Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2019 Fabric Moratorium (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2019-fabric-moratorium-t301821.html)

ckcowl 05-25-2019 03:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I put together a school ( kindergarten class) quilt for their end of year raffle. The kids colored blocks, a T-shirt was sent along, everything else came out of my stash. I used scrap strips for sashing, about 3/4 yard for the yellow star border, then had 3 yards of 108” wide Color Splash backing- that had been hanging around for quite some time waiting for the perfect project. This was that perfect project. I used some of it for borders And used it for the backing. So, a bit more gone from the shelves. Yea!
i think I still have 4-5 wide backs to put to use and I’m working on a queen size Double Irish Stars quilt all from my stash.

joe'smom 05-25-2019 06:55 AM

ckcowl, what a wonderful quilt and great use of stash!

oksewglad 05-25-2019 06:59 AM

Very pretty LindaJane...looks like a bouquet of spring flowers! What type of loom did you use? A friend of mine gave me a similar rug, but made from old blue flannel shirts. A great rug in front of my kitchen sink.

Perfect fabrics for the KG quilt, ckcowl...Hope it brings in some good $.

LindaJane 05-25-2019 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad (Post 8257650)
Very pretty LindaJane...looks like a bouquet of spring flowers! What type of loom did you use? A friend of mine gave me a similar rug, but made from old blue flannel shirts. A great rug in front of my kitchen sink.

It isn't a loom but more like a frame. The book is rugs from rags by country threads. https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....4,203,200_.jpg

Irishrose2 05-25-2019 07:50 AM

Love the Color Splash fabric, ckcowl. Your quilt is darling. A kdgn parent will want it, for sure.

petthefabric 05-25-2019 01:03 PM

Love the rag rug idea. Prints don't matter.

Well, I bought fabric this week. Have a pattern/design plan and checked my stash. Need specific colors/values for a large wall hanging for my all-purpose room. have been using stash for charity quilts for 2 yrs now and have used hundreds of yards. So I treated myself. That was Tuesday, Wednesday washed all fabric, Thursday started the dying/bleaching process.

Sounds like another excuse. This is a great improvement. Like reducing 3packs/day to 1/2 pack/day. And I'm still decreasing my stash, not just replacing.

All right, I probably shouldn't need more fabric to start a new quilt. Have plenty to make hundreds of quilts. Excusses.......excusses. Need a hand up.....

Pearl40 05-25-2019 01:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I went to a Quilt Show last weekend but only bought half metre of fabric.

Have used fabric from [ATTACH=CONFIG]613247[/ATTACH]my stash to make this.

juliasb 05-25-2019 02:05 PM

My stash bash

2 Attachment(s)
I did my annual "Stash Bash" in Feb. I went through every piece of fabric in my stash. I touched it and refolded it then put it in order by color from dark (on the bottom) to light on the top of each stack. I did really really well about not buying any new fabrics until about a month ago and I discovered a new spot to buy nice fabrics on line and I went out the window. I did my best to get a handle on things by taking as much as I could reach out of the primary cabinet and pulled a variety of pieces just to play with. That hasn't helped. I have another order of fabric that should arrive on Monday. At least I am not putting it back into my stash right now. I am looking to make a quilt out of it as soon as I finish a couple projects that are out and being worked on right now. Gosh it feels great to be back here. I am trying to get back where I need to be. My wallet is beginning to hurt. Besides I am really out of space. Julia

elly66 05-26-2019 05:38 AM

petthefabric here's a hand back up on the wagon though it sounds like you're using the fabric quickly and you checked your stash first so I don't think it counts anyways.

Pearl40 that is beautiful. Lovely colors.

juliesb love the idea of your stash bash. Been known to go through stash when I'm feeling a weakening of resolve to only buy fabric for project I'm working on.

I moved this past year and have rearranged my quilt room several times so have "touched" a lot of my stash. Perhaps I should resolve to go through and refold stash every 6 months or so.It would be a reminder of what I have and that I need to use it.

Iceblossom 05-26-2019 06:49 AM

Well, as I have been slicing and dicing my Wonky Bright stuff I was getting lower and lower on the bag of scraps. I realized I needed more fabric sooner rather than later so it would be mixed in with the others and stopped by Walmart. Picked up a pack of 5-6 fat quarters from the same time period but in yellow (I was actually hoping for orange) on sale for $3, 2 more in different colors from the same time period as my scraps also on mark-down for $0.50 each, and even bought one for the high price of $0.97! One of my cardinal rules of life is "never go to Walmart on a Saturday" and now I am reminded why...

So while I did buy fabric it is for this specific project and at least I was my usual cheap self.