Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunters-2019-2020-frolic-mystery-t307758.html)

SusieQOH 02-16-2020 11:47 AM

Claire, thank you for the pic. It's so lovely!!

I'm in a funk. After all that work I really don't like the end result! Not sure what I'm going to do with it.
I started a new quilt for my baby granddaughter and am happy again! :)
It's called All You Need is Love and a Cat. Darling pattern!

KalamaQuilts 02-16-2020 12:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by AlvaStitcher (Post 8361145)
I I am joining the blocks “on point”. But I have a question...if you pieced it in horizontal rows, did you need extra half-block units? I might change my mind about the layout and take it all apart.

I don't think so, as you can't stagger the blocks, you know 4 blocks one row, 2 blocks and 2 1/2 blocks on the next, the sashing wouldn't work out. At least that's my thought without looking at my blocks.

I Really didn't like one, it had 3" blocks in it and by that time that was Way Huge to me :) But it made a fine back.

edited to add photo

Krisb 02-16-2020 01:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This top is done. Need to decide whether to add a “calm down “ border. May layer today; may be all done by next weekend. Or I may pull out 2 UFO’s and do those instead.

origamigoldfish 02-16-2020 04:12 PM

Krisb, I love your pinwheel border!

Krisb 02-16-2020 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by origamigoldfish (Post 8361467)
Krisb, I love your pinwheel border!

Thank you. The sawtooth borders just didn’t go with the body of the quilt, in my mind.

WMUTeach 02-16-2020 05:21 PM

Iceblossom, I agree. Those that made this quilt of yardage and perhaps solids would have a more pleasing result. I love scrappy, and make almost all of my quilts with scraps but for me this one does not fit my taste. The overall busy look of this quilt has turned me away. I understand the joy of the challenge but I fear I would be like SuzieQOH, frustrated by the amount of work for a piece that I did not take pleasure in. The fabrics that I had set aside from my stash will return to their bins and show up in other efforts. I will continue to lurk and post but I am bowing out on starting this mystery. I have so many other quilts on my "To Do" list that I won't miss this one.

retiredteacher09 02-16-2020 05:53 PM

Iceblossom: I am glad both of you enjoyed your game. I watched part of it and thought about both of you.

KalamaQuilts and Krisb: Lovely!

KalamaQuilts 02-17-2020 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Krisb (Post 8361401)
This top is done. Need to decide whether to add a “calm down “ border. .

Depends on if you intend to hang the quilt, or use it on a bed. On a bed, mostly all you notice is the center.
A not-too-wide white strip would tie in the inner border though, and bring attention to the pieced border.

joe'smom 02-17-2020 07:58 AM

I saw what I think is my favorite arrangement of the HST border this morning on Quiltville. The red HSTs are arranged to form triangles with their base against the first border, with the blue HSTs arranged to form triangles with their base forming the outer edge. This leaves the neutrals to form a zig zag between the two colors.

JanieW 02-17-2020 02:09 PM

I admire you all who have so much accomplished with Frolic. I feel like a hamster in a wheel. I’m only making 15 blocks with sashing with horizontal rows and it seems as if I will never finish. I have all the subunits sewn and trimmed. I have 8 blocks sewn with two rows put together. Then I will have to decide what to do with a border. The sawtooth is not for me. Sigh.

I’m dismayed by how much fabric I cut that I don’t need. I know some of that’s on me because I chose not to make the pieced setting triangles for the on point layout. However those pieces notwithstanding , there’s an awful lot of fabric cut up into pieces that I have to figure out what I will make with them. Lesson learned.

I’m stubborn so will finish this but I’m with Susie QOH.. it’s an awful lot of work.