Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Build a quilt around a central character you design (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/build-quilt-around-central-character-you-design-t194381.html)

Jenniky 09-11-2012 04:02 PM

Heya Franky... Works4me you did an awesome job. :thumbup:

QuiltE 09-11-2012 06:04 PM

Helllloooooo Franky!!!
And to you too, W4Me!
Franky really has come to life ... now that's starting to sound like Frosty the Snowman!! :)
I think you need some bright white for the eyes ... just so they jump out at you!!!
For his feet, arms and legs, are you thinking of doing some trapunto? Could be a really nice addition to fill him out! :D

As for your lateness ... keep in mind that this ONE block is the size of what, four of your others? So really now, you're not behind, but moving ahead!!! I do predict though, that you will not keep to one block a month!!!!!! :)

Halloween this year, per chance?
Another sick day for progress? :)

works4me 09-12-2012 05:24 AM

Mornnig all,

Thank you for the compliments on Franky. He is 38" tall by 12" wide, or three times the size of the other sampler blocks. He is also more complicated - 456 individual squares.

The spider web buttons are pale grey and look better as his eyes than as knobs. They are too big for his neck knobs. But, I have great spiders for his neck knobs. I have the perfect sized pumpkins but that doesn't fit with Franky's 100% spider web/spider theme.

No, to this Halloween but not likely this quilt going to wait until next Halloween as scheduled.

Trapunto? I don't think so. More likely pale lime green or orange thread and basic straight line quilting.

QuiltE 09-12-2012 05:39 AM

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice Plans! :)

I know ... a little rushed for this Halloween! :)

works4me 09-12-2012 09:38 AM

And plans have changed. :) I have three of the spider web buttons and I think they would be much better as buttons on Franky's suit coat. Will check when I get home. So, back to an eye search.

QuiltE 09-12-2012 11:13 AM

You'll figure it out ... take your time and look for lots of embellishments as you work on the other blocks. Eventually you'll find exactly what you want! Perhaps there'll be some new things in the halloween decorations this year that'll be just for Franky!! :)

works4me 09-12-2012 11:41 AM

Oh boy. I'll tell hubby you told me to go Halloween shopping. :D

QuiltE 09-12-2012 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by works4me (Post 5509495)
Oh boy. I'll tell hubby you told me to go Halloween shopping. :D

No doubt!
He'll be very pleased.
And will say, "Oh when? ... Better still let's head right on out NOW and we'll use my visa too!"
Good Hubby! :)

works4me 09-12-2012 12:29 PM

A sewing friend of mine is coming to town in October so it will be a good excuse to hit a few fabric stores. Plus, the two quilt shows. :)

QM 09-12-2012 12:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am not joining in. My avatar is one such. I began with a photo of an eagle which I blew up to 4' by 3' (very fuzzy at that point), cut it up and hand appliqued it. I have also done 2 dogs, teddy bears, a skinny 3' tall Sunbonnet Sue, and commissioned Virgin Mary, rock stars, etc. The picture is a hurried Library Sue as a library fundraiser.