Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunter-2020-2021-winter-mystery-grassy-creek-t312961.html)

suern3 01-02-2021 03:47 PM

I really like the look of the string pieced block but I have chosen to do my MQ all in grunge yardage so that won't work for me at this point. I am questioning my choice now. Only doing half the clues so maybe once it all comes together I will like it better.

Stitches23 01-02-2021 04:01 PM

I like the look of the stringed pieces but my initial thought is it looks busy with the rest of the pieces. I'm not going to piece mine but feel I can always change my mind at a later date.
Finally finished with the holidays and clue 4. Almost have 5 finished and 6 should go quickly so I'll be caught up in no time. LOL.
Love seeing everyone's progress! Love them all.

redpurselady 01-02-2021 05:21 PM

I'm caught up. I had decided to use a constant grey in my other blocks but was very tempted by the string piecing and was going to do a mix. However after thinking about it I went with the constant grey fabric for this last clue. Hope I don't regret it after the reveal.

sewingpup 01-02-2021 07:38 PM

I am still working on the other clues...clue 1 done, clue 2 stitched but needs spinning and pressing. Clue 3 done as is clue 4...but they are not stitched together yet, clue 5 flying gees done, reds cut out, working on nine patches...but oops...made the orange and green opposite of what they should be...I see some green an orange orphan nine patches in my life. Easier to remake them then to rip and redo and I have plenty of fabric. So for clue 6, I am holding off until I get the rest done and then will decide how to do clue 6, I have mainly fairly big left overs, and not many strings...so I just made go with scrappy blocks or I have two greys left with a lot of yardage in each one so may just make clue 6 a constant grey....

joe'smom 01-02-2021 07:39 PM

I'm thinking if I don't like the grey strings after the reveal, I will look for a pretty batik to use as a grey constant for that clue.

leheath8 01-02-2021 09:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Clue #6 done. Since I’m a new quilter, with very little in the way of scraps, I’m doing yardage. However, I wanted to try the string piecing and purple is my favorite color, so I found a handful of purple strips in my scrap bin and thought I’d give string piecing a try. I had enough for 3 units. I didn’t have any suitable paper in the house, so I just stitched them as they were. I’m hoping I can use them as accent pieces somewhere in the finished quilt.

Mkotch 01-03-2021 02:57 AM

After saying I wouldn't do Clue #6 stringy, I decided to give it a try just to see how it looks. And I like it enough to slog away at. I have strings cut and made 15 rectangles to size yesterday. Hope to make more today and then, by Tues., do the pointy ends. I'm thinking this week is the one I've been dreading.

jillmc 01-03-2021 03:40 AM

Leheath8- your blocks are so pretty! And your points look perfect! Well done! 😁

jmoore 01-03-2021 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby (Post 8447684)
Jmoore, I used the basic layout from Pintangle for 8.5" UF blocks and used 10" squares of muslin to draw the basic lines on the back. The are designed so you can start with the center and work your way out, sewing and flipping the fabric like you'd do with paper piecing. Since I used muslin, there weren't any papers to remove afterwards. I'd been collecting lace and trims for some time, and had several fat quarter bundles of neutrals, and then just let my imagination play. I used invisible thread to zigzag down the loose edges of the lace and trims, and then used machine embroidery thread and did a lot of fancy machine

Cathy, thank you for sharing your process...I hope you will post a close up photo of it when it’s finished. It is a beautiful quilt.

Jillmc, what a handy DH ... I’m sure you are loving your new sewing table.

TX325 I like how bright your units look and kudos for keeping up. Is this your first BH mystery?

jillmc 01-03-2021 07:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are samples of my pieces, minus the little flying geese that seem to have taken flight! Hope they return to their rightful place in my fabric box soon!
Still undecided about the grey strings...the corners are not stitched on yet. I assume these will be sashing blocks.
Not sure my color choices will come together, but it’s been fun. I am only making half of each unit until reveal day.