isolation challenge 2020

Old 03-22-2020, 05:23 AM

I used to always keep powdered milk on hand when the kids were young, and when I did a lot of baking. But since it is just me and the dog, I find it is better, for me anyway, to just keep a quart or even a couple pints on hand. It does get thrown out too often, but I found the powdered milk got caked solid before I could use even the smallest package. Oh, well, we get through this, and I think, be better for the experience. At least we have the internet.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-23-2020 at 03:53 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 03-22-2020, 02:14 PM

Well finished my purple peacocks today (yes, including the binding) so I cut up triangles for a self challenge, trimmed some 9 patches

Do you believe I made 32 of these out of just scrap from my stash? Just going to cut up some white to alternate and I have an Irish chain for...someone.

Attached Thumbnails 20200322_104001.jpg  

Last edited by Rff1010; 03-22-2020 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-22-2020, 03:58 PM

I got groceries early this am and bought extra staple items. I tend to buy 1/2 gallon sizes of milk, but did switch to gallons for now just to be able to stay away from the stores longer. I cleaned, did extra disinfecting with bleach which works on this bad virus, including my car, handle, steering wheel, shifter, as suggested somewhere I saw. I also made whoopie pies this afternoon and cooked pork in the crock pot for pulled pork sandwhiches. I did get the baby quilts I designed and cut and stitched yesterday sandwhiched, and organized my next few projects,all in all a good day. I am getting excited to get outside and start on the yard work, but got lots of snow to melt first, and am looking forward to spring cleaning, but got to wait for the woodstove to be done first, which usually isn't until mid to late April. I have always enjoyed being home, and often yurn to be home when I am at work, so I am really enjoying this time. And I love to bake as well as quilt, so am getting to do both which makes me happy.
Old 03-22-2020, 05:38 PM

Vasilisa your helper is adorable and looks a lot like my helper... here she is
Attached Thumbnails kitty-basket.jpg  
Old 03-23-2020, 12:30 AM

I am in Milan, Italy which is the centre of the Covid 19 virus area. Not getting much quilting done as my stress levels are too high. Just want to remind everyone not to take risks. If you go out of the house wear gloves and wash them on return. Keep at least 1 meter distance from others. Ask yourself "is my journey really necessary?" We have been cooped up at home for over 2 weeks and it will go on until 15th April.
Take care
Pippa
Old 03-23-2020, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by pippa View Post
I am in Milan, Italy which is the centre of the Covid 19 virus area. Not getting much quilting done as my stress levels are too high.
Pippa- oh Milan! What a beautiful city! My sister did year abroad in college and I went to visit over Easter break. Such joy wandering the streets. I sat up on top of Il Duomo (the main cathedral - you can go up on the roof) and wrote postcards while looking over the City.

I know things are rough right now - but Spring is in the air. You live in a special part of the world. Thank you for letting me visit some happy memories.
Rff
Old 03-23-2020, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltah Mama View Post
I have always enjoyed being home, and often yurn to be home when I am at work, so I am really enjoying this time. And I love to bake as well as quilt, so am getting to do both which makes me happy.
Kara, i was able to get outdoors the past two days and rake out some gardens and do some pruning before our expected 4-6 inches of snow tonight. Iím surprised you still have leftover snow on the ground.

I have worked full time all my life and just now getting to a semiretired stage in my life so I am enjoying being home. I can finally work on projects and hobbies that have been on the back burner for 40 years of my career. Enjoy this time of solitude and letís hope it is over in a couple of weeks.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:35 PM

Cozy Quilt Designs "Sewquester" Mystery Quilt Along:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a50dFy9DNHM
https://cozyquilt.com/Newsletters/Cu...SewQuester.htm

Laundry Basket Quiilts/ Quilting Window Mystery Quilt Along
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BieIyWjDu68
https://www.laundrybasketquilts.com/blog/page/2/
Old 03-24-2020, 01:57 AM

Pippa, you are absolutely right about taking precautions. I will take your advice to heart.

Wildyard, your kitty is adorable. Give her (or him?) some love from me.

I cannot boast on a finish yet, but I have progressed on a few projects: like "cutting-check, now to sew blocks" or "top-check, let's find some backing for it".
Old 03-27-2020, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Cheshirepat View Post
It will be interesting (not in a morbid way, I promise) to see how this thread might change over time. I feel here where I am, things are not being taken especially seriously *yet*. Schools are being dismissed, power companies are beginning to send notice that they will support customers throughout this period, but I have not been excused from work *yet* but am keen on limiting my exposure nonetheless. ...And it's not like I don't have a million or so UFO's to work - but I'm one of the people feeling emotionally stressed by all this, (I tend to worry about things over much, maybe care over much) and I'm finding my ability to channel energy into creative things fairly limited right now. Last night I watched part of Carmen - the Metropolitan Opera is streaming HD productions for free - and that brought me some joy. I'm going to use this time as an exercise in change...to try to focus more on feeding my soul rather than my anxiety. What I can create I'll post here. And I hope to be inspired by all the rest who do as well! Thanks sewingpup for the good idea! Sending supportive thoughts to those, like me, who feel the weight of the times!
dear cheshirepat, just read your post and am sending good thoughts (prayers) your way. Would love to see what you create during these challenging days! Truth is, we never know what this world holds in store for us - never have, never will. But for today, we have fabric, thread, scissors, rotary cutters and,hopefully a supply of new blades - so let us start up our machines and enjoy the moment as much as possible! Let the sewing begin! Cheshirepat, take care!