Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2020 Fabric Moratorium (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2020-fabric-moratorium-t308855.html)

Iceblossom 04-26-2020 12:27 PM

Nice top, Cattitude! I like it just the way you did it. I went over and saw Bonnie's, I think your rainbow gives it a lot more life.

I also like the way the setting triangles make a definite end/edge. Your eye sort of runs over the rest of it but says "ok, can stop here!".

oksewglad 04-26-2020 12:37 PM

What I noticed was, for the most part, the warm color small squares run vertically and cool run horizontally. Nicely done, Cattitude/

retiredteacher09 04-26-2020 04:23 PM

Wonderful top, Cattitude!

Irishrose2 04-26-2020 04:29 PM

An excellent colorful top, Cattitude.
My LQS is opening this week and I don't need anything. Limited hours, 4 people in the store at a time, mandatory masks and they well be sanitizing your debit card. Restrictive, but it's a start. The one I need to open is a computer repair - my favorite monitor is ailing.

Iceblossom 04-28-2020 09:03 AM

Due to another thread, I am owning up to my "unfinished tops that aren't quite quilts" today and I made my first album of pictures connected to my profile.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums20314.html

Notice: I'm not joining the UFO challenge, just trying to keep myself on track.

Realistically, I only see myself getting the last year's Confetti and Wonky Bright done in the near future. I'll be able to do the current Bunny Star project too. I might be able to do something really basic with the serpentine stitch on the Minions and Cherry Goose this year too.

But I'm in the group to use up fabric, not to finish quilts!

Do any of the rest of you have albums? I've seen them mentioned but today was my first day to find out about them.

WMUTeach 04-28-2020 04:10 PM

Ice, you have a beautiful collection of UFO's. Just whittle away at them as you can.The group does not put pressure on you. I am in the UFO group and some months I have one or two finishes, but other months nothing. I am doing better with the fabric moratorium group. Many of my UFO's are finished with fabric from my stash, so they count in both groups. Keep on, and reduce your number of UFOs and stash in your own way. We all love to cheer when someone gets a finish!

oksewglad 04-29-2020 06:59 AM

A nice collection of flimsies, Ice. I'm like WMUTeach with flimsies to finish and fabric to use up, and not always in that order! Recently I finished a UFO flimsy and felt good about it, but not good enough to find backing to really finish it. It's waiting for just the right mate (fabric), haha! Meanwhile I'm creating another small quilt from stash and dreaming about what I will use for backing, so this one will be seen through to the end.

Have a good day everyone.

Cattitude 04-30-2020 05:49 AM

Placed an order today. 7m of 4 different solids and 3m of prints. All will go towards 5 different projects using stash so I feel OK about it.

A little torn on this Moratorium thing.....I am learning a lot about my buying habits by working through my stash. On the other hand I miss the excitement of going to a LQS or online shop and picking up something just because. I am not a shopper otherwise, just quilt fabric! Staying firm for now!

Iceblossom 04-30-2020 07:53 AM

The fabric moratorium is a growing and changing (often challenging!) thing for each of us, Cattitude. Collecting fabric is not a bad thing, but then it should be cherished and curated and treated as a collection and not in forgotten heaps and piles :p I have friends with entire basements or storage units of fabric, some are like shops and some are like hoarders, and I was getting somewhere closer to the hoarders.

I still love textiles. I still covet textiles. I still see things all the time that tempt me, so one thing I do is not tempt myself too much. I don't shop as a hobby and I don't want regular emails enticing me to buy things, I do get one a week from equilter, some times I look and other times i don't.

It really took the diagnosis of my eye condition and that no, I really wasn't going to be able to use up all this fabric while I still had eyesight remaining that made me get serious about reducing my stash and therefore, using my stash. To many, I still have a huge stash because to them I do, to others not so much. I'm aware though that it is maybe 1/4th of what it used to be...

I had to ban myself from physical fabric shops maybe 10 years ago or so... and try to only go in when I need something. It's sort of like fabric lock down! But I still buy fabrics from the thrift store, thrift store shopping is one of my hobbies and I'm sadly missing it, even Goodwill is "closed for the duration" in Seattle. I have several things I look for, fabric is only one of them. The thrill of the hunt and how cheap the deal are part of the attraction, it's just not the same thing for me shelling out hundreds of dollars as it is with "all that for less than $20!".

This is my 2nd year in the Moratorium, it helps me be mindful of my purchases by owning up to what I get and do I want to use it or do I just want to acquire it. Hubby has a hard time with the "but it's such a good deal" sort of thing, we don't drink soda but one of the markets had the 2 litres of name brands for 0.33 each, and he was so tempted just to buy $20 worth and take them to work to give to people because it was such a good deal. But he's learning too -- sometimes it's a better deal for someone else than it is for us.

Motorcyclemad 04-30-2020 11:53 AM

Hi, everybody.
I haven't been able to post for a while, but it looks like you guys are keeping up the fight without me. Plus, we have gotten a few new joiners. Yay! https://cdn.quiltingboard.com/images...es/thumbup.png

I also got a couple of tops done about 6 weeks ago along with some pillowcases to go with my mom's birthday quilt. The cases were out of the remainder of the border fabric. Thank God, she asked for them before I got that cut up. https://cdn.quiltingboard.com/images...s/rolleyes.png

I also managed to get a few things crochetted up for charity and some lessons.