Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunters-2019-2020-frolic-mystery-t307758.html)

vadalia 01-20-2020 06:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Queenbarbiej (Post 8352992)
I didn't like the layout of Bonnies mystery quilt. I thought it was too busy for me. I'm changing it up. I will still use the blocks with the pinwheels. But I am using the hst in a different block to go with the pinwheel blocks. As soon as I get it done I will post a picture.

Same. I've always wondered if I could scale up the size of the individual pieces/blocks (like make everything double- or triple-sized, minus the seam allowance) so there were less of them, but bigger, to help mitigate that "too busy" problem. Some quick and dirty Paint cropping and flipping tells me it'd look something like this:

Attachment 622018

Which I very much like. I'd just have to figure out the math (I think it's triple the piece sizes, minus seam allowance, but only make 1/3 the number of pieces... maybe), which is where it all falls apart for me.

ScubaK 01-20-2020 08:32 PM

With every Bonnie Mystery I just try and keep up as I can as I am usually very busy at work during this time. If I get it done by Feb, great., but usually into May. I don't rush. My biggest irritation is not cutting enough pieces or pieces not up to quality even though I thought I had done them correctly.
I dread the cutting of Clue 9...why didn't we have a clue 3B or something?
I think it is one of the beautiful Mystery quilts. I love it...
Keep sewing along everyone....
Kirsten

audsgirl 01-20-2020 10:37 PM

Amybandvet, your Smokey Mountain Stars looks fabulous. I've always liked the look of the slanted stars.
Peaceandjoy, your block looks so beautiful. Your piecing and pressing are superb.
Quiltinglawyer, I love your color scheme. The blocks are very striking.

It's really inspiring to see all the different fabric choices and to read others' plans for their own interpretations of the quilt. I don't have the vision to create a different version and just follow Bonnie's lead. I'm just in the process of cutting the fill-in pieces in clue #9. I threw my back out last week, so it has been hard to stand or sit for very long at a time. I'm eager to see what my blocks are going to look like.

Leslie

joe'smom 01-21-2020 12:05 AM

audsgirl, sorry about your back. I always have to work around mine, too.

Lots of interesting reading to catch up on tonight! I love the pattern as is; as usual, I'm so impressed with the complicated way Bonnie's sashings produce interesting effects. I look forward to seeing all of the variations!

I have my fill-in pieces all cut, pieces arranged on the wall and my sashing pieces sewn. I'm going to work on the four corner quarter blocks tomorrow and then move on to the side half blocks. I'll save the star blocks for last because, being up on the wall, they are not cluttering up my work area.

peace and joy, that's a lovely block!

jmoore 01-21-2020 03:39 AM

Both of your BH blocks (posted by PeaceandJoy and QuilitingLawyer) are wonderful and I applaud you for being able to post photos to share. I can’t wait to see more photos from other members who have been following along the mystery and the color variations.

I am traveling almost 2 hours this morning (after my YMCA workout) to pick up my favorite sewing machine that has been in for service...I will then try to catch up on Clue 7 and 8.

SusieQOH 01-21-2020 05:35 AM

I must not be able to read directions!!!
The 4 blocks (HST's) around each block are not the same fabrics as the geese. Have no idea how I did that.
Last night I sorted everything out. Today I will be redoing a lot of HST's because I can see that it makes a difference.
I need to go back to school haha

AlvaStitcher 01-21-2020 05:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are my first two blocks. Well not my first two blocks as I put the first two blocks together incorrectly! I used the same fabric in the surround as the pinwheel fabrics. I think these two blocks are prettier so I will be remaking the others.

SusieQOH 01-21-2020 06:20 AM

Alvastitcher- beautiful blocks!!

joe'smom 01-21-2020 06:59 AM

AlvaStitcher, those are lovely! I'm so excited to see everyone's quilts!

Queenbarbiej 01-21-2020 08:16 AM

SusieQ my hst's that went with the pinwheels didn't match either. After I saw they didn't match I liked it better than them matching. Hopefully I will have some pictures to post this weekend of the blocks I am doing.