isolation challenge 2020

Old 03-11-2020, 09:48 AM

Default isolation challenge 2020

Hi Folks seeing as we all likely be limiting our travels and large group get-to-gethers for a bit here.....I am thinking maybe we can all work on getting our UFO's done.....I have my goods lined up....extra fabric...check!, extra thread...check!, extra working sewing machines...check!...extra batting....check! Lots of UFO's....check! if you feel like it...join in a post what you are working on during your "isolation time"....we will get through this!
Old 03-16-2020, 05:25 PM

I'm not really in "isolation" because I still have transports to do, but I will limit my time around people. Although I'm not too concerned, because I live in a rural area. I have plenty of supplies to work on projects. Today, I finished sandwiching/basting a donation quilt for our local Humane Society, which will be raffled off in December, have 5 more tops to sandwich/baste, and have started on one of the 5 today. I have 3 quilts ready to quilt, 5 with the binding on and just have to do the hand stitching. After these are done, I want to work on some smaller projects, using up smaller pieces of batting, which are becoming formidable. LOL

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-17-2020 at 01:56 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 03-17-2020, 12:14 AM

I'm not self quarantining....just being careful. And am mentally lining up the projects. Big one is organizing my scraps. I've been cutting cereal boxes into squares and wrapping fabric. I hope to turn my messy box into something useful!
Old 03-17-2020, 01:23 AM

I'm not self quarantining, but I don't leave the house a lot to begin with. I do have two app'ts this week if the facilities aren't closed and I'd like to make a quick trip to Hobby Lobby for fabric for new drapes. I went to dinner at my daughter's last evening as they closed all sit down restaurants. I will work on my Nightmare Before Christmas quilt for a new great grandson. I could start cutting for a QOV, too.
Old 03-17-2020, 02:16 AM

We are rural, so social distancing isn't a problem.
My goals include organizing my fabric storage. When I designed/built the house, I put shelves in my closet specifically for sewing, but still need an easy way to access and sort fabrics. I ordered clear plastic storage containers to help.

My recent projects are the Easy Does It Bags from the byannie.com site. I practice my new quilting skills on the 18x21 piece, then turn it into a bag for someone I love. Last night, I used painter's tape to make "guide lines" to sew, which was faster than drawing with washable marker.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:49 AM

Well, they have now closed the library and the YMCA, so I woke up this morning thinking of projects that I might work on. I have two scrap quilts that have been languishing due to lack of interest, so think I'll get those turned into quilts and out of my life.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:46 AM

I'm involved with packing to move, as I have been for too many weeks. My fabric & sewing machines are packed away, so I'm not sewing anything. I am working on 1 knit & 1 crochet project during my down times. I purposely kept out 1 of each so I'd have a big chance of finishing at least 1 before I move. I'm on the last 2 border rows on the large crochet project, so it should be completed before I move. Yippee! It is a crochet UFO, started more than 2 years ago.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:15 AM

It will be interesting (not in a morbid way, I promise) to see how this thread might change over time. I feel here where I am, things are not being taken especially seriously *yet*. Schools are being dismissed, power companies are beginning to send notice that they will support customers throughout this period, but I have not been excused from work *yet* but am keen on limiting my exposure nonetheless. ...And it's not like I don't have a million or so UFO's to work - but I'm one of the people feeling emotionally stressed by all this, (I tend to worry about things over much, maybe care over much) and I'm finding my ability to channel energy into creative things fairly limited right now. Last night I watched part of Carmen - the Metropolitan Opera is streaming HD productions for free - and that brought me some joy. I'm going to use this time as an exercise in change...to try to focus more on feeding my soul rather than my anxiety. What I can create I'll post here. And I hope to be inspired by all the rest who do as well! Thanks sewingpup for the good idea! Sending supportive thoughts to those, like me, who feel the weight of the times!
Old 03-17-2020, 09:20 AM

Here's my first finish - "Corona Cabin" - made with strings and 2.5" squares from my leftover square box
Attached Thumbnails corona-cabin.jpg  
Old 03-17-2020, 10:44 AM

Nice, Mkotch!

Rob