Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery >

Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery

Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery

Old 12-05-2020, 01:08 PM

Teen, Your first option looks good. :-) If you come up for breath from your swimming, show us what else you find!
Old 12-05-2020, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Shazziny, welcome and what great fabrics you have to use! I love the blue poppies on the bottom right! May I say one thing tho? Your second fabric from the left is going to blend in with your fabric A. They are almost identical in color, scale and design. They will look like the same fabric.
Thank you SBG. I thought of that too but the A fabric will only be the border so they won't get a chance to blend. If fabric C comes up against the border I will add a contrasting inner border.
Shazzi
Old 12-05-2020, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Sharongn View Post
Shazzi, great selection of fabrics!
Thanks!! I like them too. I spent four days obsessively searching my stash and changing fabrics around until i was satisfied.
Picking fabrics is actually my favorite part of quilting.
Old 12-05-2020, 01:44 PM

[QUOTE=givio;8439825]shannizy, Welcome to Quilting Board! What an amazing first post you have made! :-) I think your fabrics are spot on for the mystery. I can see why you want to wait to see what the pattern would be as your fabrics are a real treat. You won't want to 'waste' them on a pattern you are not crazy about.

Thanks for the welcome. You are exactly right about my not wanting to "waste" my fabrics because I like them so much. Especially the border fabric (A) which I have been saving for something special.
Old 12-05-2020, 02:13 PM

shazziny, My Fabric A is not enough, but I really like it, and, like you, I've been saving it awhile. I thought the same as you-- I will just add an inner border (or outer border) to bring it up to the size I want. I'll need to wait to see which fabric I'll add. I'm going to cut the length required, but the width will be smaller than specified.
Old 12-05-2020, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by shazziny View Post
Thank you SBG. I thought of that too but the A fabric will only be the border so they won't get a chance to blend. If fabric C comes up against the border I will add a contrasting inner border.
Shazzi
The description for fabric A is "Fabric A, Main/Border Fabric, Medium to Large-Scale, Multi-Colored, Medium-Toned Print, includes Outside Border" which I think means that it will be a featured fabric within the quilt, as well as a border.
Old 12-05-2020, 05:10 PM

shazziny, welcome! I love the color palette you're working with. Like you, my favorite part of quilting is probably picking the fabrics. So many endless possibilities to mix and match!

Teen, that Fabric A is gorgeous. Although, I think you may be running into the same thing I am with Fabric B and C coming across more tone-on-tone than multi-colored. I'm finding it hard to pick out a really busy multi-color print because it feels like it's going to compete and draw attention away from the Fabric A. I've got multiple options I'd be fine with for all my fabrics except C, I just can't find one I'm 100% happy with the look of (I guess because we don't know exactly how much it's supposed to stand out/compete with A)
Old 12-05-2020, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by platyhiker View Post
The description for fabric A is "Fabric A, Main/Border Fabric, Medium to Large-Scale, Multi-Colored, Medium-Toned Print, includes Outside Border" which I think means that it will be a featured fabric within the quilt, as well as a border.
Thank you Platyhiker for pointing that out. But the cutting instructions only seem to be for the border. Anyway, I am probably not going to start cutting my fabrics until I see enough clues to know what the pattern is. I can always make substitutions from my stash.
Old 12-05-2020, 05:20 PM

Teen, I like your fabric choices. I like all of the fabric so far.

I’m still debating, on what I want to do fabric wise. The project is ismall enough for me to complete in a day or two.
Old 12-06-2020, 07:55 AM

I found my A, though it's not medium toned. Brights on black and a four yard length, so if I don't like this quilt I have enough to do another. It has lots of colors for coordinating which the piece I thought I wanted didn't. I'd love a green tropical leaf print for B, but I know I don't have any. I have a lot of Northcutt blenders to chose from for C-F. Fun!!!