Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2013 Fabric Moratorium (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2013-fabric-moratorium-t209802.html)

nancia 04-09-2013 01:16 PM

what a wonderful quilt! love the 3-d flowers and the candy binding!! so festive and fun!!

Pat625 04-09-2013 06:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My daughter's prom dress she has been talking about for years! Camo and hunter orange---AND all but some lining made from [ATTACH=CONFIG]407039[/ATTACH]stash!!

Jennie and Me 04-09-2013 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by nancia (Post 5983327)
has anyone seen my wagon? i fell off so long ago, i'm not sure i even remember what color it is! i'm pretty sure it has wheels. ya know, as soon as i said i won't buy fabric i went into panic mode! it's like a huge anxiety attack-- like-- i will run out of stash between now and next january! oh, please! if i live to 101 i will still have enough for my kids to inherit! most of it will probably be the fabric i was going to make something for them out of anyway. i can't go on a moratorium, i'm sorry. it has the reverse effect, making me driven to buy! all i can do is stay out of joann's, and delete all the e-mails from retail sources, and stay away from garage sales. this means i have turned into a hermit!! i'm afraid to leave the house, there's fabric out there and it's calling my name! i am no longer on the moratorium. now maybe i can stop buying fabric! am i the only one?

This is me also! I am definitely off the wagon. Just couln't resist the fabric that I bought...it called to me and begged me to take it home with me. Plus the fabric from E-Bay that I just had to have for pillowcases for the grandkids. Oh woe is me! Maybe I'll do better next year! In the mean time I am going to try to use up as much of my stash that I can. Oh, who am I kidding...even if I live another 40 years I couldn't possibly use up all of my fabric unless I sewed 24/7 which we know won't happen.

DustysMomma 04-10-2013 03:46 AM

Did I mention I went & bought 3 yards of orange fabric Monday night? Oh I could have gotten by with a yard, but no, that's not the way I do things! I must have extra of everything for my stash for later. At least I know the orange will be used. The original purchase reason is as a background fabric for my batiks for the side runner swap. I'm thinking some of it might end up in a table runner for my boyfriend's conference room table, since a recent table runner swap partner sent me some leftovers from the runner she made for my bar, in my requested orange & blue. Then the leftovers will live in my stash. :)

SandyinZ4 04-10-2013 06:43 AM

Deedum, The quilt is pretty and I agree with Nacia about the 3-D flowers. Nice touch. Pat625, great prom dress and will mean much more to your daughter than a store-bought one. I have been going through my stash a little and cutting 1.25 strips for my leader/enders quilt that is in progress. Tomorrow, it will begin the machine quilting on baby quilt for nephew who is a first time new daddy at age 44. Yikes. He is a happy guy and I am sure happy for him but can't help but think that when his daughter is 20 he will be just a few years younger than I am now. As I look through my stash, I think, like many of you, that I have enough fabric to keep me sewing for many years! Hope I live a long time! :-)

Emma S 04-10-2013 08:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thought I would show you guys my stash buster. Just finished my March ufo and used strips of stash for the back, not a single new piece of fabric.

Pat625 04-10-2013 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Emma S (Post 5991107)
Thought I would show you guys my stash buster. Just finished my March ufo and used strips of stash for the back, not a single new piece of fabric.

Love the strips!! I have a box full of of 2 1/2 strips of different lengths....this would work real well for them!

Coloradowest 04-11-2013 05:23 PM

April, I went off the wagon and bought 4 yards of material. I am still shocked at the prices Walmart now has on material. $8.77 a yard. Plus taxes. Be very thankful for your stashes. I am. What I bought was deer panels to go in the center of quilts. I have material to, I am sure, make each one into a quilt. Usually I only ever have one chance to get this type of material. Check out clerk asked me if I was making quilts with it. She thought it was gorgious. BUT what gets me is the brand/company put thier name on lower corner of the panel. REAL TREE. About 4 inches long. So I will loose the bottom 2 inches of the panel to cut it off. Then on closer looked real tree is printed smaller in the tree branches one place but match colors and does not show up bad. I am so discussed to find that also.

At material prices now it is going to really cost to make a quilt. Us elderly/low income are not going to be buying material at those prices. I know the quilt store material prices are higher. I do not like brands on the material. This one the only animal print I saw. I donot buy dogs or horses. Deer, elk , moose, trout, bear and such. I will have to figure quilt material at replacement costs.

My quilt top I am working on is almost now done. Just the strip acrossed each end. Sorry, I just could not pass up those deer. Couldnot afford it really.

Pat625 04-12-2013 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Coloradowest (Post 5994555)
April, I went off the wagon and bought 4 yards of material. I am still shocked at the prices Walmart now has on material. $8.77 a yard. Plus taxes. Be very thankful for your stashes. I am. What I bought was deer panels to go in the center of quilts. I have material to, I am sure, make each one into a quilt. Usually I only ever have one chance to get this type of material. Check out clerk asked me if I was making quilts with it. She thought it was gorgious. BUT what gets me is the brand/company put thier name on lower corner of the panel. REAL TREE. About 4 inches long. So I will loose the bottom 2 inches of the panel to cut it off. Then on closer looked real tree is printed smaller in the tree branches one place but match colors and does not show up bad. I am so discussed to find that also.

At material prices now it is going to really cost to make a quilt. Us elderly/low income are not going to be buying material at those prices. I know the quilt store material prices are higher. I do not like brands on the material. This one the only animal print I saw. I donot buy dogs or horses. Deer, elk , moose, trout, bear and such. I will have to figure quilt material at replacement costs.

My quilt top I am working on is almost now done. Just the strip acrossed each end. Sorry, I just could not pass up those deer. Couldnot afford it really.

I just made my daughter's prom dress using Realtree..I wouldn't remove or try to hide the name, because it is a sign of a designer camo....if there can be one...All the kids want Realtree where I live....

PaperPrincess 04-12-2013 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Pat625 (Post 5995626)
I just made my daughter's prom dress using Realtree..I wouldn't remove or try to hide the name, because it is a sign of a designer camo....if there can be one...All the kids want Realtree where I live....

Love her dress!! And yes, the "Real Tree" logo is THE designer label of outdoor fabric!