Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Barbara Brackman's "Stars in Her Crown" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/barbara-brackmans-stars-her-crown-t302054.html)

costumegirl 09-08-2019 05:27 PM

I did manage to get a block completed this week for the second set that I need to make the finished quilt size larger. I really do want to get this project done!! I have quite a few projects that need to be completed for the holidays so I'm hoping to get "Stars in Her Crown" completed soon :)

I tried posting my pic of Block 3 Princess Alice but for some reason I'm having difficulty doing so - I will try again tomorrow.

Does anyone else have any blocks to share? It would be great to see all the terrific fabric choices and creativity that has been done with these blocks! :)

costumegirl 09-09-2019 04:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my second Block #3 Princess Alice - hope this pic will work :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]617241[/ATTACH]

Yeah it worked!! whew!! - I don't know what I was doing wrong last night to get that pic posted!

It may be difficult to see in this pic but the light pinwheel pieces in the center have wiggly strings of dots and I had a heck of a time trying to fussy cut them so that for all four pieces they flowed horizontally towards the point. I didn't notice the first time I cut and the center looked too chaotic with strings of dots going in different directions - :shock: :eek: - yuk!! too messy so back to fiddling, rotating around and cutting - finally I was happier with the placement.

Has anyone got any hints on how to make fussy cutting easier when paper piecing? It took me awhile to get it right - just couldn't get my focus into it and kept doing it backwards ........
....LOL like last night trying to post the pic - just a silly mistake :p

zozee 09-10-2019 05:40 AM

Deb--I had to look very closely to see the strings of dots, and I guess since the dots are in totally straight lines, it doesn't strike me as a directional print. But then again, I'm not "up close and personal" with it like you have been. I certainly understand how, once you "see" something that bothers you, you can't "unsee" it till you've fixed it.

One thing that bothers me is having a piece that ends up looking like it has two eyeballs. Those eyeballs follow me and I have to get rid of them!

costumegirl 09-10-2019 06:28 AM

ZoZee - :D You made me LOL with your comment - That's very funny! I totally can relate to what you mean!

costumegirl 09-12-2019 04:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I was able to get another block done inbetween errands and taking our senior relatives to their medical appointments these past few days. Sometimes I'm amazed that if I get a chance to work at cutting out pieces or sew at the machine for even just 10 or 15 min bursts I can accomplish something! I am not a very fast sewer and find it takes me longer than some of my quick sewing friends and I was happy to get this block done!

Here is my second Block #4 Affie, Duke of Saxe-Coburg:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]617322[/ATTACH]

I found that I was feeling tired about my fabrics for this project and wanted to add a little more greenish-blue highlights for the small arrows so I fussy cut pieces from a "stripey" fabric that had variations of the fabrics that I had used.
Here is the fabric:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]617323[/ATTACH]

It was a bit of a challenge to get precisely the same look for all eight pieces from the stripes and I did waste a lot by doing this - the part where I cut from is full of snips and holes. When I was rushing during one of my 10 minute bursts I accidently cut one of the pieces in half afer I had sewn it :shock: :mad: and it was very frustrating! LOL - That saying about "Keep Calm, Get the Ripper & Try Again" kept going through my head and then I had to find a similar section in the fabric to cut another :p Oh well ......that's what I get for rushing in a 10 minute burst! ;)

costumegirl 10-08-2019 11:30 AM

It has been very busy with our senior relatives! My Aunt who turns 99 on Oct 14 fell twice in 1 week in September!! With two ambulance trips to the hospital it has been a lot of hand holding and comforting these past few weeks! Both times the staff in emergency were great and she had every possible test, xray and scan done - amazingly all was clear & there were no fractures, strokes or bleeds! She was so lucky that she didn't have any broken bones!! She did however have a serious Urethral Tract Infection (UTI) which can cause lots of problems in seniors including loss of balance.
After a few rounds of antibiotics she is back to her old self and is doing really well. Yesterday we had a "Fall Assessment" done and she passed with flying colors and with a few adjustments to her walker and an added bedrail to her bed she will be able to continue to live in the independent retirement home that she is at. We are so glad that she has survived this trauma and all is ok! She is doing exceptionally well for her age and will have a happy family celebration for her Birthday!

Now it is October! Time has just zipped by!!

costumegirl 10-08-2019 11:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my second Block#5 Lenchen, Princess Helena:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]618324[/ATTACH]

This block was definitely done in a rush and as I look at it now there are a few points that aren't matching up so it will need a few adjustments.

In the next few days I'm hoping to lay out the blocks and determine whether to use the original plan of rows or to possibly put them on point. I think I am favoring "on point" but will wait till I take pics.

Anyone have any of these blocks to share? Would love to see them!!

costumegirl 01-04-2020 07:08 AM

Hope everyone is having a good beginning to the New Year! Wishing you all a terrific 2020 with lots of fun projects!

I did a few posts right after Christmas but it seems that those days I posted have disappeared with the new format change over. LOL As soon as I can figure out how to post pics I will post them. Change can be good in the end but it is a big learning curve for my computer illiterate brain. Please be patient with my lack of computer finesse.

If you have any fabric choices or blocks to share please jump in and show us!