Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2020 UFO Challenge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2020-ufo-challenge-t308972.html)

sewbizgirl 04-14-2020 07:37 AM

Thank you, everyone... we are among the lucky ones.

rryder 04-14-2020 08:44 AM

Yikes, Sewbiz! I'm glad you're okay!

Rob

oksewglad 04-14-2020 03:09 PM

Not completely finished, but got a queen sized UFO flimsy finished today. Ready to start another. A nice break from mask making.

retiredteacher09 04-14-2020 04:10 PM

sewbizgirl: Happy you are safe but definitely sad about all of the people that lost homes and/or lives. It was heartbreaking to see the damage.

Way to go oksewglad!

Teen 04-14-2020 06:24 PM

Prayers were lifted for you, Sewbiz, as I watched your state get hammered...My mother and sisters are in the South (Georgia) so we were up most the night texting and watching weather channel. Pretty scary stuff. So glad all ok with you and my heart breaks for those less fortunate.

Oksewglad...go girl!

sewbizgirl 04-14-2020 09:35 PM

Thank you everyone. Your prayers were heard!

Rff1010 04-15-2020 03:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Tldr: making progress on pieced back and I get philosophical about fabric.

I had to UFO this quilt for a week. I finished the front and am working on a pieced back which a YouTuber I enjoy calls The AfterQuilt. The idea is a pure improv exercise that you use up your scraps. I got a few blocks created and was then getting frustrated with how to put these crazy sized blocks together. I knew it needed a time out and my brain needed a break so I put it away for a week or so. Took it out again last night and was surprised that the solution was right there in front of me. Bing-bing-Bing. And its almost done. Just need to add the rest of the large pieces to bring it to size.

It just goes to show me, sometimes you a break from that project. Your brain is tired. Let it sit over here for a bit and you will see the answers to your questions....later.

The second thing that has surprised me with this project is how much fabric there was in the scrap pile once I sewed it all together! Its almost 2\3 of the top itself. I'm not one of those crazy crumb quilters so this is not tiny pieces. Some strips from this project and others from scrap bin in the same color family. Loose ends. Loose blocks. Some unused fabric.

Not just about the.money because it took time to sew it all together and we all know time is money. But each piece was an opportunity. I chose what to make of each opportunity. Food for thought. Hopefully this will finish this soon. All of this.

(Tldr means "too long didn't read")

joe'smom 04-15-2020 07:18 AM

Rff1010, 'Tldr' is a new one on me (but your post definitely wasn't that). Your quilt on the right looks like an abstract farm landscape to me. Thanks for sharing your observations and congratulations on finishing up your tops!

Krisb 04-15-2020 06:30 PM

Well, have a working machine again. It’s the Eversewn, so it isn’t getting a good cleaning until sewing machine guy is available to get the face plate screw unstuck. 200 masks are done and my scrap bin has been cut into usable pieces and put away. It is time to semi-finish a UFO. First up is the fractured sapphire star. Only one corner to figure out, then sew the borders, layer and quilt, and sew the binding to the wrong side. Will be leaving the binding to hand sew while the machines are in the shop. Then finish quilting MoonGlow and sew the binding to the back. Then finish the hexies borders on Split Rock Lighthouse Ombre, quilt it and sew the binding to the back. And then, layer and quilt Amazon Star. Those four should certainly keep me busy until the sewing machines are back, if not longer.

retiredteacher09 04-15-2020 07:35 PM

Rff1010: Very pretty. I follow that Youtuber also so I knew what you were talking about. :)

Krisb: Sounds like you have a great plan to get things accomplished while your machines are getting some mechanical love. Congratulations on 200 masks.