Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunters-2019-2020-frolic-mystery-t307758.html)

SusieQOH 02-18-2020 03:39 AM

JanieW- I wouldn't have minded if I liked the end result but I don't lol
I also have tons of scraps left and I don't like scraps!! Oh well............ :)

AlvaStitcher 02-18-2020 04:44 AM

I am not enamored with this quilt design either. It might be the colors though. I couldn’t sleep last night so I got back up around midnight and worked for two hours on getting rows put together. I have 3 more to do. Sashing on between the blocks but not between the rows on the remaining rows. Should be able to get the top together, minus the outside borders this morning. I haven’t decided how I want to do the borders. I have all those half-square triangles to use though. Ugh!

SusieQOH 02-18-2020 05:58 AM

I'm not using all those HST's on mine. It's busy enough!!!
I'll save them for something else, or a lot of somethings haha

Emma S 02-18-2020 06:43 AM

Finished Frolic top

1 Attachment(s)
Just finished my Frolic flimsy. It measures 105” square. So good to be back to the Board. Years ago I was victim to a scam that restricted by access.

joe'smom 02-18-2020 07:46 AM

Emma S, that's gorgeous! Your border is very effective. I've been considering using setting triangles rather than the half blocks, so seeing yours will be a big help in deciding that.

I'm sorry we have some in the group who are disappointed with the outcome. There are at least two things you can count on with a Bonnie mystery -- it will be a very busy quilt and it will be a lot of work to put together. I guess we should point this out to first-timers (but on the other hand, I wouldn't want to scare anyone away from trying the mystery).

SusieQOH 02-18-2020 11:17 AM

Emma S- yours came out beautifully! I wish I hadn't used so many fabrics. Yours really looks good.
joe'smom- I'm glad I did this even though.........
If I hadn't I would have missed out. At least I gave it a shot.

Emma S 02-18-2020 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH (Post 8362083)
Emma S- yours came out beautifully! I wish I hadn't used so many fabrics. Yours really looks good.
joe'smom- I'm glad I did this even though.........
If I hadn't I would have missed out. At least I gave it a shot.

One of the reasons I started using just one fabric for each color a couple of years ago was to simplify the appearance and the process. It is true that her quilts are very detailed and take twice the time, if not more. I am kind of hooked. This was my seventh and after awhile it becomes hard to break the tradition. I read where one person increased the size of the units by a certain amount. I wasn’t sure that would work but thought it was a good idea. Normally I refuse to make any unit smaller than 2.5”, Bonnie is my one exception.

KalamaQuilts 02-18-2020 04:16 PM

welcome home Emma!!! Your quilt is stunning, well done.
I have 9 blocks with sashing all combined, I'm pretty chuffed, it is so cute.

I'm a bit of a smarty pants about scams, but I got caught last week, I hope it doesn't come back to bite us.
We've sold on Craigslist many times, the things I put up last week, a text came in right away,
someone seemingly a little leery of online sales...and would Rob text him back a "code" so he would know if he was a Real Person. I didn't catch it in time and he did. Apparently with that code and your phone number they can set up a craigslist account and fake sell stuff.
Since the norm is cash, in person, for the handoff I hope no one will be scammed that way. Apparently it is pretty common, to me it seems like it would be a lot easier to just get a job.

retiredteacher09 02-18-2020 05:14 PM

Welcome back, Emma! That is a beautiful flimsy. Congratulations on finishing it.

WMUTeach 02-18-2020 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Emma S (Post 8361996)
Just finished my Frolic flimsy. It measures 105” square. So good to be back to the Board. Years ago I was victim to a scam that restricted by access.

Absolutely Lovely! I like the soothing colors. It is astounding how much difference the color choices make in a quilt.