Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2020 Fabric Moratorium (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2020-fabric-moratorium-t308855.html)

oksewglad 11-08-2020 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Conchalea (Post 8431251)
Thanks, Retired! Yes, K & I have been working through many UFOs. She's now an accomplished quilter & binder & loves both. She's also practicing her FMQ & is pretty good at it. I've made her practice pieces & she is also using panels for FMQ. I think she's a quilting junkie now.

Oh you wonderful enabler!

Teen 11-13-2020 01:30 PM

I had to buy backing for a quilt...I had nothIng to match...however, I found some yardage for $6/yd on-line so I don’t feel too bad about it. Also, I bought another 40/yd roll of batting. I ran out this summer and was just going to buy “by project” but I really like having that available...and it was 1/2 off.. Other than that, staying true to moratorium as we enter holiday season and close out our year.. goodness...it’s hard to believe this challenging year is almost over.

oksewglad 11-13-2020 05:12 PM

I really like having the batting by the roll, too. I then piece the cutoffs for another quilt. No one can tell that it is pieced. What batting do you use, Teen?

Teen 11-13-2020 06:49 PM

I so the same, ok. I use Warm & White mostly but once in awhile I’ll buy Quilters Dream 80/20 or wool if I want the loft.

oksewglad 11-13-2020 07:17 PM

I get the QD 80/20 from my boss at LQS. Really like it. I have 2 3 yard pieces of wool that I haven't tapped into. I'm waiting for a special quilt to use them in.

joe'smom 11-14-2020 10:27 AM

5 Attachment(s)
These are the latest quilts I've kitted up, from FQ bundles supplemented by stash. I plan to keep 'kitting' while I do the Bonnie mystery as a leader/ender project (we'll see how long that lasts). The first is a pattern called 'Field Greens' and the last is a Cluck Cluck Sew pattern called 'Vintage.'

Iceblossom 11-14-2020 10:37 AM

Beautiful stuff, Joe'smom! Nice work and good stash use on all but I really like the color shifts in the 4th one. I'm so rigid I'm really trying to loosen up to actually make things like that instead of just appreciate them.

Am still not feeling any huge urges to buy new fabric, but I am going to order my "normal" 3 yards of black for the next year. That silly little raggedy end was all I had, but it got me through the year.

As a reminder to me and for the newer members, we have birthday exemptions and then our behavior from Black Friday to New Year is actually not covered by the moratorium? The two yards I did buy for the round robin were fair use but since I don't really have anything else to confess, will consider it a birthday exemption. I'm so cheap it did feel deliciously wicked to pay full price!

This year I switched from Kona Cotton to AMB for my solids. There are some differences, I wouldn't say the AMB is really lighter but it feels/handles silkier. The selvedges on both the white and the black are quite large, about an inch and so I have to watch that while cutting, but the usable width is still reasonable.
http://www.clothworks.com/AMB

oksewglad 11-14-2020 10:51 AM

OH thanks for posting joe'smom! My fav is the simple large block quilt. Great use of fabrics all brought together with the cornerstones and border. What size are your large squares if I may ask?

Iceb, we have used Kona, AMB, Bella solids and Michael Miller at the LQS. I can always tell when I cut MM fabrics for a customer...it is so silky. All of them are great. Primitive Muslin also has a silky fabric, but it is not solid.

joe'smom 11-14-2020 11:05 AM

oksewglad, those are 9.5 in. squares, and the cornerstones are 1.5 in.

petthefabric 11-14-2020 11:51 AM

joesmom, my fave is the first one. the secondary angles and bits of triangle are unique.