Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunters-2019-2020-frolic-mystery-t307758.html)

my-ty 01-02-2020 12:22 PM

I got side-tracked and did not start this mystery as I had planned. I am following along and saving the clues. I have been tempted by each clue because they seem easy/doable. It also seems like more people are completing the clues before the next one is released (or those that are slower are too busy to post).

I like the extra details in this mystery, as I feel that there will be more color matching within a block than in her previous mysteries. To those working on this mystery, you are doing really well... keep up the good work.

KalamaQuilts 01-02-2020 12:42 PM

IceBlossom, I recognize your worry about your beautiful hand dyes, but speaking for myself, I am wiggling like a new puppy to see how it comes out!

My guess in the office pool is reveal on the 24th. I don't think we've used nearly enough neutrals to have a reveal tomorrow. Hoping I don't have jury duty, won't know till after 5 tonight.

IrishNY 01-02-2020 04:19 PM

I did a quick calculation last night. Based on 82" x 82" quilt, we've covered 60% through clue 6. That doesn't count the QST left over from Clue 4. If those become Flying Geese, then we will have 80% done. So I expect a clue tomorrow and next Friday. Maybe next Friday will bring the reveal as well.

This year's MQ seems to have smaller pieces than normal, so more of them. Maybe it's just my perception but I don't remember so many 2" blocks in past years.

Iceblossom 01-02-2020 05:09 PM

I'm slowly plugging away at my sets. I know some people think of me as a quilting machine but today it's taken me all day to finish cutting my Parakeet (gosh, that sounds bad...) and finish about 12 sets. There's a lot of not quilting going on! Going to try to be done before my Tuesday group but if there is another clue tomorrow it might motivate me to get going a bit.

Thanks for your comment, Kalama -- In many ways I'm enjoying these hand dyed fabrics and I think the end result will be lovely and so very not like me! It is pushing my comfort zone in many ways. I knew intellectually from the beginning and sure found out the reality quickly of how some of the fabrics are being down right mean to me (or I was too easy on picking them) and shifting into other color ranges or suddenly turning too dark or too light. But I really enjoy petting and playing with the pieces. I'm among friends and can admit that.

I'm also using a range of variations for my Parakeet. Many of them started from the same piece of just about exactly the paint chip piece of fabric and then I bleached and otherwise treated them as I was stabilizing the other pieces. I had the opportunity that I could have taken and used just that one solid piece of fabric and my life would have been easier... oh well, sometimes all you can say is oh well... That and that there is always something I would do differently, but at least I've grown increasingly happier about the school bus yellow instead of neutral.

joe'smom 01-02-2020 11:05 PM

I found a Bloc-Loc 2x4 flying geese ruler in my ruler drawer. It shows you at a glance just how horrible your geese are.

I have about a third done. One goose is perfect, most are annoyingly wonky and inaccurate but should be usable, and a few I will probably have to do over (or make a smaller quilt). I will finish tomorrow before starting the new clue. If we have more geese, I believe I will research paper piecing and try them that way, or ditch the aqua triangles and use Deb Tucker's trim-down Wing Clipper.

Sandra-P 01-03-2020 03:55 AM

Joe's mom, Got my chuckle for this morning. Lol, my coffee nearly spilled. Mine are far from perfect and I am hoping they are paired next to a piece that is. Iceblossom, I am excited to see how this quilt is going to look with your beautiful colors! Well I did it again, wasnt paying attention, was more focused on getting perfect geese that I made some, (28) out of my aqua. Yes, I also trimmed them listening to the oldies and was just humming along and then it dawned on me I was supposed to use only the blues, not the aqua. So I now have lots of flying geese I will make a pillow out of to go with the quilt and I am not as far along as I thought. This year Bonnie is being less scrappy and it is really throwing me off. So I will get on doing the rest of the correct ones this morning, I have only 13 of those done and am looking forward to the next clue. Oh, and because it is with the two colors of fabric I definitely have to go to the quilt store tomorrow and get more of the aqua.

Cindy60545 01-03-2020 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingLawyer (Post 8346596)
Anyone else feel like these clues are all really fiddily? Normally she's so pull what ever you have and stick in the quilt. This one has been so focused on making sure you have matching sets. I have completely finished half of clues 4 and 6. The rest are cut and ready to chain piece. I did finish clue 5.

I agree that the other QST is probably going to be another flying geese. I'm thinking it might be in neutral... I have tones of neutral left.

I agree with you that we haven't played enough with the neutrals. Maybe that other triangle will be another flying geese or not, who know? But I have a feeling we'll be having a couple of more clues before we're finished. Have you noticed no one has tried putting the parts together to come up with a block configuration so far this year? If they have, I've not seen one.

jmoore 01-03-2020 04:26 AM

Well...Joesmom and Iceblossom, you are further along with your geese than I am. I got side tracked doing the Merry Mayhem project, then had to work yesterday so I will try to get my parakeet green pieces cut today. If today’s clue isn’t too demanding, I should be able to catch up this weekend. I didn’t know Bloc-Loc had a FG ruler.

ka9sdn 01-03-2020 04:43 AM

I was busy with the Merry Mayhem so did not realize Bonnie slipped in number 6! So now I am behind, drat it and I was so happy I had kept up. Oh well let's move on

Iceblossom 01-03-2020 05:15 AM

For the few of us in the world who aren't on facebook,
https://quiltville.blogspot.com/2020...ry-part-7.html

I think this one is going to be fun with my fabric!

But I gotta slog through these sets first. Hubby had early start (4:00 am at work!) so I got up early and put on some music and headed for the cutting table. I'm taking a coffee break between sets and about to go back to the sewing machine. The way I have my house set up, I'm getting a lot of steps in doing 4 at a time. Actually, I'm doing 8 seams at a time, one set of blocks is halfway ahead of the other ones so I don't get them confused. With the music on I'm dancing around a bit too, maybe why it's taking me so long but I'm having fun and I set my own deadlines.