Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2015 Monthly Color and Design Challenge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2015-monthly-color-design-challenge-t258981.html)

playswithcolor 12-31-2014 09:32 AM

2015 Monthly Color and Design Challenge

Hello QB members,

A few years ago I purchased the book - Quilt Challenge "what if" ideas for color and design, by Sharyn Craig and Pamela Mostek. I recently retired and now is the time to dive into it and expand my creativity.
I would like to invite you to join me. The QB has approved this challenge.

Please note that due to copyright laws, everyone who participates must acquire their own legal copy of the book. There can be no sharing of any part of the book among participants. This includes quotes, paraphrasing, and no discussion, chat, emailing or private messaging that would enable a person to participate without having the book.

Challenge Details:

In January we will begin with the first challenge in the book- Quilt challenge "what if " ideas for color and design. Refer to Challenge #1 on pages 8 & 9 for details.

1. Select a fabric similar in color and value to the challenge fabric. Add whatever fabrics you wish.

2. Use the required block and fabric somewhere in your quilt. The idea is to take the block and make it your own. Modification of the block is encouraged.

3.Your challenge project can be any size. This is your challenge, so make it work for you. I plan to make "Warm hug" size quilts for children and seniors.

4. At the end of the month post a photo of your quilt or work in progress for all of us to enjoy and learn from.

As we progress, the challenge participants will decide to continue with challenges in the book, modify them or create our own. Maybe we could use the QB Live Chat to do this? We could set a date and time to meet in the Live Chat to decide on subsequent challenges ? Example: meet in the Live Chat on the 4th Monday of the month at 9 pm EST. Day and time can be selected by challenge participants. Each months challenge details will also be posted in this thread.

Life gets in the way of quilting sometimes. Feel free to join in the challenges when you are able. Do not feel obligated to participate in every challenge.

Please contact me by PM with any questions you have about this challenge.

playswithcolor

AngeliaNR 12-31-2014 03:34 PM

I ordered the book today!

kaelynangelfoot 01-01-2015 09:29 AM

This looks like so much fun! I've added the book to my wishlist but will not be able to particpate this year due to UFOs, QALs, and other complications. I will follow eagerly though and hope that this continues into next year or that I can come up with some time later in the year.

IQuiltnFL 01-02-2015 05:26 AM

Found the book, I'll look it over and see how it goes. It's not like I need a new project for 2015....I'm swimming in them but this could be a great way to push myself along. Thanks for the idea.

Sheepshed 01-02-2015 05:05 PM

Looks like an interesting book.. I googled *Sharyn Craig Amazon* and found the author was generous enough to include pages 8-12 and front covr and back cover, so now that I know the color and block.. can debate what to do on that concept... I still think I want to have the book if I can find it at Joanns with a coupon... , looks like a super good book....

carolaug 01-02-2015 05:56 PM

Barnes and Noble has a copy online for $5.95

$5.95
maggiemaysbooks
Seller since 2008
Feedback rating:
(93)

Condition: New
New Book. Fast Shipping!!
Ships from: Deming, WA
Usually ships in 1-2 business days
  • Canadian
  • International
  • Standard, 48 States
  • Standard (AK, HI)
  • Express, 4
  • 8 States
  • Express (AK, HI)

meanmom 01-02-2015 06:18 PM

? Is this color challenge making a block each month from a certain color or a whole quilt?Looks interesting. I just ordered the book. I might be in.

playswithcolor 01-03-2015 05:25 PM

There will be monthly challenges. You may make what ever size project you wish. Block size is also up to you.
Feel free to participate when you are able.

Once people are "in", we can decide on the challenge for February. Options are to continue using challenges from the book, modifying them or creating our own. The end of the month is a goal, not a set in stone deadline for your project. This is supposed to be fun. Please post your project when ever you get it completed.

zozee 01-03-2015 05:56 PM

So the first challenge begins in February, is that correct?

kristijoy 01-03-2015 06:22 PM

I think the first challenge was in January at the beginning of the book...

I like the idea...it sounds like so much fun! And I really really really want to do a challenge with you all. So I'm thinking about it. I'm headed into town tomorrow to the Quilt Store...maybe I'll get some inspiration. Not sure though, if I could get a whole quilt done in a month though!