Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery >

Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery

Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery

Old 01-02-2021, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Now that we see the design, do we like it? I don't particularly... Don't care for the long "torpedoes" versus small sawtooth blocks. This is why I can't bring myself to buy any of her other mysteries in her Etsy shop. There is no way to know what you are getting. Wish I hadn't cut yet, but since I have (and made all the HSTs) I'll put something together that I can donate. Without the large borders on the outside, it should make a nice lap size quilt.
This is what I will be doing, today...slapping on a complementary border and calling it good. So glad I didn’t cut into Fabric A.
Old 01-02-2021, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Macybaby, your tipsy triangles are especially beautiful.

Watson, I like the lush intensity of your fabrics.

I paired up my step 2 triangles last night for sewing. I think I might replace my D for the rest of the quilt with a yellow, now that I see how it is used. My neutral D fabric doesn't have enough presence.
I think my D fabric was not a good choice. I originally had a gold and swapped out to a mauve. Bad move but, oh well!
Old 01-02-2021, 09:17 AM

I hope you will show us your quilt, Teen, even though you are less than thrilled with it!
Old 01-02-2021, 11:46 AM

I love seeing all the different combinations, and also love the discussions about what works and what doesn't, as that helps me when choosing colors for other projects.

My thread for my quilt showed up today, so tomorrow I hope to finish up the quilting and get it off the frame. I promised DH I'd spend some time with him today (I guess shopping this morning didn't count ) so I may not get to it this afternoon. He was great with letting me sew all day yesterday so I'm fine with this. Besides it's turning out to be a beautiful day so I'll enjoy the time out at the range with him.
Old 01-02-2021, 12:04 PM

Ok...I’ve put it off long enough today...chores done....I’m going to work on this project and create something worth looking at. Cover me...I’m going in...
Old 01-02-2021, 12:20 PM

Teen, I'm 'going in' soon, still haven't washed my dishes. That was a funny remark.

Valdalia, you were funny too, talking about our hint that we got that C was going to be the focus, I should have listened then. My C was my least favorite of A, B, and C, but the lightest, and the best yardage.

I made an error on my part 4 chevron, sewing my C and D in reverse positions. With C as the center, my error meant that the whole star was C, center and points together. And being a plaid, that was horrendous. So, not wanting to seam rip the chevrons, just decided to reverse the blocks and not have a star. Here's my center now. I also turned the 9patches.
Attached Thumbnails p1010179.jpg  
Old 01-02-2021, 12:26 PM

Teen, LOL! We've got your back!

givio, that looks great!
Old 01-02-2021, 02:17 PM

Somehow I missed that C was going to be the focus fabric.

Has anyone heard from Teen lately?

Watson
Old 01-02-2021, 06:04 PM

I’m afraid Teen went in but hasn’t come back out from working on creating something worth looking at... maybe we need to rescue her...but with her talent, I’m confident she has come up with something amazing.

I finished the medallion center today but used my fabric A as the centerpiece hoping it will tie in when I add the outer borders.
Attached Thumbnails 6051b3d1-6e64-424d-af8e-095d683b7654.jpeg  
Old 01-02-2021, 06:05 PM

Watson, Early on it was Teen's guess that C was the focus fabric.... It wasn't in the instructions or clues...

Good choice, jmoore. Looks good that way.