Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunter-2020-2021-winter-mystery-grassy-creek-t312961.html)

sewingpup 11-01-2020 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe (Post 8429272)
Dear Fellow Quilters,
I clicked on Bonnie's link that asked me to download some sort of a program. Now remember that I was 16 years old the very first time I heard the word computer. So I downloaded this program. It totally erased my access to this board and many, maybe all of the other boards, that I am on. (chickens, beekeeping, etc.) I am sooooo unhappy. Now how do I fix this. My computer wiz kid joined the military and is now doing cyber security, and for the country now, not just me.
Did everyone else have the same experience?
Marcia

Battle Axe, I have printed out the introduction to the mystery....and I did not have anything like that happen....I would not click on anymore links with whatever it is you have downloaded.....sometimes hackers are pretty inventive and I have click on innocent looking stuff. Most of the time I have recognized I don't want to go there.....good if you have some computer person who can help you with this....my nephew is an IT person and I will call him when I panick and he usually say as long as I haven't given out any info, I am OK...but one time he did come over and sort it all out.....I do use Norton on my computer also even though my internet provider apparently has a virus catcher too and it has stopped a few things.....sometimes I just shut everything off and restart too....

toverly 11-01-2020 06:14 AM

Thanks for posting Joe'smom. I'm headed to Lowes today. I thought I wasn't planning on it this year but your intro reminds me of how fun it is. May have to jump into this one head first. Maybe with yardage this year.

sewingpup 11-01-2020 06:17 AM

I do not know if I am going to do the mystery at this point. I do not want to go out shopping as I am old and feeble. But not too old and feeble to give up quilting.....Anyway, I was thinking I did not have enough grey....but without even going up to the attic to look in my attic stash, I managed to find more than half the amount Bonnie said we would need....so, I may just do it....If I find a big enough piece of grey....I just may think of doing everything in one fabric for each color....never have I done that before....

Onebyone 11-01-2020 08:02 AM

I use the free AD Blocker and it stops all those ads and pop ups on Bonnie Hunter blog site. I wouldn't go to her site without some kind of ad blocker program.

quiltsRfun 11-01-2020 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Mkotch (Post 8429253)
Substituting colors for Bonnie's can be confusing. Anybody got a system worked out for this?

If you have the paint chips or a print out of the paint chips, attach a scrap of the fabric for the colors you’re using to the corresponding paint chip. Then refer to this for each clue.

joe'smom 11-01-2020 08:16 AM

Battle Axe, I'm so sorry this happened to you! I have seen these download messages interspersed on many quilting websites I go to. I've learned to never click on anything that commands me to download. When we first got our current computer, I was innocently clicking on every download message that popped up, and it completely messed up the computer and we had to get expert help to straighten it out. I hope you can get it all fixed quickly.

joe'smom 11-01-2020 08:30 AM

I am thinking about joining in, but I don't want to use Bonnie's colors. I hated my Good Fortune quilt which did follow her colors!

I have a lot of blues, greens, and purples in my stash, but I'm really lacking in grays. So I'll have to go get a few more to mix in. I'm also thinking about adding in turquoise. Substituting colors for Bonnie's can be confusing. Anybody got a system worked out for this?

I have not tried substituting colors for the winter mystery, but one thing I recall people doing is finding a focus fabric they like and using that to plan a palette. There are also a number of palette websites that I see people referring to for inspiration. I did substitute colors for the Unity quilt using that 3-in-1 color tool Bonnie promotes, and that worked well for me.

With the lack of value contrast between the 5 colors (I'm including gray as one of the colors) and taking Bonnie's photos of her fabrics as a clue, which show a wide range of value, I would say the main thing is that you have good contrast between your neutral and all of your colors, and make sure that whatever represents your gold and orange, that there is good contrast there.

toverly 11-01-2020 08:41 AM

Just pulled the color chips. Here's a clue for everyone on this board. Red, Orange and Green are in Color Pizzazz. White and Gray are in Perfectly Political. Yellow is in Global Spice. Sherwin Williams color are in Collections. If they are out of a particular color, there are smaller color swatches in the brochures at the bottom of each collection. Happy Hunting!

joe'smom 11-01-2020 08:50 AM

That reminds me! I don't know if this is new because of the covid, but Sherwin Williams will send you the chips for free!

https://colorchips.sherwin-williams....RBMuL5q8L_FeCM

IrishNY 11-01-2020 10:12 AM

I am thinking about joining in, but I don't want to use Bonnie's colors. I hated my Good Fortune quilt which did follow her colors!

I have a lot of blues, greens, and purples in my stash, but I'm really lacking in grays. So I'll have to go get a few more to mix in. I'm also thinking about adding in turquoise. Substituting colors for Bonnie's can be confusing. Anybody got a system worked out for this?

Mkoch, I change the colors every year because I don't want my quilt to look like everyone else's. I always decide on what colors I want to use, then take a black and white picture of Bonnie's chips to determine value and make sure I have the same mix of light, medium and dark values. Most colors can be any of the three, depending on whether it is tinted or shaded.

The other factors I consider is having enough contrast between all colors since I don't know what will be touching in the finished quilt and making sure I really like the color that requires the most fabric, since it will be the dominant color in the quilt. It's a risk but I haven't been disappointed in the result yet and I've done 7 of the MQs. Good luck with your choices. .