Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunters-2019-2020-frolic-mystery-t307758.html)

Feathers-N-Fur 01-17-2020 04:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my first block. It still needs pressing but shows a lighter blue with a darker aqua. I’m ok with the low contrast, but everyone will need to make that decision themselves.

I have to say I love this quilt.

SusieQOH 01-17-2020 05:14 PM

Feathers- that's lovely!!!
I spent today remaking HST's to match my FG. I don't know how I goofed that up but I did.

hootnannie 01-17-2020 05:40 PM

Appreciative

Originally Posted by joe'smom (Post 8351960)
JanieW, I want to make sure you know that your aqua/blue HSTs are turned the opposite way from Bonnie's.

As to the question of whether this is intermediate or advanced, none of Bonnie's units are especially difficult; I think they would be labeled as beginning or intermediate. I think her quilts seem more difficult because of the numbers of units involved, and then the huge amount of info that is released with the last clue.

I would encourage everyone to realize that you can break up this last 'clue' into many smaller ones, and just deal with one a week if that suits. We have until next Halloween to put this together, LOL.

thanks for your perspective. I’ve been thinking about this all day and it’s been stressful I’m just now getting to part 8 and while it’s not my first mystery quilt with Bonnie I found part 9 daunting. You’re absolutely right it’s not a race and should be fun. It’s been enjoyable so far and challenge makes us grow. I need to remember to break it up in smaller sections and breathe.

Belfrybat 01-17-2020 05:46 PM

Feathers - your block is stunning. With all the intricate directions for this last part, I'm tempted to just make the main block and sash them. We'll see....

In the meantime, I think I'm losing my mind. Was there a step where we cut squares from the aqua? I've ended up with a bunch, but since I'm using stash, these could have been left over from another project. I need to make quite a few more of the HSTs using aqua and blue so can use these if they are not for this mystery.

SusieQOH 01-17-2020 05:52 PM

Belfrey- they may have been from another project. I don't have any.
I'm going to end up with a lot of raspberry and blue HST's due to my error. I'll save them for another project.
Great comments by everyone! We will get this done eventually!

I'm finding I really need to turn off the music or audiobooks & concentrate on this project. It's doable but I need to limit distractions.

joe'smom 01-17-2020 06:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
LyndaOH, I would say yes to both, maybe firstly to avoid teaching the Y seams in a mystery format, and then to keep things a mystery. Bonnie goes to great pains to do the latter, I think.

Belfry, I think those must be from another project.

Since this star block is so easy to put up without sewing, I decided to do that. That will give me a good perspective in choosing what direction to go with my neutrals. My thoughts are that were I doing this with foresight, I would choose lighter reds and darker Scandas (med. blue). I have about three blocks with optimal contrast, and I think the others all have value issues because of either lack of value contrast within the pinwheel (thanks to the darker reds, but I did want to use stash), or the lack of contrast between my aquas and Scandas (I had trouble finding this shade and settled for some very light ones). But I guess that's part of the fun of a mystery -- working blind and seeing what you end up with!

vadalia 01-17-2020 07:01 PM

Loving everyone's blocks so far- I'm really digging seeing all the green/raspberry/dark blue color palettes come together- and can't wait to see the finished quilts.

Weirdly, Bonnie's patterns are often way too busy for my tastes but, even though this one is definitely busy, I really like the reveal. Maybe it's the colors winning me over <3

JeanieG 01-17-2020 08:16 PM

Well I completed two blocks today. I did not do them like Bonnie though. I had the pieces laid out so I could see what they would look like, and thought why make the corner units and sew the geese together when all you have to do is sew them across, then down. I tried to attach a photo of my two blocks, but once I got it downloaded, could not figure out how to make it post here??? Help someone!!

peaceandjoy 01-17-2020 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by JanieW (Post 8351866)
I’m thinking I’m going to be a rebel and not put the blocks on point. I like the look of it better staying square

Love your fabrics!

I'm also considering not putting blocks on point. I also have a few other things to consider... I have several extra sets of the green/blue FG. I was making extra of everything, just in case. But this is ridiculous! Either didn't count or didn't read correctly. I don't know if I want to try to work them in someplace or just keep them. Also, since we have a lot of neutrals left, maybe I could combine them with the FG to make another border?

Decisions, decisions. Today was catch up on some housework, so haven't even sewn one block yet - although I did lay one out on the ironing board. I was sick early in the week so none of the usual tasks were done. I am not Helen Housekeeper, but if I start hoping nobody drops in, I know it's time to get things taken care of, lol.

Tomorrow I can sew as much as I'd like. Just have to stop checking back online to see everyone's pretty blocks/rows/tops.

peaceandjoy 01-17-2020 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts (Post 8352025)
Seeing the quilt on point, on the fence at the top of the Facebook page, I prefer the units straight rather than on point too, that said I’ve been knee deep kitting up blocks for another project ... after gallbladder surgery next Tuesday I don’t know if I’ll feel like sitting at a machine or standing up sorting the mystery. Either way I’ll be ready!

Kalama - I hope your surgery goes well! I had mine out over 20 years ago and it was such a huge relief! I never had any bad after effects and the recovery was fairly easy. I'm sure that in that time the procedure has improved even more. Just don't over do, take frequent breaks and you should be fine.

Good luck!