Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter's 2018-19 Mystery Quilt "Good Fortune" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunters-2018-19-mystery-quilt-good-fortune-t300618.html)

AmyBible 11-02-2018 08:13 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Well I wasn't going to do this year's mystery (still slightly undecided)... I've been busting through my UFO list pretty well and don't want to break my stride... haha.

But I really like the colors together - and I've been happy with the last 3 mysteries (although Ringo Lake was tough) -- IF I decide to do this one I think I'll just go with 1 fabric - no scraps (eeks!)

I found some good matches in my stash but I'm mulling over using orange as a neutral and subbing yellow for the orange - or maybe yellow and purple and eliminate the red.... Guess I have a few weeks to decide. :)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]603370[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]603371[/ATTACH]

Carol in WI 11-02-2018 08:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Amy I love your color combos - either would be very striking. I'm still sitting on the edge and haven't decided. But I do have this layer cake with blue's that I really like and have wanted to do something with blue/tan/brown. What do you think ladies, would this combo give enough contrast or "pop"?

joe'smom 11-02-2018 09:27 AM

Amy, that neutral in your top photo is adorable! Your green seems a little dark. I've been wondering what value pitfalls to avoid, and the only potential problem I can think of is having colors next to each other that are too dark to differentiate hues. Unless we'll have a neutral between every piece of every color?

Carol, that looks beautiful to me.

quiltsRfun 11-02-2018 09:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Look what I found at Tuesday Morning. Might be fun to do it all in solids. I was tempted to buy one of each and do a smaller quilt but I resisted. If I decide to jump in I’ll try to work up another color combination from my stash.

sewbizgirl 11-02-2018 11:37 AM

Nice Tuesday Morning find! Beautiful color gradations.

I stopped by Lowes and got the paint chips today. They are very basic, heavily saturated primary and secondary colors. Exactly like crayons... in the box of 8. I'm glad she gave three examples of the neutral range. It's helpful to have chips for those. Still not committing to this quilt until I see a little more... but the unknown factor is exciting. Just don't want to have a big UFO on my hands, because it was so complicated (like Ringo Lake!) Whoever said RL 'wore them out', I'm with you on that!

Carol, your fabrics look nice but one thing stands out to me: The 'tans' look like a darker range of neutrals. I would probably pick a bolder color, if you want the same impact as Bonnie intended. She's got 4 bold, saturated colors, and then many neutrals. Looks like this quilt will be lots and lots of neutral. And then lots of orange.

It's fun to pull those fabrics, but I have so many pulled collections already, for different quilts in progress. Will try to complete some before I pull BH colors.

Gee, it sounds like I'm making this quilt! Well... who knows? :D

AmyBible 11-02-2018 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom (Post 8154121)
Amy, that neutral in your top photo is adorable! Your green seems a little dark. I've been wondering what value pitfalls to avoid, and the only potential problem I can think of is having colors next to each other that are too dark to differentiate hues. Unless we'll have a neutral between every piece of every color?

Thanks Joe's Mom - the green is not quite as dark as the photo and is very close to Bonnie's paint chip. I'm ok with it even if it's not a lot of contrast and I also really like the light fabric with flowers -- husband hates it and wants me to do the version with orange as the neutral - haha - quilt is not for him though... not sure who it is for - someone that likes orange I think.

If it is helpful to someone, especially if you plan to switch colors around; the % breakdown of colors using Bonnie's yardages are:
13.64% = Jay Blue
8.52% = Kilkenny Green
11.93% = Show Stopper Red
25.00% = Robust Orange/Outgoing Orange
40.91% = Neutrals (Marshmallow/Choice Cream/OysterBar)

AmyBible 11-02-2018 12:33 PM

QuiltsRfun - oh my gosh those solids are beautiful. I think using those for the mystery is a great idea. Wish I had a Tuesday Morning near me. We used to but it closed. :(

pinkflowers 11-02-2018 02:05 PM

So happy to see this thread! I so appreciate everyone's discussions and input on the Board.

I found all paint chips except the blue, which was all out. The gentleman at Lowes told me he just ordered more. I waiting too long to get paint chips for ORL, and had a hard time finally finding them, so I went out as quick as I could this time. And still was too late!

Still thinking about my color choices. I am wondering about going with all solids this time, either scrappy solid or one solid fabric per color choice.

I may also only do a half size, which is just a 36" square wall hanging. ORL and En Provence put me really behind on several other projects. Even so, I enjoy Bonnie's mysteries!

TheMerkleFamily 11-02-2018 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by AmyBible (Post 8154201)

If it is helpful to someone, especially if you plan to switch colors around; the % breakdown of colors using Bonnie's yardages are:
13.64% = Jay Blue
8.52% = Kilkenny Green
11.93% = Show Stopper Red
25.00% = Robust Orange/Outgoing Orange
40.91% = Neutrals (Marshmallow/Choice Cream/OysterBar)

Thank you for putting it all into perspective and since I'm not excited about a red/orange/neutral quilt, with a dash of blue/green thrown in, I'd have to re-think colors or maybe just sit this one out. Like so many others.. I have a stack of to-dos, ufos, etc.. and haven't yet forgotten the immense amount of time it took to complete my ORL.. But, then again, I also loved the process, appreciate all that I learned and so.. whew.. I dunno what I'm gonna do :D

In the meantime, I love everyone's unique take on fabric selection and look so forward to your parade of finished clues each week after Thanksgiving!

P.S. I'm most curious to see Kassaundra's spin on this years mystery! I'm certain it will be delightful as always :)

joe'smom 11-02-2018 03:30 PM

quiltsRfun, what beautiful colors! I think solids are a great idea.

sewbizgirl, I'm glad you're considering joining. Resistance is futile, LOL.

Christine, if memory serves, the final look of ORL surprised some people based on the fabric percentages, so perhaps the orange won't seem as dominant within the pattern.