe why we quilters have so many PUPpies?

Good for you and your Prairie Points. I've only done them as a trial of the technique and haven't had the "nerve" to go all the way for a finished project. I keep wondering if I'd get bored before I was done ... or if I could get them onto the quilt nice and evenly spread out. And I will confess, I have been contemplating them as part of my PC quilt.

Blog Entries
    QuiltE I would so urge you to go with the praire points they intimidated the heck out of me..but I just kept telling myself ..Im ready for this. I can do this and woot I did it. The novelty fabric is one of the items I purchased at a quilt shop near the National Quilt Museum in Kentucky. So much fun.
    Have an awesome day!

Quote Originally Posted by Jenniky View Post
    QuiltE I would so urge you to go with the praire points they intimidated the heck out of me..but I just kept telling myself ..Im ready for this. I can do this and woot I did it. The novelty fabric is one of the items I purchased at a quilt shop near the National Quilt Museum in Kentucky. So much fun.

Thanks JenniKy for the encouragement .... I think it's the boredom that will intimidate me more than the actually how to of doing them!! So many for a 100x100 quilt! We're not quite at the 1/2 way point, so I have lots of time to decide and with 2 blocks per week, it'll be just before Christmas or the New Year before I'll need to make up my mind. And too, it might be too much with the busy-ness of the scrappy mix for the main part of the top. I'll definitely be doing them sometime before too long. I'm just back from picking up my FWS from the LAQ, so am totally enamoured with it, right now!!!!

Page 9 of 54 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 ... LastLast