Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunters-2019-2020-frolic-mystery-t307758.html)

ckcowl 11-02-2019 03:21 AM

My first Bonnie mystery quilt was the last one Good Fortune. I enjoyed being able to use up scraps and don’t know why it took me so long to look into these. I’m definitely going to work on the Frolic one. I love the colors and have plenty of scraps and stash to use up. It is fun for me to use up scraps ( that never seem to diminish) and put together something I never would have dreamed of doing on my own.

tallchick 11-02-2019 04:37 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I just shopped my stash and other than deciding on one constant green or the assortment or greens, I’m pretty happy with what I found. I may dig trough my neutrals again and pick out ones with prints, I certainly welcome any feedback and suggestions with ones that scream No. All Batiks except background fabric, looking forward to doing this.

southernmema 11-02-2019 05:30 AM

Some of you may already know that Bonnie's beloved, Sadie Jane, crossed rainbow bridge early this morning. If it were me I know it would be hard to forge ahead with excitement about MQ. So hard....Let's all show her we understand and care about her...I know we will.

TheMerkleFamily 11-02-2019 05:35 AM

Tallchick - I love your batiks and think that will make an outstanding Frolic :) I used all batiks for ORL and was very pleased with how it turned out. This is such a fun time watching all the color/fabric selections!

PamelaOry 11-02-2019 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by tallchick (Post 8321724)
I just shopped my stash and other than deciding on one constant green or the assortment or greens, I’m pretty happy with what I found. I may dig trough my neutrals again and pick out ones with prints, I certainly welcome any feedback and suggestions with ones that scream No. All Batiks except background fabric, looking forward to doing this.

i love your selections and wish I had enough batiks to do it in all batiks,

mopec 11-02-2019 07:06 AM

Thank you so much for your reply KalamaQuilts. I will "investigate" further.

Pagzz 11-02-2019 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom (Post 8321603)
NZquilter, I hope it works out that you can join in! I think what Bonnie said was that she'd be away during one of the clues, and that clue would probably be easier because she wouldn't be here to field questions.

I lucked out with the palette this year, as I could not be spending a lot on fabric and dark blues are my most plentiful group.

I suppose it's just as well that I did not have the chips this year, as I then would likely be disappointed with my subdued versions of the colors. This is the closest I've ever come to doing a Bonnie mystery from stash. I've ordered a few pieces of aqua and a constant green (I hope it works out; you never know when choosing by computer). My medium blues are very muted (except for that batik scrap), so I hope that won't be a problem. Do you think I should remove those two darker reds?

I like your colors. I was thinking the quilt would looked pretty somewhat subdued.

toverly 11-02-2019 07:14 AM

Great colors tallchick! These colors are growing on me. I may not change afterall.

Pagzz 11-02-2019 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by mopec (Post 8321598)
Can someone tell me simply what the mystery quilt involves. I have never done or participated in something like this. It does sound interesting but all of you know what you are talking about. Thanks

you can check out the Quitingboard thread from last year for info too. https://www.quiltingboard.com/quilti...e-t300618.html

This is a fun time and I think we all learn so even following along without sewing works. One big plus is seeing the same quilt with different fabric choices...I feel I learn a lot from that but also people will share what techniques are working for them and help each other here on the forum.

joe'smom 11-02-2019 08:45 AM

Pagzz, that's such a good point about learning from seeing the finished quilts, both the different fabric choices and the way people modify the pattern. That's one of my favorite parts of the process.

tallchick, your fabrics look great. I prefer the second photo, with the variety of greens.